March 25th, 2010

U.S. bases in Afghanistan say goodbye to Whoppers, DQ

Whoppers, Dairy Queen sundaes and the latest movies will soon disappear for U.S. military personnel serving in Afghanistan, according to a blog posting by Sgt. Maj. Michael T. Hall discussing changes to morale, welfare and recreation facilities on U.S. bases there.

In an effort to put more focus on fighting the Taliban, the military is cutting back on "non-essentials" in Afghanistan, Hall announced on the International Security Assistance Force Afghanistan blog this week. Hall is the command sergeant major for ISAF.

On large U.S. facilities such as the Kandahar and Bagram air bases, that includes closing restaurants such as Burger King, Dairy Queen, Orange Julius and Pizza Hut, dropping first-run movies from base theaters and cutting the amount of canned and bottled goods imported from the States, Hall writes.

“This is a warzone – not an amusement park,” he writes.

“Supplying nonessential luxuries to big bases like Bagram and Kandahar makes it harder to get essential items to combat outposts and forward operating bases, where troops who are in the fight each day need resupplied with ammunition, food and water,” Hall says in the blog posting.

Hall says eliminating the restaurants and other facilities will free up space to accommodate more than 35,000 U.S.  and allied troops who will be arriving in Afghanistan in the coming months.

But troops shouldn’t feel neglected, Hall writes, as the military plans to increase fitness centers and Internet and telephone capabilities.

And they’ll still be able to get a good cup of coffee as the Green Beans Coffee outlets at bases across the country will remain open, Hall writes.

Post by:
Filed under: Troops
soundoff (1,607 Responses)
  1. Larry

I was in Bagram, I went over as a cook only to find out that KBR (Halliburton connection) was contracted with the Dining Facilities. So they have put every cook in other positions, Qualified or not. Depressing and more money into the private sector.
    Now they take away what most 18-20 years olds can relate to. A place without having to worry about senior NCOs or officers appearing. Bagram was used to rotate military from the outlining areas to a rest spot. Go Figure. I think we will see more issues with young soldiers.

March 25, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. David

For those of you that didn't read the article and/or blog posting, they are not getting rid of the theaters, they are no longer going to be getting first-run movies (which means troops will get movies after they are out of theaters in the States).

As for the fast food and mini-malls, I say good riddance. Afghanistan poses tougher logistical problems than in Iraq. If getting rid of whoppers means that troops on the front don't have to worry about ammunition, then I don't see a problem with that.

I served two tours in Iraq. If I wanted a reminder of home, I would have taken a phone call to family over some mediocre pizza any day. Being able to stay abreast of family and friends lives does more for morale than any cheeseburger could. Unless of course, you think it is drive-thrus and trans-fats that we are fighting for.

March 25, 2010 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chris

I am a OIF /OEF veteren, who thinks that this is a one of the dumbest things, what is wrong with a soldier who wants to have a whopper or a blizzard after a long patrol. I do not think that having a burger takes away from your abilities to concentrate on your job. It sucks equally for all branches, why make a 15 month tour that much more miserable. Teh CSM probaly has a wonderfully air condtioned office with plenty of room for his coffee, which thankfully they are keeping thoes open! Dump idea, glad I retire in less than 3 years

March 25, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. CMDMC

I spent a year at in tent city in Ashwaiba Kuwait in 2004. Do the American fighting forces really need the Burger Kings and Dairy Queens in a war zone? NO!! Its much healthier and cheaper to eat in the dining facilites.

March 25, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. usmc artilleryman

POOR LITTLE ARMY SOLDIERS!!! WAWAWA!!!! I WENT TO AFGHAN IN 2004 AND I LIVED IN A FIGHTING HOLE, ATE MRE'S FOR MONTHS UNTIL THE ARMY SHOWED UP WITH HOT CHOW RIGHT B4 WE LEFT, HAD NO RUNNING WATER, AND MAIL CAME IN ABOUT ONCE EVERY 2 WEEKS....WAKE UP ARMY YOUR IN A WARZONE!! IN MY OTHER 2 IRAQ TOURS I WAS LIVING IN A TRAIN STATION AND ONCE AGAIN SOME THING NO RUNNING WATER AND MRE'S! LETS NOT FORGET TO MENTION NO PHONES CENTERS OR COMPUTER ACCESS...SO ARMY THINK ABOUT HOW NICE YOU HAVE THINGS BECAUSE THE MARINES HAVENT HAD THESE KIND OF LUXURIES!! THE MARINES HAVE DONE MORE THAN THE ARMY WITH LESS!!!!!

March 25, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. SMSgt retired

As a retired AF vet from the Vietnam war, I can say that anything that gives our GI's a taste of home is welcome and appreciated.
    In Vietnam we didn't have the DQ's etc. and our calls home were by patched calls through shortwave radio. You had to sign up, days before, to even get that. The guys in the field didn't even have that.
    War is not a 9 to 5 job. It is life and death for all our troops and whatever we can do for them is appreciated.
    Sometimes with rank comes a disconnect with with reality.

March 25, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jeff

What a crock of sh*!. All you civilian pukes who have never served a day in your life. You have no right to even comment on this issue. Marines were always screwed on our bases. We would always go to the Army and Airforce bases for our ameneties. Its about time they were brought down to Marine level. Toughen up you fat Army bastards and wingers. Its time you look good in your uniform too.

March 25, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. lr guffey

We can have both, come on, we don't need to skimp on all supplies to our troups. The people of the country in question need not know what perks our people have. It;s not like the troops will be eating a hamburger in front of them while on patrol........someone at hq needs to get their head out........Ret...AF

March 25, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kathy

My husband has been through a tour in both Iraq and Afghanistan and I do not ever think for one moment he confused either place with Six Flags.

March 25, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bobby

that is just stupid!!!!!

March 25, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Scott

You know, as taxpayers, we were probably paying $100 per Whopper that they then charged to the soldiers. I agree with what one fater on here said – if guys in FOB's can't get water and MRE's, soldiers back at the large bases like Bagram shouldn't have Whoppers and DQ. Allocate resources where the fight is. Oo-rah, Marines, and Semper Fi. That stuff's bad for them anyway.

March 25, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. mike

What?! They serve junk food in the US army?! No wonder they are often fat and unfit. They should only be eating healthy food. Junk food is not a luxury. Perhaps if there are less luxuries they will get out quicker.

March 25, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. CIED Civilian.

Dang. I was at Bagram for 6 weeks back in 07. The BK at that time was a little trailer parked near the BX. Removing it won't make room for any more troops and was a nice break from the DFAC.

What am I missing?

March 25, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sgt Matzen

I can't see how anyone is in support of keeping a Burger King, Dairy Queen, Orange Julius or Pizza Hut, on base, in a war zone. What fricking oath did you swear to if you are/were in the military to support this? To protect and defend corporate America? Come on now ... grow up fat boy!

March 25, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Chr Romero

A an ex-Navy guy I can tell you there are better things to do than suck down Whoppers as a cure to boredom.

You exercise. You stand duty. You take care of things and make ready to fight with the hope it never happens. After that, you turn to your minds and develop it.

Junk food, movies, and video games are nice sure. But they should not be provided as if they were a necessity. And certainly not via taxpayer dollars.

I survived and bettered myself while in the military without the distractions. The spoiled video game generation servicemen in Afghanistan can learn to do the same!

-C

March 25, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Warthog684

Go figure Green Bean will stay open. They are owned by AAFES( aka the mob). They can strong arm anyone on a base.

March 25, 2010 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jennifer

This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of and the people that are commenting that there was to DQ and Burger King on the show MASH are even more ignorant. MASH is a TV show and this is real life. My brother spends 12 hours on 12 hours off as an MP in the USAF. He is stationed in Afghanistan away from his family, crammed into a makeshift living situation. If the only thing he has to look forward to is a Whopper or some fast food and that is being taken away then it's a real shame. As for a war zone being like an amusement park that is crap. As if a few greasy pizzas make a war torn country into a vacation at Club Med? Infuriating. Yes let's keep all the fast food here in the U.S. so we can continue to cater to the morbidly obese.

March 25, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  18. B.J.

Well, I can see it from both sides....
    First...
    Being that I am a spouse of an active duty member that is currently down range...
    I can see the importance of having some "taste of home" (i.e BK & DQ)
    out there.
    Morale ,and welfare of our troops is very important.

HOWEVER...

Second...
    I am also a veteran. Having the necessary troops, body armor, supplies, etc...
    is absolutely more essential to the mission, than having a BK and/or DQ.

***
    COMMENT # 95 BY PLATOON LEADER
    AND
    COMMENT #650 BY TINFL ....SAY IT BEST!! ***

March 25, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  19. J.

Is this part of Obama's war on fast food? This will kill morale. If Bush hadn't started Vietnam part 2 in Iraq they would probably be at home by now anyway.

March 25, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Gloria Lauinger

How disgusting: My grandson gives up a year of his life to spend in Afghanistan & can`t even have an ice cream cone? With IEDs on the ground & shoulder-fired rockets aimed at his plane, my grandson needs to be reminded that he is in a war zone??
    He`s already spent a couple tours in Iraq.

March 25, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  21. @ Posting 692 chock

if they are going to ban junk food, they need to kick out all the movie vendors who sell hadji / pirate movies in Iraq and Afghanistan as well. The 50 Billion Dollars made a year Pirate Movie Industry and probably 1/2 of that is made in Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan!

If these military leaders are going to be tough on their troops, then start having NCIS, CID, OSI and DCIS start enforcement / arresting troops for purchasing pirated movies. 1/2 of the distributors are probably insurgents anyway, so why are we helping fund an illegal industry?

There were movie vendors all over the Green Zone last time I was there, kicking out Junk Food dealers is a minor problem and none of that money ever went to the enemy....

March 25, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Beenteredonethat

The Sgt Major insults our intelligence. First, know that he is spouting the official "strategic" line. Second, there is no shortage of space for the buildup on these huge bases. Third, adiquate, timely supply of fighting positions are always, always top priority. Removal of BK, DQ, etc will not solve any issues regarding supply discipline and efficiency. McCrystal is a political animal, and the buck srill stops in the oval office.

March 25, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Levi James

I agree with the Sgt Maj's response. Our troops need to be refocused on kicking some Taliban tail. Soldiers these days are weak minded and are not tough as we used to be. They have it easy. We need to toughen up and kick some tail.. Like he said, This is a Warzone. Not an amusement park... It doesn't matter if they work 12 hour shifts 7 days a week. That is what they signed up for. This is the challenge in which they wanted to change their lives for in the first place. To serve our country and showing what it takes to be an American Warrior. We have grown spoiled over the years. All you people who talk about political correctness have ruined our military. Now the military is afraid of offending anyone.. We should say F**k that and show what we are really made of and show the world that we are tough Americans and all the fat ass do-nothing-citizens can eat all the Burger King they want.

March 25, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Sgt Matzen

Good riddance corporate America. My unit was "on" all of the time. I used to cook burritos wrapped in foil on top of the exhaust manifold vehicle while we were on standby waiting for the next thing. Burger King, Dairy Queen, Orange Julius and Pizza Hut?!? You have got to be kidding me! Should have been out of there a long time ago!!!!!

March 25, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Logan SPC US

I'm reading a lot of tough talk from civilians and retirees. Keep in mind that this is OUR war. The ones wearing the flag on their shoulder and the families that support them. No one is working as hard as we, and no one deserves better. These service members are second to none and should be treated accordingly. "deal with it", "tough it out", "you're a soldier, so act like one", "suck it up"...If you've never been there, and done that, then your words are meaningless and you should muzzle yourself. I'd like to see anyone of you dropped off in outback Afghanistan and see how long it takes for you to piss your pants. We don't need you cowards judging us. It's not for you to decide what "luxuries" are presented to us. If you've decided not to participate in the conflict, the STFU.

March 25, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Dan @ CA

As a veteran, I think this is unfortunate for those serving on the fortified bases. But, if it helps the soldiers and marines on the front line, I think it is the absolute best thing they can do. Though, I can't see a reason for denying them the entertainment, after all, that could be transported electronically.

March 25, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Thomas Robinson

I spent 14 months over seas. I am happy to see these changes. Many people in these 'War Zones' never leave the safety of their station. They shop at the Post Exchange and eat whoppers all day while other soldier protect the supply lines, and hunt down the enemy. Physical fitness and maintaing your equipment are more important than living like a college student. A shorter line to call home and better physical fitness equipment is worth far more to morale and unit strength than some overwieght, unfocused soldier eating fast food and keeping up with pop culture. Any soldier that complains about the loss of these items has no understanding of our Nation's goal and the staggering logistics it takes to serve a happy meal in the middle of these under developed countries.

March 25, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Opusmax

Let's see, the US pulls out Pizza Hot and DQ but our Allies bring in TGI Friday and Supreme Pizza. It's no wonder we say ISAF stands for I Saw Americans Fighting and NATO is Need Another Thousand Onlookers. Goes to prove that the Army talk about taking care of troops is just that, all talk. They cripple our troops ability to do the job with asanine rules of engagement and then wonder why stress and low morale is a problem? But hey, let's kick them when they're down. Gym equipment? Are you kidding? How many hours a day do they expect us to run on thier tread-mill?

March 25, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Jonathan

This is BS. It's bad enough we have troops out fighting wars I technically believe shouldn't even be going on, but now you want to take away all the nice stuff they get to remind them of home? I got a better idea...bring our troops home ...NOW!

March 25, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Paul

This sounds like the general is seeking attention by trying to be a real hard-ass. If these supply issues were real, they would hve emerged by now.

March 25, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Currently IN

I invaded Aphganistan in 2001 and we had nothing. I just got back from a recent deployment to Iraq. Now, I don't eat out very often and in Iraq we didn't have much time to go to burger king or anything like that. But when we got a little free time to go, it was kinda nice. It did not distract me any more now than when I had no fast food or anything but MRE'S. I get tired of some guy who sits all cushy making decisions for the troops that are doing the actual fighting. My point is, why try to fix what is not broken. It doesn't distract and even though I normally don't eat out much, it's a nice break. And movies? I mean seriously. How is that distracting?

March 25, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Earnán

If you want to do something for the troops, especially the troops that are deployed to Forward Operating Bases, contact your local Guard or Reserve armory and see if they have a "care package" program in place.

Unfortunately, due to the hateful and downright treasonous actions of some people who have sent harassing letters to troops deployed overseas, the military will no longer deliver packages addressed to "Any Soldier," or Marine, Airman, etc.

Snack foods are always appreciated.

A lot of troops have laptop computers and/or iPods, etc, so movies and music are appreciated: CDs, DVDs, .mp3 and .mpg files are all good.

Books and magazines..

And, not least, just a simple note saying that you appreciate their efforts and the risks and hardships that they're enduring for our sakes.

March 25, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  33. GH

I was an embedded trainer in Afghanistan. I have to say, it was nice to enjoy a burger and coke, or some ice cream, when I would pass through BAF or Phoenix once every few months.

March 25, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Bill

If there isn't enough room for both Burger King and our troops in Afghanistan, I say leave the Burger King to fight the Taliban and bring our troops home, not the other way around. The Taliban will then start dying off from from obesity and heart disease within a few years. Mission Accomplished!

March 25, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  35. R P

GET MEAN AN LEAN YOU FIGHTING MACHINES!!!!!!!!!!

March 25, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  36. dan

Typical move for a sgm to make. I'm not even sure a 1sgt has a real job let alone a SGM. There only job is to advise the man they shadow on what is best for the enlisted man.

SGM every last one of the troops wants to put an end to the talib's. None of us are having "fun" You could put a roller coaster in place and not one of us would feel lke we are at home.

Not to mention that AFFEAS make's money for the army at these joints when we could just as easily eat at a DFAC on the armies dime. THen that money is kicked back to the MWR. That reminds me since its not an amusement park you should probably shut down all the rec centers too.

If you are going to make a demoralizing move like that man up and just say its cause your a prick without a job to do.

March 25, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  37. R P

Bring on the MRE'S AND WATER!!!!!!!!!!!

March 25, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Jim V

the problem is that war fighters engaged in contact and active patrolling need beans and bullets and gas, when this becomes irregular due to non-essential logictics it should be a no-brainer. all this belly aching about morale is just a bunch of people being wussies – suck it up and move on Ranger, that's what I learned. when they can bring it back they should, but in the mean time I vote for more beans and bullets and gas, less ice cream and burgers and movie time.

March 25, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Joyce

I think there is some intelligence and good reason behind this decision – but it has not been frankly expressed. I would like to think that the real reason for getting rid of the junk food is that not only is it not healthy, but it plays havoc with the nervous system if your body is bloated with these foods that have a lot chemical additives. It can affect your ability to think clearly and move quickly, something you need when you are in combat. Yes, junk food gives you a taste high and for a short time you feel good. But what is not seen is how this junk food clogs up your system and later on makes you feel bloated and not very good. However, what would be wonderful to see is delicious nutritious food being served instead.

Getting rid of movies is silly BUT if you have greater access to computers – then you can watch any DVD movie you want. A loss but not such a major loss.

March 25, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  40. James Vagala

I served overseas with the Army a few years ago as a junior enlistedman and I have to agree with the Command Sgt. Major's position. During my year in Kosovo it seemed to me such facilities on base created first of all, security problems. The personnel who work in these establishments tend to be locally recruited and during our deployment a lot of evidence came to our attention a few of these people were using their positions to obtain information for people off base. Even when they weren't locally recruited they were still, often, recruited from countries within which sufficient background checks were impossible to conduct.
    The second problem these facilities created was a distraction, on the part of the troops, from the mission. It would be one thing if troops were going to them incidentally, but I observed officers and noncommissioned officers cutting patrols short to return to base so they might be able to flirt with the pretty girl working at the base burger king before it closed. I know it seems like a small thing, but often we found that the last few minutes of a patrol could be as productve as the first few minutes, and cutting patrols short so the soldiers could indulge in pizza and burgers no doubt limited our ability to control our sector. Lastly, like several other commentors my service originated in a time when such facilities were unheard of, and it seems to me over the course of that change what we end up with now are troops who are much slower to adapt to their local surroundings either when they arrive in theater or return from it because their base surroundings while on deployment have come to resemble home just a little too much. I'm sure no one knows how much this affects psychological adjustment, but to my mind it can't be positive. If my buddy had just lost a leg to an IED and I went to the base Burger King shortly after having returned from that patrol, I could see myself associating every Burger King with that event ever after. It just can't be that healthy to carry that kind of association back home with you.

March 25, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  41. mar

I think that everybody who has commented so far should leave the decision to the decision makers and shut your pie holes. You aren't there and do not know what is going on to cause such a decision to be made. And those veterans of OEF or OIF, you know better than to open your pie holes when command leadership has spoken. You are here and not there. You don't know what's going on there anymore than the rest of the citizens in this forum.

March 25, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  42. SFC Steven R. Wacker

The Army never ceases to amaze me. I am going on my fourth combat tour as a combat engineer and never had these luxuries that everyone has had at BAF and KAF. I do know as a Platoon Sergeant that pulling onto these FOB's (once a month or so) always did a lot for my troops morale. Everyone that agrees with this change has obviously not had to suffer like my Soldiers have or have never even done a combat tour (NOT ON AN AIRBASE). So, another strike against the morale factor for combat arms. I know my troops will appreciate hearing this one!!

March 25, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  43. RussH

Leave it to some pot bellied officer that sits around and does nothing to do something like this to the troops. I am retired military soldier and back in Nam in 65-66 we did not have what the troops have today, but if it makes the morale go up then they need to keep those franchises over there. I can see since the franchises have been there, and now you take them away, wow. Starting to act like our idiotic government

March 25, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Kathryn G

Just another sign that the folks up at the top sitting in a comfortable office DO NOT care about the soldier fighting in the real war zone. They are worried about burgers and movies? Why aren't they concerned with the soldier who makes peanuts working beside a contractor making 150K to do the same job. Maybe we should just contract out the entire war! That would be my vote so that my husband could come home!

March 25, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Jim

The primary job for these men and women is fighting the Taliban. The primary supply chain needs to be reserved for the essential items needed for that fight. That means ammunition, vehicles, replacement parts, not frozen burgers, fries and buns. Yes, morale is a huge thing, especially in a war zone. However, if they run out of the necessities of their jobs, our troops won't be appeased by having access to tacos, fried chicken or pizza.

March 25, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Army Dad

Dear Sgt. Major Hall,

By your rank, you are essentially the 5 star General of the enlisted ranks. If this decision came from General McChrystal (sp) with your blessing then it is time for both of you to ' pee on your last campfire' and go home.

I currently have a daughter serving her second deployment in Afghanistan. For either or any of you to tell me that you can't solve logistics and properly support the FOB's and bases is criminal. Military supplies for the soldiers is priority one. And supplies that enhance and support the mental well being of our troops is a close second. Any questions? If you need help just let the troops know. We at home are ready and able to let our Congress Reps know what your needs are.

I refuse to believe that the top echelon cannot solve this supply issue. This has to be some petty and punitive measure to shake up the troops.

My daughter and the brave warriors she serves with desrve better leadership than this. Please consider retirement and take out your frustrations at WalMart.

Command Sergeant Major, you MUST support your people. One does not usually attain your rank without leadership ability. For the love of God, stand up and bellow until you get what they need rather than silly punitive measures punishing those whose leadership by you depend.

March 25, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Mike

The macronutrients in my MREs are 10x the quality of any fast food served in Astan. I do not mind the occasional morale boosting cheeseburger but we need to defeat the Taleban and Marjah has them scared and now we need to push them to the end. It has to happen otherwise we will be doing this for years.

March 25, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  48. 0311 Sgt.

Oohrah SgtMaj. Its about time we have a fighting force that is there to fight rather than there to visit Burger King. I spent many tours in different places and never had a BK, DQ or Pizza Hut. Its about the battle not the belly. When you come home you can have a burger and pizza. That stuff only creates more Fat Bodies which is a big problem anyways.

March 25, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  49. David Olson

I was in the in the Army for 3 years in the early 60's. I later found myself in the Air Force Reserve and retired from the US Air Force Reserve in 20000. My Army time was early- mid 60"s as a military policeman. I spent 13 months at Pan Mun Jom Korea with the UN. There were 2 rivers to cross and bridges over them. One was called Freedom Bridge. The other, Bridge of No Return. The middle of that bridge was the beginning of North Korea. The UN(read US) had a guard shack that was manned 24/7. We were there just to show we could. There was no way we would try and stop the truck and count North Korean MPs. That shack was isolated by two North Korean posts.All the open land was full of land mines left from the Korean conflict. Several years after I had left for Vietnam, the North Koreans one night stopped their truck, threw up the rear canvas flap and opened fire on the two American MPs inside. Result, Koreans 2, US O. The US government showed its chicken backbone and issued a note. The shack has never, to my knowledge been rebuilt. As I say it's a psychological victory for the North at a very low price. Cost of some machine gun bullets. Being at the United Nations most forward post; we had nothing but an old movie once a week. A PX about10x10 and a bar. No Armed Forces TV and just an hour or two ofAFRadio. The first news I heard of jack Kennedy being shot was from North Korean radio (English). We had one central latrine; in the winter it was about 75 yard dash. Our oil stoves would generally burn out around 4AM. We had one MP go nuts while on duty at our end of the Bridge of no Return. The medics shot him up, on a chopper down Kimpo. K-13. and the hospital. He did not return to duty. Vietnam was pretty much the sane. I had volunteered and right after completion of Korea, I headed down there. It was even more screwed up. I was assigned a garden spot called Pleiku. No AF TV, nor AF radio. We had maps left by the French, but most agreed the Japanese maps were the best. We had a Vietnamese restaurant we could get French bread and French pate to go. If you stayed with this you can tell I have no sympathy for our troops in Afganistan. They're all volunteers, getting big piles of money. My basic salary was $122.00 a month. Quit coddling them, treat and make them act and function as soldiers.

March 25, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  50. TSgt

When I was serving in Iraq I tried the fast food once or twice. It wasn't that great but it was nice to have the option of eating somewhere other than the DFAC. It was also a little reminder of home. I think this is a lame decision and I'm not buying the "logistical" problem, that's BS. Logistics is my job so try again. I think this is just part the democrats plan to force people to be healthier.

March 25, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Wilborn

I use to look forward to getting to visit the USO when I was in the field in Vietnam. We would be able to have a hamburger, a little ice cream, and relax. There were no calls back to the States. I served in the IV Corps area of operation with PSYOPS and then with the 4th Infantry Division in the II Corps area of operations. You can get your coffee in your rations, or we use to be able to. I also remember running out of water and food at times too and living off the land. BUT I always looked forward to visiting the USO once or twice when I could make it back to a base camp somewhere.

March 25, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Adam

As an Active serving Army Soldier I think its about time. Just remember the people they are fighting do not have that all that. I think it will help them stay focused.

March 25, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  53. CA Duggins

As a former MSG retired from the Army, this has to be one of the most ass a nine decisions I have ever heard of. I am thankful I retired before I had to serve in this war. We send our troop into a disaster war zone only to have some Rambo tell them that they should be fighting instead of eating at the local Burger King. What was the cause of this ? was the Taliban at the gates and someone refused to leave the drive through and refuse to defend the local base? If soldiers are abusing the policy of going to BK it is a leadership issue (Yes one your in-charge of enforcing). Hope the messhall food is good.....

March 25, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  54. pilot

because the military's ptsd and suicide rate is going so well, lets take away their chances 2 eat something that's not from a terrible dfac... brilliant gentlemen, brilliant.

March 25, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  55. John

I think this is a good decision as well. I also believe that most active duty service members would agree. If you are neither active duty, nor someone who has deployed to a forward area, you simply would not understand. Sure I enjoyed being able to get a Subway sandwich from time to time while deployed, but it was unfair to those who were posted in remote outposts. That is not the sole reason for getting rid of the fast food trailers though, or else they would also have to rid them of Internet cafes, gyms, chow halls, and " candominiums " Not every member of the Armed Forces performs the same job, so you can't equip or treat them all the same, like some card board cut out. A ot of those grunts would pass through these bases and they took full advantage of the amenities! Now, are they removing Tim Hortons from KAF? THAT WOULD BE A CRIME!!!

March 25, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Dawn

I think if the troops have to give a small enjoyment (luxuries??), then the General's should give up their booze & air-conditioning & get off their duffs now & then. Jeez- how much room does a CD use?

March 25, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Old salty dog

The Navy once did away with cigarettes and tobacco from all ship and bases. Ships at sea were required to jettison unsold cigarettes over the side. They figured they'd make sailors healthier by not allowing them to smoke. Backfired BIG time! Morale was in the crapper and the poor bastards that smoke/chew tobacco had to go cold turkey. Navy ended up reinstating sales of tobacco products after a few short weeks. I'd hate to think how much it cost to restock all those cigarettes and what it cost for the ones thrown over the side.

March 25, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  58. BubbaGump

I completely agree with this decision. Our military has gotten way too soft and need to be more disciplined. War is not a business that requires luxuries – they need to be more focused on the task at hand and not worried about where their next burger or movie is coming from. Having spent more than two years in Iraq in the early 90's, I can tell you that none of this existed and the troops were focused. The big mistake was allowing this in the first place. Get in, kick ass, get out...

March 25, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  59. TheIraqiYank

Wow...every soldier I knew in Iraq loved being able to get that taste of home...

I'm just shocked at how disconnected this Sgt Maj seems to be with the actual morale of the soldier. You force these guys to do 3, 4, 5 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, and then you take away the little luxuries by calling it a FOOKING AMUSEMENT PARK???? Guys are dying outside the gates and you have the gall, the absolute nerve to call the base an amusement park? Morons.

March 25, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Army Sister

My Bro is deoployed in Afghanistan at the moment and I have never of any of these luxuries! My SIL has been sending him Tuna packets and crackers b/c he can't eat the food they provide, he gets sick! Come on people, what is a pizza hut and BK going to do? Make a smaller one, like those small counter ones they have at the PX's. These guys need all the morale boosts they can get. God bless you all! Thank you for fighting for us!

March 25, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Lee

Look people, 80 percent of the time these places had nothing in stock. Go to the DQ for an ice cream, sorry all we have is coffee. Go to the BK to get a burger or chicken sandwich, sorry we have no meat or fries, but you can have a cup of ice water as we are out of soda too. When I was there they rarely had anything, just taking up space.

March 25, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Richard

I have to agree with the majority, this is a bone head move. And sense when did fitness centers become a morale booster. I am sick and tired of these fitness nuts who say how "fun" PT is. I understand the need to be fit to fight, but it's not somehting i look forward to and it's certianly not a morale booster for me. I rather take a whooper and a movie any day over running with my shinny reflective belt.

March 25, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Earnán

Have to love the self-righteous comments about "unhealthy food" and "artery clogging burgers" from folks sitting in nice safe comfortable homes back in the states. Here's a hint, "Jennifer" and "Healthguy": STFU. No one who's having to deal with the risk of getting blown into mangled bits by a bomb, mortar or rocket gives a crap about your sad little food obsessions. The troops don't need your condescending nonsense, they need your support. If you can't give that, crawl back under your rock with a big heaping plate full of rabbit food and be quiet.

This has nothing to do with "healthy eating," anyone who's ever eaten an MRE knows how full of fat and salt those are.

Nor does it really have anything to do with "putting more focus on the Taliban" as CSM Hall claims.

This is all about the US being unwilling to "put more focus" on securing supply lines that run through Pakistan.

We're half-assing this war, counting on the Pakistanis to keep the roads secure on their side of the border so we can bring in supplies cheaply by civilian truck convoy. That's not happening, and we're having to rely on airlift of supplies far too much.

March 25, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  64. H. Green

The dinning facilities over there provide excellent food, however it's always nice for a little taste of home. Trust me though the Pizza Huts and Burger Kings don't compare to the real things, but at least it was a change. Morale will be shot a little, but our Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airmen will adapt and overcome. Home will come in the Care Packages family and friends will be sending through the mail. So if you know someone over there fighting. Send them a taste of home and make them feel loved and thought about.

March 25, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  65. max

So, getting rid of these niceties is going to help us wipe out the Taliban quicker and get OBL? Explain how.

March 25, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Michael

Quit your darn whining... This is the military not Disney World. I was in the Navy for 10 years and deployed for 6 – 8 months at a time without any of this stuff, made me look more forward to coming home even more. Every time the other services get deployed all you hear about how they have to be without their families, we did it all the time. This whole thing wouldn't be an issue if this stuff was never there to begin with. It's always difficult to take something away once it is given, think about that in reference to new bloated health care system.

March 25, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Skreet

Those people don't need any luxuries. Most of them are criminals and misfits that could not find a normal job.

March 25, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Gregory M.

Funny how years ago the Army had room to ship "mad cow tainted" beef to overseas posts where better beef could be purchased, but now they have no more room for Burger King beef, that's not war, that's bull. I used to donate blood to the Red Cross that was very rare and used for pre-mature infants, now no one can accept it today due to what they feed us overseas. The thing that strikes you about the Pentagon is the lack of Combat Infantry Badges. I agree that our troops should get better food, but we live our lives here because of the way they live their lives there, if they want to chose a little fast food in the rear, which is where the decision makers on this are, then why not? When the last Marine from WWII retired about twenty years ago, he said the kids today will do anything the kids in WWII would do, they just want to know why sometimes. Don't insult them by claiming the flights are needed for ammo, Every phone call and internet connection is one less letter to be sorted, transported, and delivered from the troops, just ask the Post Office who is getting ready to go to five day work weeks if that is a big deal, so shut up about it already! I want to thank those that gave me an opportunity to eat a Whopper once in awhile instead of the "mad cow deseased rubber paddies" and I want to tell those who made the decision to cut off the supply to our troops at their most vulnerable state to go to hell.

March 25, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Michael

HAHAHA....boy is this typical. I've served two tours in Afghanistan, both times it was on a small FOB. The only real luxury we had was a subway for fast food, and a sad small viewing room for 8 people to watch movies (if you didn't have your own). After we would come back from missions, the one thing you could think of was how good that subway sandwich was going to taste. So, we now have the 'brightest crayons in the box' thinking that the gym, internet and phones are the answer to keeping the war going, while reducing stress, loneliness, depression (did I mention that suicides are at an all time high?) and anxiety are no longer important? You'd be amazed how having a small piece of home can make the difference in your day after you've been shot at, rockets launched at you, and other 'joys' of the combat zone. Maybe if the officers weren't too busy in their air conditioned tents and offices watching re-runs of LOST, and or more porn, they'd understand. What's sad is many of the ones calling the shots have never been in actual combat. The closest they got was being on an airbase that never see's so much as a mortar once a year (ahem...BAGRAM) Oh and one more thing Mr. General Sir...if you expect everyone to eat at the chow hall...maybe you should check out how small they are, and how long people have to stand in line to wait for a meal (sometimes 45 min in rain, wind, sun or snow). Oh, that's right, you high ranking types have your special little areas to eat that enlisted isn't allowed. I'm sorry, but in a combat zone...you shouldn't get 'luxuries' like that...it doesn't help the war effort.

March 25, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Tetalon Starfyre

He sounds like another Clueless Grumpy Desk Jockey with his tighty whities a bit to tight.
    And I would lay odds he never bled for this country either.
    I say let him spend some real up close and personal combat time on the front line.
    Then take away all this privlages that his rank provides.
    Then after 2 to 4 weeks come back to one of those large bases for R&R and see how it feels.

As a US Vet I can say it is A55hats like that that drive good people out of the armed services.

March 25, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Pesty77

Again, another example of the higher ups loosing touch with reality. As a former army NCO, I can tell you that these "little' comforts go a long way in helping soldiers to cope with the mundane, sometimes dangerous daily grind of being in combat. If the Generals are so quick to cut expense and stop the "circus". let them show us the way by cutting out all the perks they enjoy,i.e. hot meals, exclusive sleeping quarters, generous amounts of personal phone calls, private vehicles, etc. Want to see a real circus? Visit the Pentegon...

March 25, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Jimmy finch

SGM right on with the exception AAFES needs to get out. You are correct it is a combat zone.

March 25, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  73. T

The USA is so confused. No healthcare for the Lazy poor of the country, but plenty of fastfood for the lazy and stupid that sign up for the Army.

Sorry most people at these basis are not fighting the Tabiban on the front line, they are admin and when they are not working their shift in the morning, they are playing slot machines or bingo during the day getting drunk in the bar,

Most American's do not not what a base overseas looks and feels like. These basis are managed by civilians from the Pentagon. There is a military commander, but the basis and the bosses on the base are civilian. So hence the civilian comforts.

This story is both misleading and instigating....

March 25, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Mikey B

The real danger in the middle east lies not with hamburgers or movies, but with junior officers trying to get their bronze stars.

March 25, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Man P

I am a fit soldier who has deployed twice to Afghanistan and twice to Iraq. I often was outside of the wire for days at a time at which time I did not receive a shower, have a toilet to defecate in or a decent meal which for me is a juicy burger. The one think I always looked forward to upon returning was a burger or ice cream. The real question to be asked is why take the opportunity for food choice away if it is available when other opportunities, such as family time, are already stripped.

March 25, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Chelsea

Wow... this truly blows my mind. It would be a "luxury" for our troops to be spending those month with their families. But they are doing an amazing service instead and you are going to take simple things that mean so much like BK and movies away from them? Yeah it's obvious the people who made this decision haven't spent a moment going through what these men and women have. Ridiculous. God Bless you all! I am so sorry that this is the way you are being rewarded for your honorable service.

March 25, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Kevin

I served in Ramadi, Iraq for two tours. A couple of times I found myself in Baghdad and couldn't believe it. We barely had water and rations and those guys were walking around wearing uniforms fresh from the cleaners and eating Pizza Hut. Made me want to vomit thinking these guys were pulling the same pay as me. We were hammered everyday with rockets and mortars, some of those guys had been on their base for months and hadn't been within 1000 yards of enemy fire – and those are always the types that'll cry and whine about losing their beloved morale boosters.

Try a single good night's sleep for a morale booster.

March 25, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  78. oneofthelastdraftees

Let me just offer a quote from a '70s US Army recruitment/retention poster: "Ignore your soldier's problems, they'll go away." This isn't WWII, Korea or 'Nam. These are different times, different people and a different timeline (longer overall engagement, multiple deployments). Maintaining morale with a "little bit of the homefront" should be a priority.

March 25, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Joel

My son-in-law has done three tours in those hell holes, thus far.(1 Iraq, two Afghanstan.) These places are not Japan or Germany with "frontlines" and our commitment to fighting our enemies ewithout our hands tied behind our backs (just as I had to do in Vietnam.) We also had the draft back then. Give these young men and women everything we can. Because they volunteer, YOUR kid can sit at home and enjoy his Whopper and milkshake while watching important stuff like March Madness or American Idol. The politicains have been marching these young people everywhere – from Granada to Kosovo to Iraq and back again. It's been a deployment marathon for our troops ever since the Berlin Wall came down. Let these kids have damned hamburger, a movie and some ice cream every chance they get. We are sure as hell ready to give them a "box" in Arlington – and no one even sheds a tear except their military comrades and their loved ones.

March 25, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Ossifer Candidate

Great decision. They should start pulling these places off bases stateside as well. The Army is relaxing its standards because the country is shoving this junk down their throats. The only people complaining about this decision are pogues, civilians, and the Air Force. Get over it, making war comfortable is not what the Armed Forces are for.

March 25, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  81. jg

The Dems are boosting morale again! When is the next election?

March 25, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Michael West

This is a mistake that will undermind morale. What the hell are Sr. Leader thinking. A burger and fries or an ice cream can be big for morale. Hell, I think burger king is healthier than MREs.

March 25, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  83. @ Posting 692 chock

impoverished people? Iraq has more money in Oil than the US could ever dream of, we are trillions of dollars in debt and you way the Iraqi people are impoverished? GET over yourself, you have no idea what's going on in Iraq and Afghanistan.... Especially since Afghanistan will now be home for the new oil line traveling through its boarders....both Iraq and Afghanistan are in less debt and problems than you think... from an economical point of view. You need to go back to school Chock-o

March 25, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Scotty M

My guess would be that they haven't closed the Officers Club though.

March 25, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  85. theman

it is a war zone, we need to give them all the ammo and food and water they need. not a f-ing dq, or dbl whopper with cheese, large coke, with fries. kick a$$ and get home to one, earn it like every other solider before you did.......fight for it!!!!!!!

March 25, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Skip

I have read most of the comments here with interest, being Canadian, I served for over 30 years in the Canadian military including periods in Syria and Lebanon with the UN and in the Persia Gulf during OEF. I have also frequently worked with the US Marines both on exercises and in the Gulf. The problem I see here has nothing to do with BL/DQ or movies, it has to do with leadership, no soldier/sailor or airmen can do nothing in a war zone but work, workout, eat and sleep. They did not do this in WWII or Korea as some here seem to imply, being as I had a father and four uncles involved in one or both of those conflicts. They had periods of leave, periods were they were pulled back from the line etc and they had access to beer and other avenues of entertainment (some of it perhaps morally questionable but none the less stress relieving). If the troops at the forward outposts are not being rotated back to the larger bases on a regular schedule and I would think once a month should be reasonable and for 48 hours not 24 then that is a major problem not the BK/DQ. As someone noted the supplies to the forward outposts go by helo or road not on C-17s or other large FW transports. If space on military supply flights into the major bases is so tight that bringing in morale related stores is a problem then bring them in on contracted civilian flights. As for the movie issue a first run DVD looks and weighs just the same as a second run one hence that comes under the heading "bovine excretment". Even during peace time when on extended deployments getting simple things like 'junk food' is very good for morale. I have on a number of occassions when the opportuinity presented itself, picked up quanities of junk food (burgers, pizza etc) and local news papers and brought them back to the ship (I flew Sea Kings off destroyers). Despite the fact that the food on the ship was pretty good, the "junk food" and newspapers were always a very big hit. No matter how much beans and bullets you have if you do not have morale you can still loose. The main problem I see from the comments here is that troops in the forward outposts are not being looked after. I did during my career occassionaly run into Commanding Officers, who some how thought it made them look better or tougher to make their troops miserable, in the long run this never worked. Being miserable is sometimes part of the job but as a wise and crusty old Marine once told me "no point in making yourself miserable when you don't have to, the Corps will do it for you soon enough"

March 25, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  87. jeffniemi

Doesn't it say something amazing that this debate is about a hamburger joint and ice cream shop in a country thousands of miles away that 85% of Americans could not point out on a globe if they had to but all these folks are informationally informed (geo-politics, terrain, military requirements and capabilities world-wide) to determine that BK and DQ should remain. Our armed forces are the only ones in the world who can put over 100,000 in multiple locations, one of which it would be easier to get them things if they were on the moon. Does anyone think that decision-makers would do this if they did not have to? Surging in Iraq was simple compared to what is going on in Afghanistan. If you want to make a difference, stop blogging and go sign up with Brown and Root and go to Afghanistan and help move the burgers and ice cream around, or better yet, join the military and do a tour there. Otherwise, take a deep breath and focus on the positives, prioritization is important.

March 25, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  88. mike

man.. the army is going to be hurting after this horrible call... the only thing I find odd is how they calculate that there will be more space for food and water for the war.... ok... burger king and dq's supplies are shipped separately and payed for by aafes. I am not surprised though the army will come up with any excuse for stupid decisions... anything for our generals right?... I myself have been to Iraq and im off to Afghanistan next, this deployment is going to be horrible... just shoot me now...

March 25, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Ted-o

Yes, why isn't the general and sgt major kicking out all the pirate movie vendors and why isn't NCIS, CID or other military Law Enforcement cracking down on pirate movies in War Zones, if they are so hard on Junk Food Dealers? Troops are probably funding Al Queda with every pirated movie they buy in the Green Zone! Why isn't something being done about that?

March 25, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  90. BJ

Are you insane? One of the only reliefs the troops get from the 24/7 daily grind, the weather conditions and some unspeakable missions they see, is the thought of a movie, especially one that makes them laugh. I'm sure laughter is heard few and far between. The Burger Kings, DQ's, etc, are a slice of comfort, a remembrance of home and a place to somewhat relax and unwind. They are social places where soldiers are more likely to let off steam to one another than in a crowded mess hall with everyone over hearing.

What about the many times the chow hall is closed? What do they eat then? Not all duty schedules conform to 9 to 5, three meals a day and two 15 minute breaks!!!!! A left over hamburger is better than an empty stomach!

Never doubt the dedication and absolute intent of our men and women serving in harms way – they have proven that way too often. You should be ASHAMED OF YOURSELF for depriving them a miniscule minute of comfort and pleasure.

No doubt they will get movies and food from home – I know my family supplied hundreds and hundred of dollars worth of movies, books, magazines,food, fans, ice scarves, warm scarves, sun screen, hand warmers, waterproof socks, etc, which I am sure my son shared with others. But what about all those troops that don't have (or they can't afford it)a mom, dad or grandparent to provide creature comfort and a connection with home?

Think about the main focus of the Armed Forces at this time concerning suicide – how will the ability to safely and happily let off steam impact this very serious problem?

I repeat – YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED!

March 25, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Nicholas

Don't they know what we're fighting for? The ability to eat fast food burgers until our guts are huge! That's what America is all about! God Bless our clogged, bursting with sodium, coated with grease arteries of the USA!

March 25, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Rodney Shipley

I get very tired of people complaining of a trooper being away from their family or home. They voluntiered for the JOB. They get paid to do this as I did. I voluntiered to go to Vietnam (stupid, yes) and ate out of a can for 15 months. No movies, hamburger, or Taco bell. Tough. Military soldiers are to fight war. You don't want to do it don't take the job.

March 25, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  93. ti

Having been in the military overseas, having a few comforts from home – a movie and a burger are simple yet important reminders that help keep you sane.

March 25, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  94. DAVID

I WOULD BE HITCH HIKING TO THE NEAREST AIRPORT TO GET OUT OF DODGE.THE GAYS SOLDIERS SAY THE HOT DOG STAND MUST STAY.

March 25, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Concern

Most Americans are far removec from the wars thus not fully engaged in the effort. Hopefully the troops are. I am with the Commander lets get down to the essentials lest they forget where and why they are in the war.

March 25, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Eric

To the person that said "fast food is not healthy"...what makes it "not healthy"? The calorie content? There are actually very few (if any) unhealthy foods provided you burn off the calories that you consume and I'm willing to bet that a vast majority of the servicemembers that are consuming this "unhealthy" fast food, do in fact burn off the calories from a Whopper. I know I did when I was over there.

March 25, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Shannon

Great move. Provide the troops in contact first and the fast food eating junkies second!

March 25, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  98. JS, an OIF vet

Bad decision from someone clearly out of touch with the morale of the ground pounders. BK et al are NOT a distraction from our primary mission, and anyone who would assume as much is clueless. The base I was stationed at had a Subway as well...I ate there ~3 times in 7 months. Very comforting taste of home. It didn't affect my ability to carry out my duties.

March 25, 2010 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Andy from new york

I deployed and ran missions all the time. Never got to go to the green zone and eat a heart attack sandwich, put my life at risk all the time but I didnt complain its the Infantry I picked my job and now to hear a bunch of fat kids complaining about not getting a hamburger hell I didnt even have food some days and didnt bathe for over 6 months again not complaining i chose my job but I think a few soldiers need to go look at the world wars, korea and vietnam, dessert storm, mogadishu, panama etc.. and learn that greater women/men have done more with less!

March 25, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Diane C.

This really stinks. In order to save a few bucks, you're taking away some of the few luxuries available to our service personnel. These are they very same young men and women that you are asking to lay down their lives (heaven forbid) in defense of this country and freedom for others. Shame on you, whomever came up with this decision! Let them keep their burgers, pizzas, movies and all that. They have one of most stressful jobs on Earth, one that will require them to kill another human being if it comes to that, and to have a little something of home available to them is essential for keeping their morale up.

March 25, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |