April 22nd, 2010

Volcano's effect on Afghanistan

CNN's Atia Abawi examines the effect the ash cloud is having on commercial and military travel in Afghanistan.

1. second protester against cnn

I agree with protester from cnn; jon's comment needs to be struck from this discussion. Its too similar to:
    1) Evicting black peoples back to Africa
    2) Evicting the Jews out of Europe
    3) Evicting the Japanese out of America
    and
    4) Evicting the native americans from "our land"

but I also think Smith from Oregon's and Sally's comments need to also be stuck for sheer stupidity. Sally you need to go read a Koran and visit a mosque. Smith, you need to be a productive person by going to Afghanistan to help the people there and see what reality is for yourself.

April 26, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  2. Veronique

I think that building schools is the thing. Go read 3 Cups of Tea. I think that we should provide for Afgan girls who want to study, but are in fear of their lives, to leave the country and study for free far from the fear of growing up in a male-dominated society and in such danger. Once the war is really over, they can come back and teach the children or get married and have children. Having no future wives might stop the war and the fighting! What do you think?

April 26, 2010 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  3. David

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, regardless of how stupid it is. Jon may seem like a blathering idiot, but it's his constitutional right to be so. I find it ironic how people invoke the values of America to silence people with deviant opinions, when that is probably the most unAmerican thing to do.

April 26, 2010 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  4. John in Afghanistan

I agree with Matt in Afghanistan. There is no supersonic jet activity over here. Also, if you have actually been to Afghanistan, the sound of jets and helicopters all day and all night is soothing. Not because of the sound, but because of the security. The minute we get comfortable and stop constantly sending out flights, bases get attacked and people get injured and killed. I've been to some of the other bases, there is more that air operations could be doing to keep the personnel on the base safe.

I also agree that I would love to see the ANA and other military/police groups take over for themseves. Unfortunately, I have been here and realize that the US is unlikely to abandon the footprint it has made here over the years. Even if we don't own the land and we lease the space, it's unlikely we will stop leasing it any time soon.

April 25, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Nik Green

At some point, people are going to realize that the series of wars against the people of Afghanistan, Iraq, and Pakistan, and in due course Iran, were all planned in 1999, in great detail, by the hardline neoconservative cartel in DC, who all rose to great promiinence when appointed to senior positions in the 2001 Bush administration in droves. A large proportion of these people are dual US-Israeli citizens, sympathetic to the Zionist cause of creating a "Greater Israel" in the middle east. Many have expressed hatred towards Arabs as a race, and people of the Muslim faith as a group. and their most vocal supporters, such as David Horowiitz et al have said that "Muslims are inferior forms of humanity and do not deserve the same rights and priviileges as the rest of us".

The "war in terrorism" is a euphemism for the "war against Islam" and the fact that many of the targeted nations happen to possess large quantities of a natural resource, oil, which is mandated by America's infrastructure to be in constant cheap and easy supply, gives the neoconservatives' common objective the rationale to be supported by a larger percentage of Americans than those who would support the "Greater Israel" plan.

9/11 was the incredibly convenient lever that allowed the agenda to get the kick start it so desperately required.

April 25, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Glenn

Right on, SoS

April 25, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jp

It is not CNN's fault that jon posted that so back off. He is just stupid. However no one else cares. They are all mad at Smith for what he said. He meant no harm, he just wants peace... isn't that what we all want?

April 25, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jon B.

I just want my KID to come home, simple as that....he has a wife and two kids to come home to and he hasmore than done his job......this being the 5th TIME!!

April 25, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Proud American

Have to agree with Smith. Stop invading places because they're different. American paranoia at all time high. Hopefully once it resumes the Afgans can continue to protect their way of life.

April 25, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. truthbearer

So being that I am prior military, and I agree with all statements except for "smith", I also swore to uphold and defend the constitution againt all enemies foriegn and domestic. So does that include defending it against Obama?

April 25, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  11. MM

Jon with a comment on # 3 is a subhuman!

April 25, 2010 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  12. Sigh I love the internet

Jon, You do realize that Islam is the worlds largest faith? Do some research before posting moronic statements.

April 24, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. tk

The causes of the whole problem is Americans and Israeli's. Wipe them out and end of wars

April 24, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Brent

Smith's comment was dead on. For the brain-dead leeches on here that seem to think the Afghan people 'want' an international coalition of demonic terrorists (NATO, US Army, UK Army etc.) in their country slaughtering their people in the name of democracy then you might as well jump off a cliff. The only thing the satanic 'coalition' forces burn is the bodies of the thousands of Afghan children they bomb from 30,000 feet in the air. For all you people leaving these anti-Muslim comments you should go play on the freeway.

April 24, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Enock

well i guess these guys don't really know what's going on here in Aghansitan which i'm currently in right now.. well life suck here but US Marines doing the Things that Afghan should have been doing for their country. anybody that talk down the US mililtary should get their citizenship revoke...

April 24, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  16. protester against cnn

i think CNN should review its racism policy and remove jon's racist comment immediately before it creates more havoc in peoples minds,

April 24, 2010 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
  17. Sally

Sally,

I used to live in the Middle East and Afghanistan. You are deluded if you think that Muslims accept Darwin's theory.

April 24, 2010 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  18. DJ BABY B

Why are all these comments from like lotsof hrs ago?

April 23, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  19. andy

that dude talking look like bruce willis lol

April 23, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Sally

I love my latte at Starbucks and my granola. Oregon is a beautiful state. Muslims belong to a religion that is universal and that, unlike some Christian groups, accepts Darwin's great breakthrough that has allowed us to enjoy science-based medical care. Al-Qaida is not Muslim, it is anti-Muslim, just one more apocalyptic fantasy club.

I also love my country and am proud of our commitment to human rights around the world.
    Believe it or not, good coffee, healthy food, and appreciation of nature might be the best medicine for kids who grow up on video games, lax supervision, and dead-end communities.

Get over trashing your fellow Americans and learn a little tolerance, guys!

April 23, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jameel

how can you allow posts like number 3 to remain up? what is wrong with you all? the second that americans realize that muslims are fellow human beings, then we won't have wars like this.

April 23, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  22. kp

I just hope it really clears soon, and my sons unit can get home soon.
    He is sworn to uphold the constitution, he believes in defending the rights of the innocent and helping those in need. Anyone who does not understand the goal of the military in this current war needs to sit down with a member of the military and listen to their stories. They are doing good and making a difference. GOD BLESS THEM GOD BLESS THE USA.

April 23, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  23. SamNorth

Wow at jon's comment. What a nut job. I feel really sorry for you and your very narrow mind. I know you don't represent most people, just the brainless ones like Sarah Pailn. We should all pray for jon.

April 23, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Barb USA

WOW, Smith. apparently you have NO clue! Go back to your latte at Starbucks and keep off the net. My two sons have pledged to uphold the constituation against both foreign and domestic enemies. I hope they never come across your sorry butt. I pray for the children of Afstan that one day they will have the opportunities that our children here in the USA have. At least we don't have to send our kids into the poppie fields to pick for a livelyhood...or steal from our soliders that are there trying to help them.

I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

April 23, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  25. JK

I have been in Afghanistan for over 11 months and can't wait to get back to the states. But I was just informed that our replacements are having a hard time finding a flight out here because of the ash. I just hope the air clears up enough for them to get here and for us to get home.

And I hope the ANAs, ANSF, and ANPs can take over soon. But even they are corrupted. Just the other day we had patients come in because an ANA had shown up to training with a sucide vest on and killed himself and one American soldier. I just hope we can help these people and get home safely!

April 23, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  26. Matt in Afghanistan

Smith,

You don't know what you're talking about. There still isn't peace here and one of the only things that helps restore it is the sound of Coalition air power. You'd know that if you've ever been here. There are also no supersonic flights here at roof top level. They don't even do that at altitiude. Where do you get your disinformation? Incase you haven't noticed the "invasion" ended a long time ago. Maybe you should go READ the news and eat some granola instead of spreading more innacurate information.

That being said, hopefully the ANA, ANSF, and ANP can take over security in Afghanistan and we can all come home. They have all made great srides in the last few years with their operations and I can only hope soon we'll just be riding along as observers as opposed to mentors. Even their Air Corps and Air Force are growing and hopefully will continue to thrive. Maybe, at the rate they're progressing we'll be able to leave a growing nation that can sustain itself as opposed to a shattered war torn quagmire that will never progress. That is an option though, but what kind of message would that send to the rest of the world?

April 23, 2010 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  27. Smith iismoron

Good job smith, maybe you should go over their. It sounds like you would fit right in.

April 23, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  28. Spc. B

Says the man in the air conditioned room that has never served in the military or been to a war zone a day in his life.

-Message from Kandahar, Afghanistan

April 23, 2010 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  29. Judd

One more thing to think about. Other than the fact that we're over there cleaning up all the insane blood crased terrorists in that region, we're also burning poppy fields and building schools so more people will get educated and realize that terrorism and drugs lead to a dead end.

April 23, 2010 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  30. Judd

Invasion? Are you serious? Smith in Oregon, you obviously aren't an American, and if you are you've been living on a different planet for the last 10 years. People like you need their citizenship revoked. Go read a book, and stop playing around on the internet.

April 22, 2010 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  31. jon

I hope we can still get our troops there, we need to keep fighting, these muslims need to be wiped out for good. Also our goverment needs to take charge and round up the muslims in america and dump them back where they belong in afgan.

April 22, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  32. SoS

Smith,

Perhaps when the Taliban stops plaguing the Afghan people with it's presence and primitive practices, and they return home to Pakistan where they came from, the REAL invasion of Afghanistan will be over.

The Taliban forces it's will on those who can't resist and murders those that try. It treats women and girls as cattle, trading them like property and butchering those with the courage to speak up or attempt to resist. When faced with living under a tyrranical regime of backwards, murderous religious zealots or death, I would appreciate someone, anyone standing up for my basic human rights. That is what the multi-national forces in Afghan are doing.

April 22, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Smith in Oregon

With fewer fighter jet's performing roof top harassment at supersonic speeds, I would definitely imagine the Afghanistan people are grateful for some sense of peace, quiet and a pause in the American invasion of their country.

And if the larger Sister Volcano next to the present one in Iceland erupts as it has historically done, perhaps the Afghanistan war zone will experience even longer lapses of silence and peace.

With the upcoming Peace Summit coming up after Karzai meets with President Obama, perhaps the Invasion of Afghanistan will be over much sooner than was previously mentioned.

April 22, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |