April 27th, 2010

Rocket, bomb attacks kill 3

KABUL, Afghanistan — Rocket and bomb attacks in different parts of Afghanistan killed three people and damaged a government compound, authorities said Tuesday.

Three people were killed from a rocket attack in the northern Afghanistan province of Kunduz, the Interior Ministry said. Four people were also wounded in the attack that occurred Monday.

In another attack Monday, a woman and a five-year-old child were wounded in a bomb explosion in Ghazni City, the Interior Ministry said.

Also, rockets fired from an unknown location hit near a government building in the capital Kabul on Tuesday, but caused no loss of life.

The rocket hit a tree in the housing and development ministry compound, said Interior Ministry spokesman Abdul Rahim Zarin.

"Some of the glasses of windows were broken from the shrapnel," he said.

1. MarineinAFG

yes mam!

April 30, 2010 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  2. JD

@marineinAFG
    Give it a rest. That's an ORDER!!!!

April 29, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. MarineinAFG

KAF is probably the dirtiest base I've been to, I was never in south park, I agree that it is disgusting but think about how many people pass through daily and weekly. I'm in Helmand, not on some over crowded over regulated NATO base. Terry W. Brookman if you can put a hole in me from 500 yards away then I'd like to see you try. If you miss, I'm the type of person that could blow up your house and not think twice about it except to hope your were inside, but oh yeah thats right I'm bound by the constitution. So why don't you come out here and you and me can go one on one, when I'm though dislodging my foot from your ass I'll cut out your tongue and maybe then you'll think about what you say before you say it. In the meantime I'll translate, i don't care what you think, i just don't want to hear it and neither do a lot of people, all im saying is keep it to yourself or people that share those views. You should look up the laws on treason just for future reference

April 28, 2010 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JD

Anthony is a true hero!!!!!!!!!!!

April 28, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Elle

I know Anthony's brother and family.... I am extremely unhappy. This is horrible.

April 28, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. JD

@marineinAFG,
    I am in country also, you sound like the typical brain washed marine. I am at KAF at the moment and I have yet to be impressed with the army or marines. Your fighting skills may be top notch, however your attitudes on base do not impress me. The army and marine compounds, especially south park are pig pens. When I visit these places and I have to piss or crap I wait until I get back to somewhere else. I have seen the insides of your tents, I am embarresed by these sights. You need to set the example that we are better than the others. You people need to behave like you are on a base in the states. You people embaress me...........................

April 28, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Terry W. Brookman

I do have the right to say what I want. The problem is the people who think they have the right to harm me for doing so. That is the reason I have a right to carry and do, try to punch me in the f***ing mouth and I will put a hole in you. I believe everyone has the right to do and say what they want so long as it does not infringe on the rights of someone else. You will find that in the Constitution if you can read. Anyway thanks for putting your as on the line you dumb jar head.

April 28, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  8. MarineinAFG

Anyone who is bickering about leftists this or right wingers that, is stupid in this Marines opinion. Why don't you all go to your political rallies and protests and just shut up about it. No one over here cares about why we fight because we signed up, and we do what we are told, there are republicans,democrats,liberals and conservatives alike serving among our ranks and what happens when it hits the fan? We run to the sound of the guns, bombs, and cries for help because no matter what, our common goal is to help our fellow man, and our brothers in arms. We love what we do but the politics makes our lives miserable. Some of us live in really bad conditions and some of us don't. I have been fortunate to see both sides of this particular issue and the situation is almost the same, most on the inside want to be out and most on the outside want to be in. You have the right to say whatever you want, and we have the right to punch you in your f****** mouth if we disagree, God Bless America.

April 28, 2010 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
  9. Tom Tinker

Sorry about your nephew. I read young nephew and immediately thought of an 8 year old...maybe a 12 or 13 year old....and didn't realize that children were allowed over here.

April 28, 2010 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  10. Terry W. Brookman

Better hope the wars never get won because that's the only job left. Fight and die or sit on your ass and wait for the fat bankers to foreclose on your house. As far as right and left Democrat or Republican it's just good cop bad cop. There is only one party and it is the green party and it has nothing to do with save the planet. Every one of those SOB's are bought and paid for by the company's that have moved your jobs to China. The real irony of this is we are borrowing the money to fight trillion dollar wars for morons who think freedom is being able to blow up their neighbors from China. Go figure!

April 27, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Terry W. Brookman

We won that war in 2002, that's what George said.

April 27, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kris

Being a prior Marine & current soldier, I can honestly say the U.S. needs to make up their mind to what role the military plays & what the politicians in both countries will play. We're over here to fight & liberate, not to hold their hand and take long walks through the desert. Some fat rich guy is saying what's being done wrong or critizing us after we destroy something, but they're not here and most likely have never been in a combat situation. Servicemembers getting put on trial for defending their team & we're getting screwed over for it.

April 27, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. JD

Daniel-2,
    If the Islamic extremist had not attacked us on 9/11 we would not be over here protecting our country and your way of life. Give us Airmen, Soldiers, Sailors and Marines that are here in Afghanistan and Iraq a break. If the politicians would give us a goal and then stay out of it, we would have been home years ago. Then the people in these countries would be prisoners to the extremist. I have personally seen the suffering caused by these criminals. I am here to give all citizens of the world the right to freedom and a safe life.

From Afghanistan

April 27, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  14. psmail2

I still do not understand why Republicans are said to support "freedom fighters", but Democrats are said to support "terrorists"?

April 27, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Brandy

@ Patricia Davis-Turner,
    Your nephew will be in my prayers tonight as well as my husband who is over there currently and I have not had any sort of contact with today.

@ Daniel-2, maybe you should look inside yourself and try to find out where all this anger is coming from. Lashing out on a public board will get you no where. You want things to change? Write your congressman, try to make a difference. But lashing out at a poor woman on an internet board will get you nowhere.

April 27, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Daniel-2

@JD.It's right-wing thugs like you who get us into all these useless wars and you claim not to be a criminal?After all criminals murder people like we're doing in both Afghanistan and Pakistan with those ungodly drone aircraft and their 500lb.bombs.And your total indifference to human suffering is quite revolting!

April 27, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Erica Sherrill Owens

Patricia Davis-Turner,

Can you please contact me? I'm a writer for The Hattiesburg American and we are trying to find out about Anthony. Several of his father's former coworkers want to know information as well.

601-584-3101 or 601-543-3746
    Erica Sherrill Owens
    Hattiesburg American staff writer
    esowens@hattiesburgamerican.com

April 27, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Kris

We are over here in Afghanistan, pretty much sustaining territory & the Afghan government is lacking the ability to step up and take control. Instead, they're holding back being skeptical, & we as service-members are paying the price. Honestly, if they want to sit back & do nothing, then send us home. We can't be their nation's police department.

April 27, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  19. JD

Daniel-2, GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You are a worthless liberal thug that loves the criminals that they are. You are revolting, We are out here to protect our freedoms, free from attacks from these criminals and your right to think this way, just keep it to your self.

April 27, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Emily

Your nephew is in my prayers as well. My brother is headed into the mountains there this week, and we are all on edge.

April 27, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Daniel-2

@Paticia Davis-Turner>It makes me angry that your nephew got hurt fighting this useless war like so many others,plus the fact that these right-wing thugs only use this war for their political ends as the war profiteers use it to fatten their wallets.It's all so senseless and revolting!

April 27, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Bigbob22

Sad things happen to the ones who never expect it but fear it.

April 27, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  23. Military Chaplain's Wife

So sorry to hear of your nephew's injuries. He will be in my thoughts and prayers; may God bless your family. When your nephew is recovered, please tell him we said "THANK YOU" for his service!

April 27, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  24. Patricia Davis-Turner

Sad to say that one of the critically wounded was my young nephew. He is now fighting for his life and we as a family are praying for a miracle.

April 27, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |