April 27th, 2010

Attack in Kandahar leaves 4 dead, 30 injured

(Updated at 7:13 p.m.) At least four people were killed and 30 others were injured in the attack, according to Zalmai Ayoubi, the Kandahar governor's spokesman.

(Posted at 1:49 p.m.) KABUL, Afghanistan - At least 10 men were injured Tuesday when attackers targeted a private security company near the Kandahar Airfield, according to Zalmai Ayoubi, the Kandahar governor's spokesman.

Ayoubi said a car bomb detonated at the gate of the security compound and then Taliban militants infiltrated. Another blast then occurred inside the camp and a firefight ensued, he added.

It is not clear whether the blast was caused by a suicide attack, but an ambulance driver said the attackers were wearing suicide vests.

Afghan and NATO-led soldiers have secured the area, Ayoubi said.

Post by:
Filed under: Kandahar
  1. Wanderer

Ladies and Gentleman of the JURY....

You have read the comments from all. The fact are clear here... 4 KIA & 30 WIA, all were TCN and Afghan with 1 being Western Expat. Their mission was to protect other's lives and helping support the local Afghanies They where not out looking for anyone, not conducting hostile acts or operating ilegally, but they are willfully attacked. These poeple have families they are triing to support. They do not have the ability to sit on their butts and make stupit A** comments about who is to blame or why/why not we should be here.
    This security team was the victim here, the insurgents/Taliban (a group that attacks anyone who does not cower to them), they are the problem. This like arm group of thugs attacking Wal-mart distrobution center and killing the gaurds. No differnce.

Some of you feel that we should leave afghanistan, we do not belong here..... well to that I say come here an see the smiles on the little girls' faces as they go to school. The man that can finally feed and shelter his family. The husband and wife going to vote. These things we take for granted.

And yes I am an American here in Afghanistan, walking among the people of Afghanistan, without body armor daily. So before you make any more comments....get off your high horses, get your butts out of them chairs and come here and see for yourself. The news only reports the gloom and doom, very rarely the possitive. Then and only then you will see the differnce these people are doing for the Afghan people.

So...is peace better ... YES, but sometimes to get there it takes a war.

May 1, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  2. Viper

I think this outfit that got hit was not the high paying one that some are speaking of. Moreover, there were TCNs, probably Nepalese that were KIA, they are not high paid security.
    I envisioned such attacks at many of the same type of facilities, passed on as catastrophy waiting to happen time and again. There are other facilities, same outfit and similiar companies, doing a job in support of OEF, out in the open, security in question.
    Maybe the outfit will learn from this.....and protect those out there
    Whether a soldier or a security detail, having the right equipment may stand a better chance to engage the enemy in any attack.

May 1, 2010 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. Centurion

I am the Ops Manager of the PSC compound that was hit. I was my great honour and privilege to have commanded the men on the inside of the compound during the contact.

Fullback, your brother is one of them and he is well.

Devil's Advocate you, and many of you on this blog, have got it so far wrong it isn't funny. Some facts for you that may, or may not, change your sheltered opinions. First, none of my guys, not a single one of them, is on a salary even remotely close to the figures bandied about on this blog. In fact, our average salary is well below that of a Junior NCO in most coalition armies. Let me assure you, we are not here for the money.

Second: there are no US citizens in my unit. My expats are from other western coalition countries and the majority of my guard force are local nationals with others from TCN (Third Country Nations).

Third: we did not start the fight that night. A massive VBIED breached one of our compound walls, followed by other BBIED and many good men were killed defending a piece of infrastructure crucial to the successful prosecution of this war on behalf of the Afghan people. The bombers got precisely what they deserved so spare me your ‘oppressed freedom fighter’ rubbish.

I will now leave most of you to your hand-wringing. We have a job to do.

April 29, 2010 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. Daniel-2

@d and Terry W.Brookman.As I already know,you Tea Partiers are deeply in love with these obscene wars,but do you have to use Tea Party lingo to show it,especially d?

April 28, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Terry W. Brookman

Nuke them!

April 28, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. d

fuk this

April 28, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Marine Sgt's mom

to devil's advocate and others with similar thinking.................... Please know that many many of the contractors, especially in security forces are former US military Soldiers and Marines. They have returned to the middle east with the amazing skills they have learned while serving. They by no means are all making the type of money you have indicated. The security companies provide trainers as well as employees who are in the field with the soldiers, walking the same ied laden streets, flying in the same helicopters and going where needed.
    Please do not demean them, and remember that they are working just as hard and right alonside our soldier's for our security!

April 28, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. devils advocate

lorri - I believe iraq paramedic was making a sarcastic statement about past instances where private security personel were prosecuted or an attempt to prosecute was made due to similar circumstances!!

April 28, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. devils advocate

Fullback, calm down there....I guess I should have been more specific...the american contractors, hence the referrences to the economy, meaning the american economy, so I would admit I cant speak of the salaries of contractors from other contries.......and as far as knowing more or less about coutries blightened by conflict...well true it would be ignorant of me to assume I know or have more experience than you, never the less it would be equally ignorant of you to assume that I dont know about middle eastern conflict, from a soldiers stand point. So, yes, there was somewhat of a miscommunication. My main point was the burdon of the cost of many of the american contactors who, many of whom we do not need down range, has on the american economy.......but of course, there is also a need for some of them as well.....guess thats why I am playing the "devils advocate"??

April 28, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lorri

"I wonder if they will prosecute the private security personnel for engaging the enemy this time.
    May GOD Bless & keep us all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Iraq Paramedic"

Did I read this story wrong? Why in the world would they prosecute the private security company? Taliban forces did a suicide bombing on their gate, infiltrated their compound and you want charges against the security company? I'm confused........... Maybe you were being sarcastic?

April 28, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Fullback

Devil's Advocate – I think you mis-read my post. At no point did I compare the job my brother does to that of an allied soldier. Nor do I understand your rather bitter remarks about the salary he earms in comparison to that of a soldier. I was simply stating that the article refers to an incident in which people died has suddenly become some sort of political debate about the merits of the Obama/Brown et al foreign policy. We are from Northern Ireland and probably know some what more than you do about living in a country blighted by conflict so to question my brother's methods for wanting to work in a country where he felt he could make a difference I find not only quite belittling but also insulting.

April 28, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Steven

devils advocate–I may be ignorant, but at least i don't support the war in Afghanistan.

April 28, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  13. devils advocate

steven...LOL, theres some ignorance talking there!!!

April 28, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Steven

Sorry, Army Captain in Afghanistan, I simply don't feel threatened here. Besides, even if I did, that would be my problem to handle, not yours. I am quite capable of surviving in this world without Uncle Sam protecting me.

April 28, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. devils advocate

one more thing....CPT...I'll take that $10 cause they cnn published it!! lol

April 28, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  16. devils advocate

and to the Army Captain in Afghanistan......AMEN BROTHER!!! I too am tired of all the whinney, know it all people that are so quick to talk and opine on these situations, but when was the last time they picked up a rifle, or talked to a local....but yet "they know" what afgan people want......they must have went to some ivy league school where there pot smoking professor, in all his years of experience in some big american city, learned first hand about the middle east!! lol

April 28, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  17. devils advocate

Fullback....granted contractors are serving in some capacity over seas, I find it a little belittling to compare them to any of the allied soldiers.....after all, the average contracter makes what....$180,000 per year over there, were as the average soldier makes?? Well look it up if you dont know. What seems to be forgotten is the contractors are MAINLY there because it pays....and pays well, so I wouldnt confuse it with patriotism per say!! But, what do I know.....well one thing actually.....does anyone ever use the freedom of information act?? Obviously not, because if one did then it would be quite easy to see why iraq and afghanistan is costing millions/day each...because all these contractors, employed by corportations ran by polititians who grossly over price the contracts....yeah, thats great for our economy and oh by the way, what the first $80,000 of a contractors salary is tax free.....why as a reward for making so much money?? LOL No wonder our economy is in ruins!!

April 28, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Army Captain in Afghanistan

$10 says CNN won't publish this

Many of you armchair activists live inside of a nice, comfortable bubble. It is quite easy for you to say things about "knowing what the afghans want". The fact is, the afghans want to eat and work and sleep live their lives on thier own accord. And if we were not here, chances are they would be slaughtered by themselves. Many of your fools have no idea of what the taliban did after ridding their country of the Soviets....But you write like you pretend to. I have seen women skinned for going to work. I have seen scores of men executed for speaking with women outside thier family by driving iron rail road spikes through thier skull (in public). The fact is you sheltered little children, if NATO and ISAF were not here, the taliban would run this country and people would live in terror daily.
    Additionally, all of you Americans have quite a short term memory. You say, "pull out and bring out boys home". What it will take for you to change your attitude is a bomb detonating in your childrens jewish school, or perhaps at your husband's office. Left alone, the people we deal with on a daily basis spend all of thier time thinking of ways to iradicate the west and anything that is not Islam. Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, and Airmen do not forget because we do not live in a bubble, we know what the reprocussions of inaction are, and our patriotism affords us an adequate short term memory. What our country needs is a draft, or some type of mandatory peace corps type service obligation. Maybe then you may gain a bit of perspective.
    Many of you armchair activists live inside of a nice, comfortable bubble. It is quite easy for you to say things about "knowing what the afghans want". The fact is, the afghans want to eat and work and sleep live their lives on thier own accord. And this is happening everywhere. And if we were not here, chances are they would be slaughtered by themselves. Many of you fools have no idea of what the taliban did to their own countrymen after ridding their country of the Soviets....But you write like you pretend to. I have seen women skinned for educating little girls. I have seen scores of men executed for speaking with women outside thier family via driving iron rail road spikes through thier skull (in public). The fact is you sheltered little children, if NATO and ISAF were not here, the taliban would run this country and people would live in terror daily for fear of reprisal of all things Talib..
    Additionally, all of you Americans have quite a short term memory. You say, "pull out and bring out boys home". What it will take for you to change your attitude is a bomb detonating in your children's jewish school, or perhaps at your husband's office buliding. Left alone, the people we deal with on a daily basis spend all of thier time thinking of ways to eradicate the west and anything that is not Islam. True scholars of history do not forget because we do not live in a bubble, we know what the reprocussions of inaction are, and we have an adequate short term memory. What our country needs is a draft, or some type of mandatory peace corps type service obligation. Until then you will do what is popular until something very tragic happens to you personally.

April 28, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Greg

God, are you listening? How come all of these people are dying? Aren't you paying attention? Are you spanking it again? Come on, your smoke break is over. Can't you stop all of these innocent people from dying? Oh wait a minute, the Angel Gabriel is calling me again. He told me that God is busy. All of you Christians and Muslims can continue killing each other, he doesn't care. What, you think God is going to take one side over the other? Is that what all of you simplings think? I would pray if it would do any good. We definitely need a new "God". The one you all have been praying to all of your lives doesn't have any power at all. I wish "He" did; that sure would be nice, then none of this would have ever happened.

April 28, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  20. DAVE

Time to end this and bring our boys home

April 28, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  21. Fullback

As my brother works for the security company involved in this incident, I find some of the comments here rather disappointing. These are men simply doing a job to better the lives of the people of Afghanistan and being yet to hear from my brother I would ask all that read this article to thank whatever God you pray to that it was not your brother, son or father that lost their life.

April 28, 2010 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  22. Iraq Paramedic

May GOD Bless & keep us all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 28, 2010 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  23. JJK

Better to be fighting in Afghanistan than to be fighting on the streets of the UK, US, or Canada (yes, this is a coaltion fight folks, fought with coalition (granted, mostly US) money). There is no "end state" for this fighting and that's the hard truth. Fighting an insurgency is like spraying your house for insects every year. Yes, it causes hardship, but it's better than the alternative of fighting the bastards in the US and having these very bad people blowing themselves up in our country. If we pull out of Afghanistan, we might as well adopt radical Islam like the Taliban want. These crazy bastards have declared jihad on YOU.

If we succeed in Afghanistan, maybe the middle east can stop being the worst place in the world and the people can have hope that their country can prosper. These wars have had minimal impact on the economy, we haven't raised taxes to specifically fund them (arguable, I know), and we certainly aren't rationing basic goods like in WWII because of it. Retracting back to the US and standing idly by waiting for another strike would be the cowards' way out.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

April 28, 2010 at 6:31 am | Report abuse |
  24. patel

this war going to end soon I wonder how many young american have to loose thier life? Sad very sad.

April 28, 2010 at 3:18 am | Report abuse |
  25. Georgeous

What if oneday the US decided to pull out of these unstable countries? Would that change things for the better? What if they were left to handle their own business themselves? Would the west and innocent natives be safe? The whole thing is a dilemma for the Obama administration. That's because those cowards are capable of anything given the chance. God help this confused bucked up world!

April 28, 2010 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  26. Daniel-2

@Jimmy the Big Fat Greek.Here's a shining example of that stupid right-wing lynch mob mentality.You must be one of those hate mongering Tea Partiers who thinks they know more about what the Afghans want than the Afghans themselves.

April 28, 2010 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  27. Jimmy the Big Fat Greek

We have to root out and kill every single Taliban until none are left.

April 27, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  28. BSTeh

It is not fair to push the Afghan fiasco onto Obama anymore than it is fair to blame Lyndon Johnson for continued US involvement in Vietnam. In both cases, they inherited the situation and as the nation's Commander-in-Chief has to act decisively mindful of the watchful eyes of the opposition and the electorate.

Do they want to appear a wimp or do they have to appear that they have the situation under control? In Obama's case, he had already expressed before he was elected President that Afghanistan was a war that the US has to win.

He merely acted according to his campaign objective although he may have been misguided in thinking that Afghanistan is the key to US's security when it is the US that is the key to its own security. Think about it. Ponder and consider objectively why the US appears to be under siege. When you find the answer then you can look for the solutions.

In my humble opinion, the US could do more to strengthen its economy and improve the life of its people if it can marshal its resources that are presently being frittered away on distant shores on the assumption that all these activities will improve the security of the country and its populace. Much as I hope that the assumption is correct, I fail to see the possibility.

For as long as the US is directly involved in untying Gordon's knots that are the Israeli-Palestinian conundrum and the Axis of Evil serial purveyors of nuclear nightmares, amongst others, it will tie itself up as inextricably as the original Gordon. Is there a less damaging and more cost efficient way out and forward for the Nation of the greatest Genes Pool in the history of Mankind?

Or will it, of its own volition and obduracy, slowly and tiredly unwind and undo itself into the past tense as so many preceding Great Powers had. The US had the opportunity to establish itself as a great world leader but it overlooked that great leadership is based on wisdom, righteousness, compassion and benevolence as much as on moral courage, technological prowess and military strength.

Ideologies such as Democracy and Freedom and values such as Human Rights and Liberty could be better disseminated and cultivated rather than being forced, coerced, or transplanted for instant vindication. Does it have to be reduced to political platitudes like 'it's my way or the highway' or 'You are with me or against me'?!

No considerations for National Sovereignty, Nationalism, Native Rights, Cultures, Mores and Beliefs? Mr.Obama, where do you lead us from here?

April 27, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Duane Wells

All the Taliban are just a bunch of cowards, not caring who they hurt or kill. Come out and actually fight, not detonate the cowardly suicide vest. COWARDS!!!!

April 27, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Daniel-2

It just goes on and on and the Obama administration doesn't care.But again why should Barack Obama care as long as he gets to live like a king in the White House and the people wallowing in their right-wing mob mentality just eat it up.Quite repulsive!

April 27, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Mohammad A Dar

Tell us some thing new. like peace is coming, this has been happening for long time now.

April 27, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |