March 25th, 2010

U.S. bases in Afghanistan say goodbye to Whoppers, DQ

Whoppers, Dairy Queen sundaes and the latest movies will soon disappear for U.S. military personnel serving in Afghanistan, according to a blog posting by Sgt. Maj. Michael T. Hall discussing changes to morale, welfare and recreation facilities on U.S. bases there.

In an effort to put more focus on fighting the Taliban, the military is cutting back on "non-essentials" in Afghanistan, Hall announced on the International Security Assistance Force Afghanistan blog this week. Hall is the command sergeant major for ISAF.

On large U.S. facilities such as the Kandahar and Bagram air bases, that includes closing restaurants such as Burger King, Dairy Queen, Orange Julius and Pizza Hut, dropping first-run movies from base theaters and cutting the amount of canned and bottled goods imported from the States, Hall writes.

“This is a warzone – not an amusement park,” he writes.

“Supplying nonessential luxuries to big bases like Bagram and Kandahar makes it harder to get essential items to combat outposts and forward operating bases, where troops who are in the fight each day need resupplied with ammunition, food and water,” Hall says in the blog posting.

Hall says eliminating the restaurants and other facilities will free up space to accommodate more than 35,000 U.S.  and allied troops who will be arriving in Afghanistan in the coming months.

But troops shouldn’t feel neglected, Hall writes, as the military plans to increase fitness centers and Internet and telephone capabilities.

And they’ll still be able to get a good cup of coffee as the Green Beans Coffee outlets at bases across the country will remain open, Hall writes.

Post by:
Filed under: Troops
soundoff (1,607 Responses)
  1. In the Army

Everything that we have at these bases is trucked or flown in. The fewer loads the better. In an ideal world all this should be available but the ability of an Army to consume supplies is incredible, the Army's whopper habit is optional. Every truckload moved by Americans puts US lives at risk. Every load flown is a load that could carry something else more important and is needless wear on precious airframes. Every truckload we have to contract to a local trucking company is a load that we have to pay for and is money that may go to people that are fighting against us. In any other circumstance people would rail against needless "tail" in military operations. Well tail isnt just Rear Echelon personnel. It is also the unneeded amenities. Are they great to have, you bet. I would want them. But the fight is more important by far.

March 25, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. James Chen

I'm less concerned about the dropping of fast food and more concerned about the dropping of movies. According to a vet and friend of mine, the troops don't use the fastfood chains much – maybe one meal a week during their offtime.

But the movies? The movies are one of the few luxuries allowed to them, and is a necessary escape from the conflicts and hardships they face. THAT is probably the biggest blow to morale against them.

There's a general out there that's just made himself entirely unpopular with his subordinates.

March 25, 2010 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jen

I can not believe they are actually going to take what little bit of distractions they have away. My husband is gearing up for his 5th deployment and the little things are what helps to keep him sane over there and not thinking about his family 24/7. Just because the goverment can't keep there spending down and figure out a way to get us out of debt without going further into debt, does not mean our soldiers who are going over there fighting a war NO ONE wants to fight anymore should go without. Maybe the A$$hats in washington should go without so our troops can have what little pleasures they can get.

March 25, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. PL

What complete utter BS!

Those pieces of "home" are a distraction? How about the fact that they are away from home from their loved ones? If that itself is not a distraction, then whoever thinks so has lost touch with humanity and does not belong in making decisions for the lives that are put in harms way.

The smells way too much like corporate greed to me; expect more from those who actually do the work and lifting but give less just because they're individual contributors.

March 25, 2010 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Knopp

It's funny how all the Vietnam vets boast how bad they had it. "Oh, we didn't have any comforts in Vietnam." So you mean to tell me you didn't go off the base into town, go to the whore houses, get drunk, none of those things? Then I guess all of my relatives and older friends are a bunch of liars. Do you know you're only allowed to BBQ once every six months on KAF? Plus you have to go through all the red tape (get approval through the KAF commander, Post fire marshall, provost marshall, DFAC manager) I know it's simple complaining, but why can't we just BBQ whenever we want? It's the little things that keep you going out here.

March 25, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. TD

It's all BS. It all boils down to dollars and cents. It takes cold cash to keep these places open, pay the employees, and keep them stocked full of supplies, and clean up the mess. US airlift into Afghanistan is at a premium, and the less "FLUFF" you fly in, the more room you got for bullets and bombs. You can only haul so much stuff in a C-17 and a C-5. You don't kill an enemy by shooting them with french fries and dropping Whopper bombs on them.

March 25, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Knopp

Take em! Burger King, Pizza Hut, TGI Friday's, they all suck. I'd rather eat at the DFAC's here than pay for that crap on the boardwalk. Just please, please don't take away the kebab house, that place keeps me going out here. We also don't have a DQ in Kandahar anyway. Although I support killing some of these restaurants out here, I still call BS on "making room for expansion." Since I've been here the wire has been pushed out at least 10km and I've only been here since January. There is an ever increasing amount of expansion going on, it's quite ridiculous to claim they need the room from the boardwalk (which is about 3acres) to provide extra room for expansion. Oh well, who am I anyway. Just please, I beg you, please don't take away the Kebab House!

March 25, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jeremy

Yes! After three tours, the first being in AFG in 2001, when Bagram was a couple of tents, I am estatic to hear that GEN McChrystal is getting rid of this crap! Really, it has nothing to do with space, focus, "luxuries", etc. Unless you're outside the wire regularly or based at an outpost in the boonies, many troops have WAY too much time to eat this horrible junk food. At a time when the military is struggling to recruit and maintain healthy servicemembers, the last thing we need is more fat troops! Good call, although they could replace all of these restaraunts with BEER to help the troops' moral!

March 25, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  9. GySgt USMC

Taking away the BK, DQ and other fast food places. Not a big deal, but if those are taken away then spread the love throughout, take it all away. I have seen alot of complaining and moaning about why they shouldnt take it away. I have been in the Marine Corps for 13 years now, been deployed to Iraq 5 times and plenty of deployments before. Do I think it is nice to have, well hell yes it is nice to have. Do I think it needs to be there? No it doesnt need to be there. I think just about every Marine, Sailor, Soldier, and Airman have a laptop computer that plays DVD's and family members can send them as often as they want to. I saw a comment about the chow hall, I can guarantee that the chow is not bad, and if somebody is going without it is because he is not that freakin hungry in the first place. If for some reason it is something that somebody doesnt like go out and get an MRE........... again, I have only been on 1 base when I was in Iraq that had a coffee shop, and it would really piss me off when I would hear about others being able to take part in the fat pills, but life goes on. Remembering this our priority in the military is mission accomplishment and then troop welfare....... we are still talking about a combat zone people, a place where people can die. Worry about staying alive and making it home, once you get home, I am sure the fast food places wont be out of business by then.

March 25, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. AF & IRQ Vet

I've served in both warzones. I was stationed at Bagram before any of these 'luxuries' were located there. We slept in 8 man tents that sometimes swelled to 16 or 20 depending on the base population, but it was understood that we were in a war zone. I have just returned from Basra where a BK and Pizza Hut were recently added to the base. I ate at BK once, and the food was good. I didn't view it as a luxury – it was a nice amenity though. Both BK and Pizza Hut seemed to do brisk business, and while those stationed on bases that have these establishments enjoy them more than those that don't, they do serve as a small morale booster for all.

Some people who have posted seem to think that these establishments are a drain on their taxpayer dollar – if I remember correctly, I paid $7 for my meal – it was not given to me. They are franchises that pay AAFES a cut of their sales to be able to sell to Soldiers, Marines, Airmen, and Sailors.

It is true that logistics in Afghanistan are more difficult than in Iraq, but I don't believe that removing

March 25, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Judy Hicks

Sounds like command wants less normalcy for the soldiers. That's such a shame.Anyone actively serving should be entitled to some good movies, burgers, shakes, etc.

March 25, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. jerry

Never seen anything like this ,is this what we call theater warfare,what the hell and yes i have done 20 years active service and not as an American soldier ,sory you are at war not on a hunting vacation. Soldiers not scouts

March 25, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. DMB

I am a strong supporter for those that joined the military and for the US to ask of them to fight for there country is a big deal.

If a BK would lift there spirits, (even a little) to help them out i am all for it, i'd say throw in a movie so they can try to get some "luxury" time in. The bases that aren't getting enough food/water/amunition...What the hell, i dont know the reasons why but the US should be ontop of it! If we need to, Instead of sending 1 plane of BK and movies send 2. Make sure our soulders get plenty of supplies.

I AM ALL FOR IT

March 25, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. brian greathouse

if anybody runs into this command sargent magor at a burger king or dairy queen they need to insert a boot where the sun dont shine

March 25, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  15. amanda in savannah

So, removing the fast food vending vans is going to somehow add more living space to my husband's 7×7 ft plywood living cubicle and increase his morale during his 16 MONTH TOUR???!!! Sounds like the work of Barry and Nancy....lets' see here: next year's pay raise is the lowest in 30+ years, educational funding has been cut, expansion of the 3rd ID has been cut, the list could go on. Sounds more like a lame excuse for the government to cut military funding, regardless of how it is spent.

March 25, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Persian Gulf Vet

Wow, it is so sad that the United States Army has been reduced to crying over having their Burger King taken away. I'm sure that warriors from all of the previous generations are rolling over in their graves about this. After all, everyone knows that it was a simple stroll down the street to get a quick snack for the troops at Valley Forge. I'm sure that the troops at Gettysburg were relieved to be able to get a iced coffee at the local stop before going back out to Little Roundtop to finish the action. Nothing better then a DQ Dilly Bar to help beat the heat during the Battle of the Marne. I'm sure the 101st Airborne would have crumbled at Bastogne if the Germans had simply offered them some pizza pie.

Is this what the United States Army has come to? A bunch of whiny, self centered pussies who can't remember that the purpose of the military is to fight, not open a Pizza Hut franchise. Makes me ashamed to call myself a veteran.

The reality is, only the REMFs are enjoying these luxeries and as a front line troop, I feel no pity for them. Welcome to the real world, suck it up and drive on.

March 25, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Regnar

War is a mentality. A state of mind. I think one thing is clear regarding these posts, those who have been and understand this war, realize we've focused too little on the fight. Those who are complaining lack understanding. BK, DQ, etc, are distractions that promote a state of mind that is more dangerous then any effect on morale. I guarantee not one of the post above is from a combat arm. This is what CSM Hall and General McChrystal do best, fight wars.

March 25, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  18. gbesaw

It's simple logistics. Every single 20 foot container packed with AAFES cargo is a container that could have been filled with food, ammunition, water, and equipment that actually helps get your sons and daughters home. It's not a question of morale, or "the brass screwing the troops", or "chairwarmers making decisions that don't affect them". I just left Bagram last year and it WAS an amusement park. 90% of the people on that camp have no clue there's even a war outside of it.

We have basically two overland routes in Afghanistan that are difficult to secure, have limited traffic due to Pakistani law, and that's just getting supplies across the border. Once it's inside it's even worse, with very few road networks and a far greater threat than in Iraq.

Quit taking the short view and whining about the small things. I've had six deployments in the last 14 years (Afghanistan, Iraqx2, Kosovox2, and Bosnia) and never lived as well as at Bagram. At least we're not deployed "for the duration" like our WWII and Korea vets.

March 25, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Blake

Let's clear one thing up people. The troops are paying for these meals out of their own pockets just like they would in the states. The money for this food is not provided by tax payers. It actually makes money. If the Gen wants to do this then he should kick out Green Bean Coffee also. Everyone should eat MREs and guess what sir most of them come with coffee that you can make yourself. To all these NAM vets that support this effort. Cmon guys you were having beer sent to you. You were drinking and smoking pot. My generations can not get away with that so don't come down on them for wanting to keep these food places in country.

March 25, 2010 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  20. jeannette gagnon

Just wanted to let u all know if you live in wisconsin and u have charter as a operation center when u are expecting calls from your loved ones over seas you dont have any contact with them because your internet and phone go out of service. I have been calling them since december of 09' and they have not taken care of the situation and I have reported 49 times and so far we have spoke to our son once with out our phone going down! so dont take away something they have because its better than dealing a no contact situation and wondering if they are ok over there.

March 25, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Deployed Soldier

AS A DEPLOYED SOLDIER I AGREE WITH THIS 100%!! There is absolutly no need for these facilites while in a war zone. I am currently serving my second combat tour and it actualy bothers me that these facilities are here. Supply routes in Afghanistan that bring these commidites to bases are the easiest places to be attacked by insurgents. How would you like it if your loved one died on an ambush transporting greasy pizzas to bases? Convoys should be carrying more important supplys. Also the military is at an all time low in proper physical fitness. It sickens me to see an already overwight soldier who can barely fit in his ACUs stuffing a Whopper in his face. Do we really need any of that? The commanders are right, this is a war, if he ever intend to win it, we need to start treating it like one. Im pretty sure my Father didnt have Pizza while serving in Vietnam and my Grandfather probably wasnt getting his 'Burgertime' on while fighting in Europe so why do I need it? I say cut the crap and keep the basics, I could survive with an MRE, a few bottles of water and a sleeping bag if i had to.

March 25, 2010 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Major USMC

Typical senior leadership, playing politics to ensure their promotion to E-9 or O-10 and not concerned with troop welfare and what is truly important. Totally amazed a CSM would support this, I thought his job was to ensure his enlisted troops were taken care of. He should be relieved for failure to ensure the well being of all troops, especially our hard working enlisted Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen. CSM Hall, you need to retire or get in touch with your people, your job is to advise the CG on troop welfare and your are providing poor advice!!! If it has to go from Afghanistan, then take it away from the bases back home. All for one, one for all!!

Guessing it is part of OBAMACare and how to pay for the new welfare health care. The Dems forgot to tax fast food so lets kick them out of the war zone since we can't make money off of them. Heck, our military personnel (for the most part) are the only non obese sector of American society....let them eat what they want, they are working it off humping the hills with 80+ lbs packs. We are the only sector of society that can actually burn of the 1000 Cal of a Whopper or a Blizzard and go back for seconds on the same day!!!

For all the old timers who support this, pull your heads out of your rectum and realize technology has improved our logistic capabilities and there is no reason we can't provide this service to our troops!

March 25, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Reuben

Our troops aren't pansies. They chose to join up, and they've trained to deal with difficult situations. Going without fast food won't kill anyone (certainly hasn't killed me), and if that's all it takes to kick them into PTSD or push them to the point where they'd consider suicide (as some of these posters are indicating), then these guys shouldn't have joined in the first place. If the majority of our troops can't handle this change, they are a lot less tough than the ones I know.

March 25, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Luke

As a Captain currently serving in the military, I have done two tours in Iraq and two in Afghanistan, I can personally say this is a horrible decision. I understand the Sgt Maj is towing the party line, but this kills morale for my troops, as well as his. Being at the FOBs, I looked forward to every other week when I could have a horrible burger at a bigger base, and maybe ice cream. There is nothing to look forward to if these are removed. We are literally talking about a trailer that serves disgusting burgers and ice cream, not blocks and blocks of bars and Applebees...More poor decisions from out of touch leaders...just wait for morale to drop further now.

March 25, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  25. larry

I think this decision is made a General and a SGTMAJOR that does nothing but get royaliest any how. They don't have to eat the food that is served in the DFAC that get good meals in how. So its easy to have these removed when your eating the best. Some soldier at these outlining FOB how come to Kandahar and Bagram don't always have time to eat in the DFAC they might be able to just run to BK or DQ. Hell we are putting our lives on the line here, at least give us some kind of break. What General you know is out on the front lines. How many of them go and visit the troops at these FOBs none i've never seen it happen, i've been in the infantry on the front lines, no General ever came to our FOB to see how we are living. So this is a bunch of bull crap.

March 25, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Carroll

I understand this for forward bases. I was stationed overseas in the U.S. Airforce in Japan and Europe and liked the taste of home in the resturants movies and music. These were things to take your mind off of your daily duty. But during and active fight, I can see these younger adults getting carried away and nothing else too do but fight. There has to be a balance thow for mental health.

March 25, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Portah

I was in the Navy and we did not have these things on the ships or the subs I served on. No one needs these to do their job suck it up and get the job done. Love the Military, but come on lets not cry over spilled milk....

March 25, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  28. ED

Morale is not necessarily happiness and comfort... Morale is found in esprit de corps and mission accomplishment. Take the things away that are in conflict with those things and morale will improve because nothing hurts morale like running out of ammo.

March 25, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Dwayne B

I bet the O Club is still open.

March 25, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Moses Tyler

As stated many times before, how will this save money, don't you have to pay for your burger, or your sundae? It's not like its entirely free, im sure that they subsidize some of the cost to bring the amenities there, but c'mon? On another note, isn't it interesting that now that the health care bill has been approved by our wonderful president, that they are now looking at cutting costs elsewhere? Gotta pay for it somehow, might as well screw our servicemen/women. Isn't that what democraps are great at? Screwiing our military? Especially at a time when suicides are going up, this is definately not the right move.

March 25, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Lee Perez

Very bad decision or comments made by a person trying to impress upon subordinates who is really in command. I never thought eating a hamburger or pizza is a luxury for troops living in a combat zone for 365 straight days, except the 2 week leave or vacation in between. I was deployed to Iraq in a small post with no "luxuries" our meals had to be picked up from a larger installation then brought and served. Larger installations like those at the main airport had malls like restaurant that served all you can eat day and night. Every time we had the chance we would to those facilities. Other places like the Al Rashid Hotel in Baghdad served a 5 star like meals.

The truth is that during deployment, the so called luxuries are available for some but not for others. There were others who were stationed in Kuwait and enjoyed real american food there. So what? I understand if there is a need to cut down on some services and supplies so essential items can be deployed. But CSM Hall's comments are a little off line.

I am also thinking this is a political decision as major Corporations who have the Water, food, and other contracts have monopolized what soldiers, airmen, and marines are eating there, and get paid by the amount of troops eating in their facilities, thus completely shutting down their competition will bring more of our Tax payer dollars to them.

March 25, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Alan P

The two good things I remember from my time in VietNam were finding a hal-gallon of Foremost Strawberry Ice Cream and a USO/Red Cross visit from Vicki Lawrence.

Our luxury was having a facility with reel to reel tapes that we could copy, it meant alot listening to the Rolling Stones in the jungle....

If a hamburger or pizza provides this comfort, let it stay, it's well worth it.

March 25, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Dwayne B

Can't get supplies to the troops in forward operating bases? What are the Logisticians doing wrong? Shouldnt Senior Leadership let it be known that there are serious shortages in materials and manpower instead of just saluting smartly and saying "We're doing just fine"?

March 25, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  34. deknaps

I spent plenty of time in the AOR from 01-04 and we had none of the luxuries mentioned above. That is just what they are luxuries. You think the enemy is sitting around in they're off time smacking on a burger and going to the movies? I truely doubt it! This is a war people; and one that has gone on for way to long with no real end in sight! Don't forget these men and women have a job to do and wether they do it correctly or not may be the difference between coming home to they're family alive or dead.. They can still catch a movie on they're lap top or a projector in the tent/GPS or whatever they are most priveledged to be living in (not a tent without air conditioning as it was).. Great move leaders let's get our heads out of our ass's and back into the fight! May you all return safe and proud of what you did!

honestly,

deknaps

March 25, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  35. John

That is a great decision and I applaud the CSM for doing it. I was in those outpost and we had to beg to get any supplies. The only ones who are eating at those places are the guys who aren't in the fight everyday. The focus needs to be getting the outposts phone lines and internet because that and mail is were your moral comes from. The only one who will complain is the guys in the rear that get fatter in a warzone.

March 25, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Steve Nesky

How about winning the hearts and minds of our own troops?

March 25, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Former Jarhead

Boo-Hoo. I have to agree with the C Sgt Maj. It's a war zone and there is a war going on. Are today's troops getting soft? Suck it up folks. If you want the luxuries of home, execute the mission so you can rotate home sooner. After all, you enlisted in the Military and not the Boy Scouts, right?

March 25, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  38. robby

stupid decision...many troops look at this as a boost to morale.

March 25, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Beth L.

Will this really mean soldiers like mine who are in outlying FOBs will get more supplies now? Having to shut down dining facilities because there's not enough food and having to bum MREs from British soldiers so they can eat while out on missions is crap. Our soldiers out there are malnourished (mine was not overweight before he left; he's lost 40 lbs and his cheeks are sunken in and he complains about his stomach hurting so bad), starving, only able to eat 1 meal a day because there isn't enough food. This is terrible! So if it means taking away fast food joints, so be it. But food and supplies need to be sent out. We've been in freaking Afghanistan since 2001. Why can't we get the supply lines right? Why are they only getting mail maybe once a month or every 2 months? They need to get it fixed!

But at the same time, the only positive comments are when I hear they go to KAF and get some real food, even if it's fast food.

I've never been more disappointed in the military in my life than when my soldier went to Afghanistan.

March 25, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  40. topher m

It does raise the question of who really owns the coffee shop? With nothing else to do I bet coffee sales go through the roof.

March 25, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Andy

As a proud member of the military having just gotten back from BAF in Afghanistan all I can say is WHAT THE H!@# are they thinking about. We had hundreds of contractors being paid 80k and up to service water tanks and clean toilets and you're telling me we can't afford to keep at least one comfort/luxury that we have from the states? I can see closing the BK or DQ, but with the military on such a fitness kick these days how does it make any sense to close and Orange Julius and keep the Crappy Coffee shop? Guess this means next time i go I'd better make sure I get plenty of good food before I leave cause i won't be getting it there at the dining facilities (which serve some of the worst food I have ever had). After serving 3 tours in the desert this next one is gonna be the worst. Shame on the military and shame on Sgt Maj. Hall!

March 25, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Deborah S. Gonzalez

Give me a break! Give them anything that they want They are putting their lives out there. What an asshole. Get your butt over there and see what it is like, you moron. We should do the best that we can offer for these troops. Who the hell are you to take anything away from the people that are out defending all of us here at home. I hope you do not have sweet dreams.

March 25, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Infantry Sergeant

And let's not forget that the supplies coming into Bagram and Kandahar to resupply the DQ's and Burger King's don't interfere with outpost resupply.

Supplies coming from the states come by fixed wing aircrafts. Typically C-5 of C-17. Anything going to an outpost is either air dropped by a C-130, the occasional C-17 if it is going over the area. Other than that, it is flown in via CH-47 (chinook), Blackhawk, being driven by convoy resupply, or on jingle trucks (local national transported).

None of this interfered the slightest with those things.

March 25, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  44. See matt

I remember in the first gulf war they had Wolfburger joints, named after I believe a General named Wolf who got them going. Not very good but free I think. They also had R&R to the 'Love Boat' in Qatar or Bahrain. I served in the desert for months on end and it irritated me to no end that REMF's got to go on the boat for R&R but we didn't. Still we had it easy in the first few months, the air force took over Iskan Village and put in temper tents and real beds...meanwhile the Marines were sleeping on the ground in Khafji...

March 25, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Ganz

I could understand the need to minimize the risk of being killed by an IED for delivering ice cream and hamburgers but if I were leadership out there, I would've just kept my mouth shut. If you didn't want BK or DQ (or any other fast food company) on-base then make them go away quietly.

What a poke-in-the-eye it is to release a press statement saying how you're going to make our troops lives harder.

March 25, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  46. elizabeth

I would rather see them take the coca cola/fast food and advertisements out of the schools than out of a much needed war zone.

March 25, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Chris S.

CSM Hall is an idiot! “This is a warzone – not an amusement park,” - Like having a Whopper makes people forget they're in a war zone. Having been deployed overseas several times, these "little slices of home" helped to bring a smile to your face when the pressure from 12...14...16 hour days got to you. Seriously, how much will they save? And they will keep Green Beans Coffee? Did the person who decided this actually ever drink Green Beans Coffee? That was the one spot I usually never hit when deployed. Great decision by our leadership! The beatings will continue until morale improves!

March 25, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Infantry Sergeant

I ate at that Burger King when I'd travel through Bagram to the various locations we traveled to in country when I was there. Such a shame to see something like that goes. A Whopper and a coke can go a long way towards improving a Soldier's morale when they have been in the middle of a mountain range for 6 months.

March 25, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  49. HotMate

David, these goodies don't keep up the morale, it makes them soft and complacent, while fighting a hardened and bad ass enemy that has survived and won three wars already, including defeating the Soviets.

March 25, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  50. SGT Stan

Is this the same CSM from the "Generation Kill" book/HBO series? Why not just go with MREs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? That will free up a HUGE amount of money and space that KBR takes up. It is a war zone. When I was in Iraq, I know of a lot of Soldiers who made special convoys just to get Pizza Hut pizza and Whoppers. These Soldiers literally risked their lives for these "nonessential luxuries". If our government would pick someplace cool to invade, like Barbados or Tahiti, then we might be a little more willing to give up these little reminders of American humanity. But as long as they keep sending us to Earth's cess pools they owe it to the men and women fighting their battles to make Hell as tolerable as possible.

March 25, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Rob in Houston

Almost like working for Walmart.

Like the sign says: The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

March 25, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  52. KAF Vet

It's true that there are a lot of folks hanging out at these establishments. However, that is not a reason to get rid of them. For most troops, this was a welcome distraction from the daily grind. I know I appreciated the occasional Whopper or Pizza when I was in Kandahar.

However, for the troops that have nothing better to do by to hang out on the boardwalk all day, that is a small-unit leadership issue. It is up to the NCOs and Officers to ensure that their people are properly employed. The General should not have to close up shop becuase some "leaders" can't manage their people.

March 25, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  53. jymallyn

This is a WAR being fought in Afghanistan, not a country club exercise.

If Rumsnuts had't lost the war four years ago, none of this would be needed. He screwed it up and this is now the most logistically difficult combat our country has ever faced.

Remember, gas costs about $100 a gallon to keep our vehicles running, and we don't have the easier access to bringing in supplies like we did in Iraq.

The last time any country was successful in bringing about cultural change is what Rome did to Carthage and Judea. That is not an option that we want.

If the current TeaBuggers hadn't been so gullible to trust our previous President and his minions this war would have been over in 2003 and we would not have to win it a second time.

March 25, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Bryan J

MY GOD what a bunch of whiners!!!!!!! Suck it up buttercups. My God they are in a war zone not Disneyland. How much money is WASTED bringing in this junk? When the gulf war started in '91 they banned all mens magazines for FPO and APO addresses did you hear us whine? Before email I don't remember them leaving food behind to bring over mail, I could see my CO's face if I was to say I need to go and get a DQ blizzard becasue I am hot and tired.
    Do you think of our grandfathers in WWII had this junk with them? They wern't happy in the filth and grime, but they knew they had a job to do and wanted to get it done and go home. You wonder why things don't get done over there and the money being spent? Maybe too much time and money is being spent to COODLE these guys and more attention shoudl be spent on WAR FIGHTING. The REMF's are there to support the war fighter and not be hanging at DQ.
    Before anyone gripes I don't know what I am talking about, I did my gulf war, did 9 years and I didn't like it but I knew I was there for a job and I just wanted to get it done. It made you stronger going thru junk like this and later in life you can joke about some of the stuff you went thru. Like int he movie Patton "When you get home and talking to your grandkids you can say you were there in the stuff, not shoveling crap in Texas"

March 25, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Brian

OK now here it is in its finest state.... You say its a war zone right! Why dont you take a harder look at your rules of engagement policy as well as your escalation of force as well. Basically what I get from it is you literally have to be shot at first and gain positive ID on the shooter to be able to return fire. I have to take off my glasses so the local populace feels its easier to approach me even if they may or may not have a bomb strapped to them. Nope I'm sorry if you want them to concentrate on the task at hand then let them do what they were trained to do and fight. Stop hand cuffing their arms behind their backs and then sending them out on missions.

March 25, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  56. 22rew

Typical Army. I was there for 1 and and half years and enjoyed the little things. Way to go!!

March 25, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Rodney Bosley

President Obama has proposed a 1.4% pay increase for active duty military in 2011. This is THE LOWEST SINCE 1973! Nice to know that during a time of rampant inflation, while war is fought in 2 theatres, our men and women in uniform get A LOWER PAY INCREASE THAN WELFARE RECIPIENTS!!! Please repost if you support our troops.

March 25, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  58. J. Corlew

Hey,

Why don't we get rid of the chow hall's also. Food is a crutch!! Who needs tents either with cots. If we make the Soldiers 24 hours a day we can get them out of there sooner. At least they will still be able to purchase a cup of expensive coffee to keep them awake. We should probably get rid of mail service also, since someone might accidentally ship their loved one a movie that they might watch on their computer.

Seriously,

March 25, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  59. John

I agree , they are not at an amusement park, it is a war zone.

March 25, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Chad G

I just came back from there. This is total horse s#@$. BAF is a upper brass controled zone. Saluting in a combat zone, PT belts, traffic stops of essential personel, etc.. Get rid of all of that s#$% if you want to get back to fighting the war. So many contradictions of the CSM message. One of the few things is to grab something different to eat becasue the food over there sucks, after a few weeks it is the same s#$% every day. Morale is essential, not everyone wants to work out.

March 25, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Hellfire

This was the right move. When I was in the Army, we ate Army food. If you don't like it, win the war, come home, eat a Big Mac. Meantime.... war is war.

March 25, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  62. SRA Caleb Goebel

With all do respect sir, you are a freaking idiot. Taking away away those places of intrest that people look forward to eatting at instead of the crapy dinnig facility WOULD in fact take away from Moral. I have deployed 4 times and i am about to leave on my 5th so i know what im talking about. You sir, are a freaking IDIOT.

March 25, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Katiedid

I feel sorry for these guys. They risk their lives every day and can't even enjoy an ice cream cone. :-/

March 25, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  64. US Navy afloat COMDESRON 9

WTF !! Since when is BK, KFC, TB, DQ issued in your Seabag. All these luxuries tend to take the morale out of the troops. The Navy doesn't get these treats. Try staying aboard a Ship for 30 days without seeing land. They tend to be more focused on the mission that the wimp always safe zone. How pampered are they. The focus should be to Find Bin Laden, not get fat and lazy eating Pizzahut. KILL KILL KILL find that Basterd and get out.

March 25, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Philip

For all the complainers from the people who are at the FOB's and out in BFE not getting their share of the so called "luxuries" back at the main bases, why didn't you choose a career field where you didn't have to be without all the things everyone else is getting and your not? Hmm.. Either A.. you chose to.. so now I'm suppose to suffer because of my choice of not having it rough.. or B.. you weren't smart enough to get the "tech" jobs that keep you out of the field or forward bases.. so here I am again.. having to suffer because you weren't smart enough to get a better job. Seriously.. when did a cheeseburger and french fries become a luxury? They serve those at the chow hall too?? We need to cut out luxury food from the chow halls now too?? Sounds about what everyone is saying.. Hmm.. Ice cream is served in the mess halls. that crap needs to go too.. More coffee damnit.. Better get rid of cigarettes too.. those are luxury items.. leave that stuff back in the states.. we don't have time to smoke.. we're at war.. The more things I bring up the more asinine the decisions from Senior Leadership sound. They want to earn my respect.. get off your butt and go into the field for awhile and live like the people you Command.. then when you feel their pain and suffering, you can make the decision to take away some of the very things they fight for every day. Oh.. but they do.. they come in for a day.. get waited on hand and foot.. tell the troops how great they are doing.. and then head back to their big office and play Chair Commander the rest of the time. yeah.. most of the time.. they don't even bother to stay the night.. I've loved my time in the military.. and I love my country more than anything.. but I have to say i'm glad i'm retiring soon.. Troops are not people to Leadership.. we are a serial number and status. Just like a piece of equipment.. that's how we get treated most of the time. Sad as it is to say..

March 25, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Donna G

If it is true that people serving in the outlying areas are not getting water, food, and supplies, then I would think more creative minds could figure out a way to supply these people without destroying morale across the board. My guess is someone higher up got called on the carpet about some troops going without essentials and this is the response.
    To all those concerned that our troops deserve a taste of home, go to AnySoldier.com and send it to them. Looks like I will be increasing the number of packages I send out to Afghanistan. I think a flood of care packages from concerned citizens might show the command what a real logistics problem is.

March 25, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  67. AF WX Vet

PULEEEEEEEEEEASE. Am I to understand that some of you think that FAST FOOD is basic necessity to being stationed anywhere? Our troops need healthy, proper supplies and getting rid of this junk should not effect morale at all. It actually may improve morale as it improves nutritional health!

Ok, yes it is nice to have first run movies, but not the end to being stationed overseas. No wonder the rest of the world looks down on us like we're overstuffed pampered snots.

Yes, get rid of this crap. Let's put the money to better use, and make sure the military personnel do get their well needed basics, eat healthy and have a variety of entertainment to keep both mind and body sound...which is not dependent on FAST FOOD and 1st run movies.

FYI...the military is a volunteer service....everyone that signs on the dotted line should know that they may experience times of "no luxury" living and items. No one should ever go without proper gear, food, and creative means to keep morale up, but it does mean that your tour of duty may go without the luxuries of civilian life.

AF WX Vet

March 25, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  68. hiwaves

This is an error in judgment. Keeping up the troops morale is essential. Nothing like a good meal and a first run movie to get your spirits up. That is why these things exist on the bases in the first place. Seems more like punishment, and for what? For risking your life every day?

What have our troops done to deserve less. Reduce services to the troops to a bare minimum and it will seem to them as though they are in prison.

March 25, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  69. B. Wilson

Rather foolish to me to take away what little enjoyment our American Soldiers have. Not a good morale decision. Total idiocy. Was this General McCrystal's idea? I pray not.

March 25, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Dan

This is ridiculously unreasonable!

It seems like the decision was made through the following brilliant analysis:

Disadvantage Advantage
    -Restaurants on base = Luxury – Removing = A better War Zone
    -Restaurants on base = less space – Removing = More space
    -Restaurants on base = distraction – Removing= better focus
    -Coffee Bean = no disadvantage – Coffee is good

Wow! Brilliant!!!

March 25, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  71. TJ Rodriguez

CSM Hall wrote, "This is a warzone_ not an amusement park." The suggestion is that U.S. forces are somehow distracted from winning in Afghanistan by having a few of the comforts of home. I challenge CSM Hall to live by his professional creed and accept his own suggestion as a leadership failure. Having served in Afghanistan, I can assure CSM Hall that having some of the niceties in the warzone made life a little more bearable. It was nice to return to a large base (from the hinterlands) and have an oppportunity to grab a burger other than what the field chow hall provided. I can also assure you that having BK in theater certainly didn't disrtract my focus from warfighting. By the way, Baghdad troops were provided with BK (and other franchises) well before Afhanistan despite U.S. involment in Iraq coming after the invasion of Afghanistan. The concept of providing America's fighting forces with some of the comforts of home is not new, and having some of those things removed from the theater will not ultimately determine when or how the fight is won. However, it sends a message to the troops, but I don't think it's the one that should be sent. I appreciate those who have complained about REMFs, but they serve, too. The answer to the problem of warfighting should be to bring in the appropriate amount of warfighters and let them fight and win. I truly enjoyed the suggestion of having politicians "poney up" with funds diverted from their healthclub memberships to pay for the the troops' amenities. I appreciate each and every servicemember and contract civilian still serving in Afghanistan, and my support for them will never waver. I also appreciate my fellow Americans who have voiced their opinions here. God belss our troops, our leaders, and our nation! P.S.- CSM Hall Would you at least leave your office and buy the troops some Green Beans coffee with your spare POGS?

March 25, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Tim

I think this is a great idea! Any one who says different has no idea what they are talking about. The folks who have the most access to this stuff are usually the ones who spend the least amount of time outside of the wire. Any combat trooper will tell you that the ones busting it the most and are REALLY risking their lives hardly ever get to use this stuff anyhow because we are actually ON THE LINE!! I got so sick and tired of non-combat "vets" talking about how hard they had it in mini-mall paradise... It is all about resources. They should be saved for the handful of shooters who are actually in the mountains and cities for months at a time... There are two jobs in the army... Infantry and Infantry support!

March 25, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Greg

First – a Sgt. Maj. did not make this decision, he doesn't have the rank to make this call, he's just the face of the party line.

Second – Anybody who has ever served as an enlisted member in the military can tell you that the person who made this decision was not in theatre for more than 5 days.

Third – In a combat zone where the enemy is fighting a guerilla war and you are regularly exposed to such things as IED's, morale is crucial. This decision does not contribute to morale in a positive way.

I undestand the logistical needs for aircraft and resupplying units. Let's be honest, they wanted to cut costs, this is being funded at the expense of the deployed units.

Leadership can be summed up in the quote: "You will not eat, sleep, or rest until your men (troops) have done so first." Rest referring to unwinding/releasing stress. Too bad that those in a leadership position are leaders only in the sense that they wear a gold collar device on their uniform.

March 25, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Matt B

This sounds like part of a larger political decision to change world opinion about our purposes in Afghanistan. During the Bush years, our wars have been portrayed by opponents as wars of American Imperialism. Its hard to dispute that when Afghan citizens walk by the icons of American culture on a daily basis. The logistical aspects of this announcement are probably just political camouflage.

March 25, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  75. bobbo1948

Spent a year in Saigon and never saw fast food, which I truly believe is crap anyhow. But is military food any better. This moron (puppet) of a Master Sgt. went way over the line with policy changes. Now he's at risk of being killed by his own troops. Serves him right.

March 25, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Bill H

Having worked with military NCO's and officers as my head supervisor for over 28 yrs I understand how this individual mind works.
    He's looking to make a statement that says "I'm in charge and you better remember that, or else."
    Typical, he thinks they don't need such things for their combat readiness or morale.
    Hopefully a higher ranking officer will tell him to recind his stupid order.
    Troops need more than just fitness centers. There will be an increase in fights, drinking and other problems.
    Time for this NCO and that's all he is to retire.

March 25, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Rumrunner63- a Lt Col who proudy served in Afghanistan

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. How is closing a few minimalist dining spots supposed to help us supply the Forward Operating Bases? Who came up with this idea? How is not running first-run movies going to keep Afghanistan from becoming an "amusement park"? Having served in Bagram for half a year, I can tell you that seeing a first run movie was really a pleasure. I personally did not eat at any of the establishments mentioned, but for those who wanted to, it was a nice. I sincerely hope that I never have to serve under the person who honestly thinks this morale-smashing plan is good policy. –

March 25, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Dennis Lautenbach

AS a Army Vet......You have got to be kidding me ! Did a civilian come up with this idea ?
    Better still, probably from a civilian that supports the war, that has never served, nor has no intention of serving, will never send their kids in harms way.

March 25, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Jen

"Not an amusement park" The guy who said this is out of his gourd... what should have been said is; while the supply chain cannot meet the needs of ammo and meals, the non-critical items will have to be shuttered.

As the situation improves, they will be reinstated. Nuff said bout that.

What really gets me is the stuff in the PX stateside that is the same price as on the economy. If it is in the PX, taxpayers are subsidizing it... If I can buy for same or less nearby, the item does NOT belong in the PX and does not need a handout.

March 25, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Lee Johnson

1st off, I'm prior service myself.

This is EXACTLY the right decision. It was nutty from the start, just as stupid as was done on the Vietnam fire bases. This IS a war zone and going from a Suburban mall to combat in 2 minutes has got to screw with your head more than a bit.

This stuff from the start wasn't about troop morale; it was about padding the pockets of contractors like Haliburton/KBR. Contractors are used for everything now and they shouldn't, from digging latrines to cooking meals, to combat and interrogation. It doesn't cost less and it makes the base less secure. If a base is attacked, the cook can pick up a rifle if he or she is a soldier; if the cook is a contractor, see ya!

On the outsourcing rant, the outsourcing of the military supply system over the past 8 or 9 years is a real national security issue and should be the focus of extreme scrutiny.

March 25, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  81. mike

get a grip folks they have mess halls they can make any of these foods

March 25, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  82. NavyWife

My husband would often come back to base after a mission (he's a pilot) and would find that chow was no longer being served. When you've been the in sky all day, you still need to eat when you get down. Often, the BK or Pizza Hut was the only food available. If they are going to get rid of them, they need to make sure the mess is open all the time which would increase costs as well.

March 25, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Phil Smith

If this is a logistical decision, I understand. Based on the CSM's comments though, it comes across in an underlying way that he/the General's feel our soldiers are pampered and that has taken some of their fighting ability or mindset away. If true, that is an unfortunate perspective which will do more harm to morale, I fear, than good. The very limited 'down time' soldiers get (and it is limited) should provide them with opportunites to de-stress in the way they chose...and if movies and fast food help, I feel that is a small price to pay to keep their sanity and focus. It's not an amusement park CSM, all the soldiers know it and the caskets coming home remind us of that, but it is, after all, only a whopper....and whoppers, pizza hut slices and first-run movies aren't harmful, but this decision can very well be to the morale of soldiers who put their behinds on the line every single day.

March 25, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  84. ydrcoc

The military, in an effort, to introduce more "reality" to the troops should really pull those commercials that romanticize serving. After that, please introduce a little more reality, like relating to those same troops well in advance that they will be sent into a war zone not only once, or even twice, but maybe even 3 or 4 times. And, should that not be real enough, explain how once they get back, perhaps injured physically or broken mentally for a lifetime, the military will see necessary expenditures on their care as extravagant, as well. Yeah, please, make this whole thing real. Those men and women over there are just having too damn much fun. What a pile!!!!

March 25, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Becca

Some people seem a little confused... every service man and woman is a volunteer. Each person willingly signed their service contract, which in turn gives the military the right to send them when and where they please without question. Yes it is hard to be away from friends, family and the luxuries of life, but it is something that each person knew could happen. I being one of those individuals know quite well the sacrifices made and it is a luxury to be alive each day.

March 25, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Tony

And now I remember why I did join the military...it's run by the Gov't.

March 25, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Brennan

Having read the comments, is it so hard just to provide our troops with a very simple luxury like a burger. Those guys are in the sweelting desert heat 24/7, fighting a cowardish enemy that hides with the civilian populace and in the moutains. Im sure that there getting rid of the fast food resuarants for the incoming troops, perfect cover story. CSM McDouchebag over here basicily is just trying to piss the troops off, it part of his job. The worry is logistical problem, simple solution 1. Fire a couple of those $1000 a day security contractors, 2. Get the Afghan Army and Police Forces more involved(Its there country, not ours time for them to step up). 3. Get the Afghans to start taking over the jobs that these contractors were doing. Also some people are worried that 1 burger can clog our troops arteries and give them strokes. These frontline soldiers and marines are probalily in better shape then 75% of the American population. Im sure a nice tasty burger wont ruin there health and fitness, include the fact that these men and women are just drinking water and eating MRE's most of the time and sweating like pigs over there. Bad decision in terms of morale. These guys have enough to worry about, we got to do our part to help provide for these men and women fighting overseas. Classic example of poor boots-on-the-ground understanding by some overweight pencil pusher in an air conditioned room hidden in an office somewhere in D.C. POTUS promised hope and understanding for this nation. So Mr. President time to make good on your promises and take care of our troops. Maybe you can slash something in that 1 trillion dollar health care bill that just got passed.

March 25, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Travis

This decision is full of lies by a pogue who knows nothing about what it's like to be on these teams. I speak for the soldiers who travel to Kandahar specifically; yes, it's too much of a vacation for the support services, but there are troops performing duties on remote forward operating bases, with almost nothing available to them other than maybe a satellite phone and the once a week opportunity to resupply. If this is meant to help morale, then I suppose the goal is to hurt morale, not help. It is a limited treat, and considering there was very little truly spent to operate these facilities as a result of OUTSOURCING (all employees were of Indian descent, and probably worked for less than the American minimum wage), there is no real monetary excuse. The person who made this decision should be ashamed of themselves, and I hope they sleep well at night, because the people you are depriving probably are not.

March 25, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Randy

I just retired after 26 years in the military. My last deployment was to Bagram AB, Afghanistan. I don't get it. The war sucks and for 6 months to a year, the only respite you had was a trip to the base exchange and maybe a cone at the Dairy Queen. I'll never understand why people who are supposed to be so smart can be so stupid. Who in the world thinks we're going to be able to change Afghanistan when others have been trying for thousands of years? Pull out now. If we see another move toward terrorist camps from satellites, light 'em up with cruise missiles. If we lose any more Americans fighting this useless war, it's a pure waste.

March 25, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Rich

"Leaders" like CSM Hall is the reason I resigned my Army commission after my 4-year committment. What a POS.

March 25, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Mike

Sgt. Maj. Michael T. Hall your a joke. He doesn't care much his troops. Someone should tell him if you thought the suicides were high now, now they will only get worse. Which pretty much says that he doesn't care about is troops state of mind or life. He should resign but I'm sure someone will give a medal for the great job hes doing BS.

March 25, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Podo

Good thing the Green Bean is sticking around to take care of the POG's that sit in the TOC all day and watch TV. As nice as the other amenities are to have, why not sacrifice the Green Bean, as well? They can't because some General or Officer won't be able to get his cup of joe in the morning. Seriously, if it is that serious where we are removing all commercial facilities off of the Posts and FOBs and COBs then remove them all just not some of them.

I agree that it is a smart move in order to keep the focus on the Soldiers, Airman, Soldiers and Marines that need essential supplies and removing these facilities probably saves lives of many. Granted supplies to need to get to the people that need them, but we shouldn't be going on convoys to re-supply a DQ or BK at a FOB or COB near you. Now if an individual Soldier, Sailor, Marine or Airman is injured or killed (God Forbid) at least they will know their mission wasn't a waste; just so someone else could have a Whopper their way!

March 25, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  93. jim

No Burger King or DQ? Hello. Someone just did you all a favor. Whatever it is that you'll be eating instead might actually not be disgusting for you.

And no movies? Damn. Maybe I'll have to lay down, relax, read. or reflect instead.

March 25, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  94. 007

These small amendities were the only reminder of what HOME was to many of these soliders. As somoene wrote earlier, nothing like being out in 100 degree heat with full battle armor, only to know you have that finess center to go back to, then into your tent and cot.

Remind me again, why are we in Afghanistan?

March 25, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Ken

Look at the big picture. Where is Afghanistan on the world map? It's land lock! We have only so much airlift assets and there's only so much you can put on a plane.

March 25, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  96. NICK SAVAGE

What imbecile thinks these *little pluses* (not luxuries) constitute an amusement park? Decision grade: F

March 25, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Cletus the Impaler

This could have a negative effect no morale, but hopefully only minor. Ever since the military got away from what they called "portion control" and put fast food eateries on bases, to many soldiers have become over weight or obese. In an environment where people need to be fit, this certainly was not a good thing. While most soldiers have the discipline to avoid such foods, some do not. I believe that fast food places should be banned from all military installations and a return to portion control is needed. I believe returning to portion control would save money in the long run as there will no longer be a need to cook an excess of food in order to be sure people get exactly what they want to eat. Granted, kicking the fast food establishments off bases would not cure the problem, but it would help a little. There is no need to make it easy for the over eater. We didnt have all this when I first went in and we did just fine. Treats can be had in the mess halls as they used to be and I expect would be more appreciated. A treat isn't a treat if you have constant access to it. It is just another junk food.

March 25, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  98. john washburn

Chipped beef on toast three times a day until morale is sky high! Great approach if you're supervising a chain gang. Piss poor leadership in my book...

March 25, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Jason

I see the military still has the same issues going on that cause me to not reenlist when my time was up. Big shots from the pentagon calling shots that don't affect them, but sure affects the troops actually doing the battle. Last I checked a Whooper or a DQ sundae hasn't caused us to lose any wars. More so the game of politics is why these wars aren't over with. Now what are to troops going to do after 12 + hours of work, sit in the tent and stare at each other. Cause that sure will help things out.

March 25, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  100. michelle

my husband is at a fob and yes they can't get enough food and water out there, is it because of lack of space at the KAF and BAF? HELL NO it's because commisioned officers are playing paper pushers and not paying attention to what is really going out out there. Get off your asses and take a look at your men when they come in off rotation, see that they haven't showered or eaten much than an MRE in weeks if not months, Take a look at them after a shower and a taste of home, be it a burger, ice cream or a movie!
    See them pull themselves back up call home and tell their fmailies they love and miss them and then head right back out again.

Really, take a look, so much for improving moral! My husband's unit has had 4 sucides in the last 4 years, and currently has over 10 guys being treat for PTSD who told their CO's they didn't have another deployemnt in them. they are going on their 4th and 5th here but that goes ignored. It's the little things that are keeping these guys going and you just keep punching them down.

Even my father in Vietnam had China beach and other bases to go to for R&R and were provided little luxuries from home, you guys just want to look good on paper, never mind the cost of human life.

March 25, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |