April 1st, 2010

Behind the scenes: Night in 'The Manger'

Editor's Note: CNN camerawoman Mary Rogers accompanied a U.S. Marine Corps unit on Operation Moshtarak in Marjah from its preparations into the first few weeks. A veteran of warzone reporting, she has filmed in places such as Somalia, Sierra Leone, the Congo, Iraq, Chechnya, Israel, the West Bank, Lebanon and Afghanistan in 2001 and 2002. Here is part 4 of her reflections on her time in Marjah and a behind-the-scenes look at the challenges and camaraderie reporting from the Afghan battlefield. (Read Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3)

February 21, night in Marjah

Darkness falls in the mud compound where the Alpha Company is spending the night as they push further west. A huge sandstorm and rainstorm kick in, sending 20? 30? 40? Marines and CNN scrambling into a tiny mudroom for shelter. I think this is the kitchen of the compound. In the corner there is a hearth, and a hen is sitting on her eggs. The dirt floor is covered with straw. I call this room "The Manger" after a Marine jokes that it looks like the place where Jesus was born.

It is getting late, and Alpha Company's resupply trucks have not arrived yet. These are the trucks that carry food, water, ammo, sleeping bags, etc. We have all been up since the crack of dawn. We are all exhausted, and the absurdity of the situation we find ourselves in makes everyone silly. In this dark miniscule space, Atia, Gordon, and I begin to bond with the men.

Atia and I start to roll our cameras as we see opportunity here for both news and a BackStory show segment, showing the viewers how these men have to live. The jokes start flying fast and furious.

Atia: "Are you guys having fun?" "Yea!" they reply. "Is that real cheers?" "NO!" More laughter. "These accommodations are definitely not deluxe," I add. "We're squeezed in like sardines here." "This is the Ritz, are you kidding me?" one Marine shouts back.

"Did someone say this takes me back to Mesopotamia, or Mezozioc? That's what I heard," Atia says. I add, "I think I heard someone say this is how people got the plague back in the Middle Ages, hunkering down like rats in a pen here."

One Marine has a shout out to the president of the United States. "Obama, I hope you see this. We are fighting for your freedom right now." Another adds, " This is how freedom works."

Then it is Mr. Hollywood's turn for the camera. He imitates a television reporter in a faux John Wayne voice. "This is Clayton Wayne reporting from Afghanistan. Right now the Marines and I are sitting in a mud hut. We have about 20 Marines stuck in this room right now as we speak. Spooning has commenced, and cuddling is occurring. Spirits are high. Our stomachs are empty, and it's very cold! But we are Marines. We are the few…We are the proud." A huge smile appears on his face as he wraps it up, "Clayton Wayne signing off." In the background I hear laughter as someone jokes "Call your local recruiter today!" (Watch

I turn to Gordon our producer and ask if we have any more snack food left in our backpack. We do. We pass out power bars, candy, and nuts to the Marines. Most of them have given away all their snacks to Afghan children we have seen on patrol that day.

The night wears on, and still no sight of the resupply trucks. We settle in for the night, all of us huddled together, and try to go to sleep. It's time for a bedtime story, the men decide. A couple of them tell ghost stories - not imaginary ones, but ones that involve freaky incidents in their lives where something not quite normal has occurred.

Just as we are about to fall asleep, Capt. Havens, Gunny Wallgren and the resupply trucks arrive. Why so late? Havens tells us that he has been tasked with what seems to me a last-minute mission impossible. In the next three days, the Alpha Company has to take the entire west of Marjah. Why? So U.S. Marine Corps Brig. Gen. Larry Nicholson, who was in charge of the Marjah offensive, can bring the local Afghan provisional government into the center of Marjah for a flag raising ceremony. This will mark the start of Afghan governance in Marjah, and the Taliban must be cleared out of every part of the city. The Alpha Company will be stretched thin on this mission, Havens tells us. But, I have no doubt that this quiet professional will make a mission impossible, possible.

As we go to get our sleeping bags and backpacks off the resupply truck, I hear something I have never heard before on this operation - Havens yelling at one of the men. "Do you really think I would leave you guys stranded up here with no food, water, supplies?" I don't stick around to hear the rest. Thoughts of crawling into my sleeping bag loom large in my head.

This was to be our last night with Alpha. We could have made the mad-dash push with them, but we are exhausted, and of course there is my never-ending obsession with a power supply, and getting our material out. It is uncertain when Charlie company's vehicles would link up with them. If only I was shooting a documentary!

We fall asleep crammed in The Manger with a few lucky Marines. All of us will wake up dry. The majority of Alpha must sleep outside in the courtyard. Rain continues to pour down through the night.

In the morning I film them waking up in their cold, wet sleeping bags. Even their tarps do not protect from this rain. I cannot imagine they are well rested. Today is the start of the big push west.

"Goodbye guys, good luck." I say as my camera rolls, capturing final shots of the Alpha Company as they step out the door, Atia, Gordon and I slowly make our way back to the rear with the gear. (Watch our farewell to the Marines)

Back home in Egypt, questions remain. What became of the mad-dash push all the way west through Marjah? I would like to ask Capt. Havens. What are these men doing now, now that the fighting is over in the area, and the "nation-building" phase has kicked in. And finally: What makes the Alpha Company tick?

I would love to go back and see what has happened, what is going to happen, and see how these men are living now that the heat of the sun is starting to kick in. Summers in Helmand province are extremely unpleasant, blast furnace unpleasant. Most of all, I want to go back and hopefully reconnect with the men of Alpha, these remarkable and very different characters I was just beginning to get a glimpse of.

1. Lane

Very concerned for you all there in the thick of it. Do not worry about the cost of the equipment and wepons we care about your safety more than any amount of money. Use it to protect yourselves. Mary, I never thought you would end up doing what you you do. Keep your head down and stay safe.

February 4, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. dindy Sri lanka

Well written article Mary Rogers..Hope the message will go to the people who are in charge there in Marjah

July 19, 2010 at 4:58 am | Report abuse |
  3. Dobie995

I appreciated reading this story. It helps a lot to actually read about the conditions our Marines face as they deploy to this particular war zone. I have one editorial comment however – nothing about grammar – you mentioned the Navy "Medic." As the wife of a retired USN Navy Hospital Corpsman, please note that in the Navy, "medics" are called Corpsmen – pronounced "Core-man" – Thanks for your stories. Deb

June 8, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  4. sillysue

More, more, give us more. We do not hear enough and see enough (eventhough we hear and see more than ever). It's the personal things w.e want to here. Young people are so tough and strong. Bless them all, hope they are safe. Thanks Company A

May 29, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ron

We see a lot of these kinds of reports around, but no one does any real docs or reporting! I would like to see a crew embedded with a company for about 6 months that go out in the field for every day S & D's. Maybe they could make a real reality series, not like they do with all this phony crap they put on the tube. You guys take care, keep your rounds dry!

Ole Gunny

April 21, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Pat Riggs

Great reporting! Please keep up this tremendously good work. (Just wish it was easier to find your on the CNN Web site...)

April 14, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Semper Fi

The United States Marine Corps, with its fiercely proud tradition of excellence in combat, its hallowed rituals, and its unbending code of honor, is part of the fabric of American myth.
    Thomas E. Ricks; Making the Corps, 1997

Thank you for showing us in a positive light. Semper Fi Marines, and God bless all of you.

P.S. call me back to duty anyday.

April 13, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Proud Citizen

Way to Go Mary! Thanks for this blog... truly proud of the US Marines!! God Bless!!

April 12, 2010 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  9. Steven3325

Great work that all the Army and Marine units are doing down there in Marjah. Semper Fi and Army Strong!

April 11, 2010 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  10. renee

Thank you Mary! Your article, films really bring the situation of our marines to "life". It is so hard to imagine but this helps and we need to know.

Praying for our Marines and the people they are helping. Us and those they meet.

Blessings to you

April 10, 2010 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
  11. jackson

To all the mothers who have made the posts above, May God Bless each and everyone of you and bring your son's home to you safe, sound and Proud Marines! (This coming from an old Army SGM, so it's a'little hard to say anything 'nice' about the Marines!) Good work men. You make my proud. Great piece of work by the CNN folks too.

April 5, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Debi B

Thank you Atia, Mary, and Gordon. I am the mother of LCpl Daniel Bolocofsky a dog handler, and I can not tell you how much I appreciate all that you were able to show us. It is a great comfort to be able to see our son and his friends, and know that they are safe.
    From a very greatful mom.

April 5, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sylvia Jenkins

Atia,
    Thank you for your great reporting. I was able to see a video glimpse of my son in Alpha Co. I haven't seen him since Dec and for a mom just to see your son for a few seconds is priceless. I have talked to him on the phone, he has told me of the CNN crew being with them. I would love to hear more about your time with them.

Proud Mother of Lcpl Jenkins of 1/6 Hard Alpha Co.

April 4, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jennifer Adams

Dear Atia, Mary & Gordon,
    I can't thank you enough for your excellent reporting on Alpha Co. and a glimspe into the lives they live. You put a face to a nameless Marine and I will be forever grateful. Keep up the good work and God bless.
    Semper Fi
    "Mr. Hollywood's" mom

April 1, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Hajji Muhammad salim

Thank you for the sacrifices you are making.... May He bless you all...

April 1, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Proud Marine Dad

Mary,

Excellent work. Most of us have been trained not to discuss specifically what our hero's do on a daily basis for fear of compromising operational security. You did a great job of exposing and personalizing their sacrifice without compromising that important security. Thank you very much.

Semper Fi,

Dad

April 1, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Carla williams

Atia, so thankful for what you do. It was great to get a glimpse into our sons lives in Afghanistan. My son told me that he was in that mud kitchen with you. It was dark in the kitchen and hard to pick out his face in the pile of Marines. But have seen him in your videos and photos. This is his 2nd deployment, and we as parents, wives, and love one pour over the photos and video yall provide to just see our love one face and that they are ok. My son spoke of you, and said you interviewed him. Thanks again. Very proud mom of a 1/6 Alpha man

April 1, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  18. Andrew Lubin

Witout question, the finest warriors the world has ever seen! S/F

April 1, 2010 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |