March 25th, 2010

U.S. bases in Afghanistan say goodbye to Whoppers, DQ

Whoppers, Dairy Queen sundaes and the latest movies will soon disappear for U.S. military personnel serving in Afghanistan, according to a blog posting by Sgt. Maj. Michael T. Hall discussing changes to morale, welfare and recreation facilities on U.S. bases there.

In an effort to put more focus on fighting the Taliban, the military is cutting back on "non-essentials" in Afghanistan, Hall announced on the International Security Assistance Force Afghanistan blog this week. Hall is the command sergeant major for ISAF.

On large U.S. facilities such as the Kandahar and Bagram air bases, that includes closing restaurants such as Burger King, Dairy Queen, Orange Julius and Pizza Hut, dropping first-run movies from base theaters and cutting the amount of canned and bottled goods imported from the States, Hall writes.

“This is a warzone – not an amusement park,” he writes.

“Supplying nonessential luxuries to big bases like Bagram and Kandahar makes it harder to get essential items to combat outposts and forward operating bases, where troops who are in the fight each day need resupplied with ammunition, food and water,” Hall says in the blog posting.

Hall says eliminating the restaurants and other facilities will free up space to accommodate more than 35,000 U.S.  and allied troops who will be arriving in Afghanistan in the coming months.

But troops shouldn’t feel neglected, Hall writes, as the military plans to increase fitness centers and Internet and telephone capabilities.

And they’ll still be able to get a good cup of coffee as the Green Beans Coffee outlets at bases across the country will remain open, Hall writes.

Post by:
Filed under: Troops
soundoff (1,607 Responses)
  1. Colin

Good. Couldn't agree more.

I just returned from Kandahar Airfield in Jan, and have served more than 22 months in afghan since 06. It was bordering on the insane side with the expansion of these outlets. I was in charge of several morale and welfare stores for the Canadian Forces. We had some small stores for some essentials that people will need from time to time, a Tim Hortons Coffee shop and that was about it. Everyone got by just fine. We were good. No problem.

I couldn't agree more that morale and welfare ammenities and services are a crucial and integral part of maintaining an effective fighting force, howver.... TGI Friday's???? Seriously? Space in the supply chains are taken up with buffalo wings??? Just rediculous! Get the ammo, people and equipment over there. Be more mission focused. Get the job done so we can all get the heck out of there once the country is more stabilized.

March 25, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joe Baby Mama

I hope this means they are getting rid of the SUBWAY at BIOP, at Baghdad International Airport. When I was there, Subway's food sucked, lettuce was rotten, as was many of the veggies, but you could get a bag of chips and a soda (ah-la) Coke Product any time under the sun. Funny part was, almost all the vendors were Coke, Frito-Lay or other major company like Pizza The Hut. No small Ma and Pa places. All the food was bad for you, but it put a smile on your face, because you weren't eating a MRE / some nasty gravy meatloaf from the chowhall / d-fact.

I say kick out all the vendors. Most importantly, this Lame Ass Sgt Major / General Mc Dickle, should kick out all the Hadji Movie / Pirate Movie Vendors. Troops have probably help fund the 50 Billion Dollar Pirate Movie Market from the Green Zone alone in Iraq.

I bet you right now today, you could buy a pirated copy of the movie the Green Zone in the Green Zone, with Matt Damon, for 5 US Dollars. You've got to love Capitalism and the scourge we only reinforce with our presence in these disgusting hole counties.

After all, if we are not there to influence these people with our peace, presence, culture and economic growth...... why are we there to begin with? What harm is a Pizza Hut, DQ, or Soda Stand doing???

March 25, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chocko

this is bs...they should have everything they want..including

March 25, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Pamela

When I first saw the title of the article, I thought maybe they wanted to ensure the military personnel ate healthier foods, or was concerned about weight issues. When I read the article I was flabbergasted and disgusted. I'm not even in the miltary, but I am deeply grateful for what you do for us! You should get even better than this fast food, but to take this simple pleasure away is really awful. Even I consider a Whopper a pleasure since I try and watch my weight. I don't burn off nearly the calories you do every day, so it's a treat. You guys deserve steak, lobster and a good drink (alcoholic) at the end of the day! DEMAND MORE AND DO NOT EXPECT LESS!

March 25, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. MerryGoRound

Maybe the Commander In Chief, Barrack Obama, should lead by example and choose to give up his luxury lifestyle, such as jetting to New York for a dinner date with his wife, while our troops families are trying to get by at home. No extra treatment for the troops, not special for the President, so he too can focus on the war.

March 25, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. gop2012

Since CNN didn't post my first response since I was VERY CRITICAL of the Barry Osama and his gang of thiefs, lets see if they post this one.

As a taxpayer I would be glad to provide our military gold plated toilets if that is what they wanted – they deserve it. So, I see no reason why they should not have a DQ or a BK or any other form of fast food available to them if it helps their morale.

Who does Barry, or Robert Gates or any of those other idiots in Washington think they are telling our troops they can't have a slice of Americana?

March 25, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Wesley

To all those complaining about us wasting your tax dollars: Do some research. That is one of my biggest pet peeves. I have been in the Army for 16 years, and I PAY FEDERAL TAXES just like the rest of good Americans. So this tax money you libs are saying are being wasted on the war machine is not just your taxes. Us military men and women pay just as much as you.

March 25, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Shane

When we have a chance to be with our soldier we take him out for the best steak money can buy!

March 25, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Nazita Gamini

This is absolutely unfair and cheap of the US government. These troops are risking their lives everyday and they deserve every "luxury" ( if you call BK a luxury) we can provide for them. No only should they not be getting rid of the restaurants..they should be adding restaurants and all sorts of relaxing acitivties for the troops. Maybe a few thousand lazy boys? These soldiers work LONG, HARD, and DANGEROUS days and they deserve SO MUCH MORE thank BK.....to deny them of simple fast food is total BS.

March 25, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Candice

I feel bad for the troops why take more things away if they want Burger King and DQ they put their lives on the line for our country why cant we let them have the small little things in life? Is it really that bad?

March 25, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Parent of a soldier

Have any of you actually read the blog entry? It actually seemed quite well written to me. I have seen other articles about logistics problems in Afghanistan and this seems a quite reasonable approach. One issue that was mentioned was electrical needs. Places like Burger King, Pizza Hut, etc. require lots of refrigerated storage.

If you think not having a Burger King is a blow to morale, I assure you that not having enough ammunition to keep yourselves alive is a lot worse.

By the way, my son is going over there this summer. I really want to see him well equipped so that he is able to return safely.

March 25, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rob

Lets boost the morale of our troops by sending them more facebook thank you's and real true all American things!!!

What are the reasons why we love our Veterans!

I love our Vets for protecting our way of life and the things I like in America that would disapear if it were not for our troops!!

Harley Davisons
    NHL
    NCAA\
    NASCAR
    Rock n Roll
    Space Exploration
    a nice drive along the shore line
    muscle cars
    eco cars
    bike riding
    mountain climbing

and one more thing go Red Wings!!!!!!!!!!

these are things I thak you veterans for!!!!!!!!! Keep up the great work!!!

March 25, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ArmyVeteran

YOu guys are insane. F**K Burger King and movies and all the rest of that crap, you signed up, you do what you're told, and if Burger King or Taco Bell is a "luxury" and "refreshes" you, then that's f***ing sad. Eat Chow hall food or MREs and you'll be fine, you VOLUNTEERED for service, remember? I don't remember my grandfather talking about whoppers at Anzio or Normandy, or my uncles talking about tacos in Vietnam. STFU

March 25, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chris

I praise the CSM and OIC for making that decision. They are right. We have too much crap in deployed zones that make Soldiers, Airmen, Marines and Sailors forget why they are thier. Besides they will save money and not get fat.

March 25, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. craig

You've got to be friggin kidding me. Considering what these people go through every day, give them the option of having some damn BK if they want it. If they are the gung-ho hard chargering types, like some of these posters seem to be, they can find something else to do if they choose to.

And the comparisons to Nam and WWII are preposterous. When the brass decides to start fighting these wars like we fought in WWII, then they can start handling MWR like they did in WWII.

March 25, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Joe

This is being done because service members are getting fatter; especially the ones who do not have a physically demanding job. You have Active duty personnel sitting behind computers all day eating MRE (about 3000 calories each) then eating Burger King and DQ in there down time. Then they use the excuses of working 12 on, 12 off, 6 days a week as a reason not to workout. I did 7 months in Afghanistan in the US Marine Corps infantry, in didn’t get BK or DQ once, and I didn’t need it. Your American service members…TOUGHEN UP!!

March 25, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Arafat Kahskheli

I too am a veteran and have deployed three times. I don't agree with this move at all. I know exactly where the money gets thrown away and this is not it. Those troops need to have something to look forward to when so far away from home. If we have the means to help them then I believe it should be as such. I don't agree with the move but I suppose the brass has their reasons. I keep you all in my prayers.

March 25, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Knox D.S

Yep, you are right Chock, you, "did not have these kinds of brand name Americanization luxuries in Viet Nam" You had Alcohol, drugs and prostitutes.

March 25, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Tired of going to Afghanistan

Having just left there in Dec from my 5th tour in Afghanistan, the ammenities at KAF, BAF and Bastion were great. The soldiers "outside the wire" get to come "in" everyonce in awhile. They are not left out to dry. Logistics is a problem, however, I know of many many different types and nationality of aircraft come in and out of KAF daily. I'm not talking small planes either. I personally never got to visit the DQ, BK or Pizza Hut, because of my schedule/locations, but for the Marines, Army, Navy and coalition forces who have the chance, it is a treat. To take away the 'board walk' at KAF would kill morale. I understand that at a FOB, supplies get low, but that is why we have so much vertical lift support, whether military or contracted, yes, I said contracted. I know we have supplies, it's a matter of proliferation. Every FOB I was at, I never saw a dire shortage of water or food. It was easy to get a re-supply, either by convoy, pallet drop or vertical lift. I was at KAF when they started posting Senior NCO's at the chow hall to monitor if you were in the proper uniform. Talk about a dream job, that decision came from the same man that has implented this brilliant plan. Go fight and be happy, just don't expect anything from us is how it is going. Way to take inputs and weigh decisions based on your troops. I wish all the troops under your command the best of luck and Godspeed. Come home soon or I'll see you again over there.

March 25, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Just Me_a_taxpayer

Be real that stuff is garbage anyway. Just junk food, we had none of that when i was in the army.

maybe they should have stayed home with mommy.. all the wining about junk food.

junk food does not make good soldiers.

March 25, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Rachel H.

My fiance recently returned from Afghanistan and worked 14 hour days 7 days a week.
    Without the few luxuries he had to enjoy in his minimal time off he would have lost his sanity.

I think it is good they are increasing phones and internet but is it really necessary to cut all of this? I am afraid morale is going to suffer severely after this!

March 25, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Bobby Hudnall

Shame on you America! These folks are laying their life on the line for you!

March 25, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Former Marine

As a former Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm Veteran. All I can say is SHAME ON YOU FOR TAKING THIS FROM OUR TROOPS. It is just outrageous that this is happening to our Service Members, that volunteer to put themselfs in harms way for the freedom of our country and way of life. Who ever thought this up should be De-Commisioned and forced to retire. Go back in your hole. Thoughtless Sons of B's

March 25, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  24. blanstein

give me a break, this is terrible, how great to have a cheeseburger or ice cream cone to
    help remember home. i hope all the soliders rebel on whoever made this lousey decision.
    god bless our troops. thank you all for my freedom, or at least what we ave left of it.
    forced to buy health insurance my ass. this order probably came from obama himself
    just to take away another liberty.

March 25, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Katherine Riebe

This is good news! The American tax dollars is finally being spent in better ways to help support the troops. It is about time. Excellent decision!

March 25, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  26. ADAM

Listen up: the troops in the field need ammo, food and water. That's the priority. F*** the bull****. Get the job done and bring our troops home.

March 25, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  27. KInox D.S

As a Veteran of Iraq, and a current Drill Sergeant, this is NOT a good idea! These facilities do NOT only serve the people who live on the FOB, whenever a Soldier stops by the FOB for whatever reason, it makes him/her feel good to be able to get a Whopper and Fires. Kinda feels like home. As far as the supply issue and getting better food to the soldiers in the DFAC. It wont happen! The Army has a tendency to say, "it is good enough, leave it alone", and that is what will happen here. This SGM and the chain of command needs to maybe quit being FOBBITS and realize what MORAL, WELFARE, RECREATION really means to a Soldier! And, as far as the "Support personel that do nothing but get paid to hang out at BK for 12-15 months", yeah, that happens, but what about the 11B that is at the FOB to pick up supplies, and actually enjoys that little taste of home! Screw him, because some soldiers get to have it daily? That is a DUMB thing to say!

March 25, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Andrew

That guy is a moron. Lets cut the luxuries to our troops? Where can I write to complain. I am a veteran I understand what those guys need being overseas in a war zone away from family and friends. So lets start treating our soliders like the dam taliban want there people to be treated. Good lord tell me where I can write to this moron who made this command desision. At least they can get a good cup of coffee in 120 degree weather. What a complete moron. Im sure he doesnt have to eat the food in the chow hall everyday like the guys on the front lines do. UHGG im so mad I could spit. Someone please tell me where we can write or email to stop this idiot!!!

March 25, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  29. dmeadows

This is ridiculous. I served in 2008 in Iraq in the Infantry. When I wasn't out on combat patrols, I did enjoy the occasional pizza at Pizza Hut. It was the little comfort things that kept people sane overseas.

Lets go ahead and take those away. The suicide rate for soldiers is already high enough, but lets go ahead and put some more people over the edge.

That being said, it is war, and it is a warzone. And I can see some of the people who stay on bases, called "fobbits" in our language, getting fat off of all the commodities, but really? The truth is that none of that should have been brought over to begin with. They might as well get rid of the PXs while they are at it. And the dining facilities. water, MREs, bullets. Lets here it for morale.

March 25, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Retired Vet

I'm just wondering what this will do to the suicide rate that everyone has been worried about? Remembering my time in deadly places with few things to look forward to, those few things that we had access to were very helpful...

Oh well, we'll spend a trillion dollars providing a subsidy to insurance companies, but we can't spend money on the troops who really provide something important to the country.

March 25, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Casey

Ok, so if you're going to do this to these men and women, why don't you give them shorter tours in exchange. Yes, I agree it is a war zone, but aren't these people trained to follow orders? If you want them to do more for the war effort, then order them to do more. Don't punish their downtime.

March 25, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Retired 1SgT

if shutting down luxuries is the right thing to do then shut down green beans... we don't need good coffee a good cup of joe is made from mre or from the dfac itself. Seeing that just shows higher ups needs their yummy coffee. The fact higher-up gets catered for their delights. Ridiculous...Yes its a warzone we came to fight a war you are right about that. Have we won yet? Have we won when there wasn't any luxury at the beginning of it? Didn't think so. Its there because its an option of soldiers to decide if they want to eat there or not no one is forcing them. its just something else to eat besides dfac food every day over and over and over. Those soldiers who outside they have their last meal every day choose to eat whatever they want to eat before something bad happens. During the army back then like the nam vets being all tough and such had drug issues and prostitutes. Not so tough. Everyone is a grown man and woman. They make money as a job and should be able to decide on their own to buy or not to buy. I prefer to have all our soldiers come back alive at least....This decision is a bad call.

March 25, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Ralph

REMF, If your only "Combat experience" consists of incoming shells on base, then you obviously haven't been outside the wire and haven't seen real combat, and I can see why your so upset about losing your precious commodities... But for us who actually did/does the "real" work we couldn't care less about your movies and hamburgers.... BTW your the exact type of person I run into at the bar back home spreading your little "war stories" about how tough you had it to your friends and girlfriends, Ohhh mortar rounds which rarely are on target anyways... The only time I had any type of these luxuries was in Kuwait on my way home... I think this is a fantastic idea and the only ones crying about it are either misinformed or are the FOBBITS who never step outside the wire barely or if ever.... This is war deal with it or get out... I remember one time we took incoming by the chow hall, and all the POG's were excited thinking they were gonna get a C.A.R. LoL!... Shoulda joined the infantry if you guys want one so bad!

March 25, 2010 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Ryan

Hahahahahaaha!!!!!!!! I guess the POGs don't get their fat pills no more. For everyone complaining out there saying the troops deserve this don't know what they are talking about. The only service members that get luxuries are the ones that deploy to out to Iraq or Afghanistan and don't leave the wire. I have been to Iraq twice and I remember eating MREs and that was it but, when I went to one of the base camps the people who were there for "support" were getting all the nice KBR chow halls BK, McDonalds, movie theaters and non stop uninterrupted internet and telephones. For those who have been to either place know complacency kills and those who have these become complacent with them. And its the Army and Air Force that get this stuff. The Marines are lucky if they water, a mre, and a rack.

Devil Doc Semper Fi

March 25, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Felix

What a horrible decsion, removing the comforts of the states. How much space does a DVD disk actually take up? This guy sounds like a jerk!

March 25, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Steve

So is this a backhanded way to say that the luxuries were detrimental to their combat performance? Our troops are getting soft? The leadership must know that good morale is part of the combat effectiveness. But the new physical fitness equipment will be just so cool. As one guy said ... it sucks to be them.

March 25, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Michele Bishop

We won in WWII and we didn't have BK or DQ. People don't sign up for the military for the easy life. They sign up to serve. Yes a home luxury is nice, but supplies to troops in need is nicer.

March 25, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Navy Pilot

"The beatings will continue until morale improves"

March 25, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Victor

Well thanks for solving that difficult question for me... I was just wondering where I wanted to take my family on vacation... Disney World, Kings Dominion or Bagram AB, Afghanistan. I ruled out Disney World because it's just too expensive now that I can't depend on social security anymore, I need to try to save more money than I thought I needed to. I was leaning towards Afghanistan because of the cost, never mind the whole Taliban thing, we were just going to wear some of that super effective, high quality body armor that they issue, it's great for personal mobility anyways. I mean sure it can get to 130 degrees out there when you're trying to negotiate a rocky hill, but hey, it gets hot in Sumter, SC too right? But now that they took away the Burger King, I just don't know anymore. Where will I amuse my family at now? I guess we could use the internet... that'd be fun...

Seriously?!?! How much space does a film take in the military airlift system? You can't tell it takes more than the size of a backpack to deliver a movie to the oh-so-many movie theaters in Afghanistan. If it's about the money, then say it's about the money. Don't you dare try and tell me it's a damn, "amusement park." I've got some premium dirt and rocks I'd like to sell you there Sgt. Major.

March 25, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Laura

We take these men and women away from their friends and families to fight for our country and we can't show them our appreciation with a Whopper? As usual, another assinine decision being handed down by those who won't ever see the frontline or know the joy a simple familiatr meal can bring to a soldier far from home. Talk about sending morale even deeper into the toilet.

March 25, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Slick Rick

geeez ... get the Commander In Chief on the phone will you ... .must be because of the expensive healthcare bill

March 25, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Rob

When I have traveled across this country I thank the veterans, any time I get to see the olympics on tv I thank the veterans!!

I thank the veterans when family reunions happy in summer, gatherings like parades and all the other great adventurous things we love doing in America!! We thank the veterans.

so in turn what are we doing to boost the morale, no, no more complaining about the fast food! can anyone send them BBQ grills and some budlight!!

This is all American for the morale of our fighting force, fresh grilled burgers and a couple bruisKEES!!! forget burger king and those other franshises.

Boostinig morale is getting into activites that distract them a bit from the war, thats all good and healthy!! Anyone else for suggestions to boost morale, enough of the complaining!!!!

Lets send them a real piece of AMERICA! not fast food, I would like to send them a party shirt from ST. Patties Day!!

March 25, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Sue

Here's a thought. Why not do what every other nation in history has done in Afghanistan? Give it up as a lost cause. Bring all of them home where they'll be safe, and spend the money on healthcare reform.

March 25, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Victor

Well thanks for solving that difficult question for me... I was just wondering where I wanted to take my family on vacation... Disney World, Kings Dominion or Bagram AB, Afghanistan. I ruled out Disney World because it's just too expensive now that I can't depend on social security anymore, I need to try to save more money than I thought I needed to. I was leaning towards Afghanistan because of the cost, never mind the whole Taliban thing, we were just going to wear some of that super effective, high quality body armor that they issue, it's great for personal mobility anyways. I mean sure it can get to 130 degrees out there when you're trying to negotiate a rocky hill, but hey, it gets hot in Sumter, SC too right? But now that they took away the Burger King, I just don't know anymore. Where will I amuse my family at now? I guess I could take the just across the border to Pakistan or over to Iran and let the go through some of those training courses the taliban goes through... those look like they could be fun...

March 25, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Retireee

He's an grumpy old Army guy, go figure he's a total jerk. I bet he's Infantry.

Those little things make life less suck for the guys downrange. This ranks right up there with banning ponro mags on military bases many years ago.

I am so glad to be retired and not have to eat this kind of b.s. any more.

March 25, 2010 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Mike

Sucks to be them. As someone mentioned, most of those guys work 7 days a week, and that means 14+ hour days...not 9 – 5. The Sgt Major is trying to make it sound like it is a "warfighter" issue. I'm sorry but that is lame, but I don't blame him. He and his CO are probably getting pushed by politicians and can't openly complain. Regardless, the Army is already keeping people there 1+ years at a time and are already hurting for recruits. This definitely isn't going to help, and may actually be counterproductive. More suicides, less effectiveness, etc. Instead of our troops getting some "non-essentials" I doubt the "saved" money will go to anything worthwhile...maybe crooked politicians, lawyers, or a frivolous social program that is "non-essential", treats a minority of the population, and enables them to be lazy and unproductive.

March 25, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Digit

these types of things have no business in war. its not summer camp. morale be damned. if our soldiers feel they need to be at home rather than winning this war, then morale is based on the wrong thing. when you are a soldier, you need to focus and to be in shape. Burger King doesnt fit into that equation. if any soldier is going without water so some other soldier can have a whopper, that is just wrong.

March 25, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Dan

Well as a viet nam vet, I just can't imagine flying 16 hour missions everyday without my McDonalds , Burger Kings and D Qs what will our fighting men and women do without them ? Is this still the military ?

March 25, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Peter

As a soldier getting ready to deploy, I applaud this decision. The amount of soldiers in my unit who regularly fail their PT tests is greater than those who pass, and the availability of unhealthy food choices does nothing to help keep them in a state of physical fitness.

There is a huge disparity in conditions between the soldiers doing the fighting and the ones supporting them. This move will help those in the rear share hardships, or at least the lack of luxury. If I am at war I want to be at war; the cognitive dissonance inspired by being shot at one minute and served a Whopper the next is not something I would like to devote cerebral space to.

March 25, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  50. 1958

What a bunch of crybabies. Get over it. What did you think you were going to be doing when you joined the military? I can only imagine how you wimps would have handled WWII. Geez. Finish your tour and go home to Momma.

March 25, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Bobby

Supplying BK, DQ, Pizza Hut require extra space on cargo planes... space that can be used to ship extra ESSENTIAL supplies. This saves the taxpayers money. And quite honestly, all those listed restaurants are horrible for your health. No ones tax money should go to helping people buy that crap.

March 25, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  52. A Roberts

This is all junk food which a dog should not eat.

March 25, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  53. joost

They want burgers? Don't enlist!

March 25, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  54. contraryjim

What happened to guard duty, KP and the PX? Or is everything out-sourced? It is past time to stop meddling in the affairs of other nations bring the troops home and treat others with respect.

March 25, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  55. aperion13

it's called morale. Thanks for forgetting that again. The sacrifices in these places are not made by the cowards that make policy, but by REAL warriors.

March 25, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  56. armando

😦 this is just evil

March 25, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Camp Lejeune to 1stCivDiv

I think this is a pretty good move with the bag nasty stuff, but bad move with the movies. I remember right before finishing up deployment in 2004 at Bagram, on a PT run down Disney lane and saw people moving in a Burger King sign. I thought "WTF, is this F*ing Camp Happyland?'. If they can do without it at the FOBs, then whey will do fine without the fast food joints at Bagram. Hell, when I was there the chow hall was awesome – eggs made to order, hot dogs & hamburgers for noon chow and Friday nights were Surf & Turf. The biggest thing that kept my moral during partols and operations was the knowing the hot chow available there.

March 25, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  58. DKuhn

This is so Typical when you get a branch of service like the Army to be in charge. I did 26 years in the Air Force and I've been in the desert many times. But we were under the Air Force leadership and morale was good. I don't have the statistics, but I'm sure there is a higher rate of suicide in the Army vs. Air Force. Bringing an extra 35K troops to the fight would not take up the space in the BX/PX to house them. This is the most stupid decision I have ever heard that will be implemented some time soon. Give the people the opportunity to be able to have a little choice in what they eat. Besides maybe somebody works a shift and gets home after the chow hall closes, I bet BK or DQ etc. stays open a little later. Fitness Centers and internet cafes take up more real-estate space in a tent city then a room inside the BX where BK would be. And Pizza huts many times work right out of a trailer close by tent city. I suggest putting the leadership for morale in the hands of the Air Force and we will have happier troops who will be more focused on the fight the next day instead of being disgruntled over a lack of basics that make us happy each day.

March 25, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Glad I am almost done

wow, when faced with the choice of fighting in a foreign land, where the residents don't really want me, I am away from everything and everyone I know and love, and now I can increase my morale by constant physical activity or sitting on my can collecting my extended jobless benefits and free healthcare, it doesn't seem like a difficult choice at all..........

March 25, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  60. karl larson

we survived JUST FINE in Viet Nam without all that stuff. .

we did LOSE, however LOL

(and the same will probably be true in Afghanistan)

March 25, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Rob

I wonder if the Taliban Morale is up this week after reading this nonsense how our poor military morale is down. Come on now USA do you not love what really matters to you, I know it can't be fast food...

Come on USA!!! It would be more fun to have a burger cook off among the troops when there is down time, get creative with the down time, you guys and gails know each other and know how to support each other, forget the headlines and the politics, you have each other and the real people of the USA behind you. Don't ever doubt that!!!

I saw an episode of Bobby Flave, I think that is the name of the chef who visited the troops for a cook off!!! I thought that was pretty cool.

Our troops get rock concerts and the WWF was out among the troops recently!!

That is a great thing to make happen and I am sure isn't easy to make.

So I would imagine morale would be up,

I have no doubts about you guys and gails in uniform.

This type of news about such a story however boosts morale of Taliban members and so on.

We all should be more pissed at the media for broadcasting such things.

CNN, is it really necessary to broadcast every little decision the military makes so the Taliban who are surfing the net can laugh at the people who are protecting your job.

March 25, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  62. beenthere

As a deployed DoD civilian at Bagram in 2009 I found that BK, DQ and Subway vendors provided a welcome break from the standard food at the DFACs. They were supplied by truck convoy from Pakistan just like the Base Exchange and did not prevent any shipments of needed war materiel. The bigger issue revolved around having the right mix of personnel in Afghanistan. Many deployed troops at Bagram were underutilized or had insufficient experience to perform their duties efficiently. Frequently I witnessed support troops with tan lines from their PT shorts, spending far more time in the Gym than at their jobs.

March 25, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Lana

I had no idea that tax dollars were being spent to promote fast food franchises. These people are being paid to fight a war and they already get free education, pension for life after 20 years, medical care and now they want to eat crap so BK and DQ can get rich and then tax payers can pay for thier heart surgery too. This command decision is right on.
    There should be much more news about what's going on at tax payers expense. I'll bet a lot of people think that the bases are like like the TV show MASH with a mess tent for food. There was a draft then though.

March 25, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Disgusted Ranger

I've had the privilege of working for both GEN McChrystal and CSM Hall, and been a member of the same organizations they have led in since I was a young Ranger private and it was CPT McChrystal and SSG Hall. The ignorance of the majority of people posting here is truly amazing. How many of you know that CSM Hall actually retired with over 30 years of service a couple of years ago but came back on active duty in order to deploy to Afghanistan because he was asked to? How many of you actually know how much time GEN McChrystal has deployed in both Iraq and Afghanistan? I can almost guarantee NO ONE has as much time as he does.
    As far as those of you accusing both of them being "fobbits"-you have no concept of how many missions both of them have actually been a part of-there is a small and very professional group of service members who know how many times both of them risked their lives to participate in missions with their subordinates.
    I have deployed to both theatres multiple times, and I support their decision. What prevents PTSD and reduces service member deaths in accomplishing the mission is not getting fat eating whoppers. Contrary to some of the posts, everyone in Afghanistan DID volunteer-no one forced any of us to join the military.
    I haven't agreed with every decision GEN McChrystal or CSM Hall has made over the years, but the false accusations on this site does a disservice to two individuals who have sacrificed more than 99% of the soldiers in the Army ever will, let alone the 300 million Americans who haven't served or ever will.

March 25, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Mark

so troop moral is not important....

March 25, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Scott H

I think this is a great move and put everyone on the same footing. How do you think the troops moving thru a base or coming back from the field felt when they see the troops stationed on the big bases grabbing there BK for lunch when they have been eatting MRE's for the last month? The guys out in the field in the fight don't get DQ, BK or any of these "luxuries". I think being deployed is a hardship for everyone and I thank them for there service. But your in a war zone and that should be the focus not what fast food your going to eat at lunch.

I hope they make accommadtion to have hot food available for the troops coming in from missions during "off" hours. If they do that I have no problems removing these "luxuries".

March 25, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Common Sense

People need to understand that it is not tax dollars that support these services, but they are supported by the customers that frequent them, like any other business. Therefore, it costs us nothing to operate these facilities in a war zone, or any place else for that matter. The command group stated that there are problems with their supply line. I seriously doubt that the AFEES activities have any impact on the war effort logistics. It seems that the enemy has dropped a logic bomb on the command group, and totally wiped out their logic. One of the methods in winning a war is to demoralize the enemy. In this case, I wonder if members of the command group haven't become Taliban sympathizers... Next thing you know, pork will not be allowed, and the women warriors will have to wear burkahs...I must disagree with the command group vehemently on this decision. If we can make war fighting more comfortable in modern times, then we should do so. We should be fighting smarter, not harder. We need to keep the spirits of the troops high. Frequently in the military, we experience "wrong thinking". Things like "well that's the way we did back then. If it was good enough for us then, then it is good enough for us now." Hey General...If you can't support your troops logistically, don't take it out on the troops, improve your logistics!!! Signed, A Veteran with common sense

March 25, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Mike

Those movies sure take up a lot of space on the cargo planes. I am sure that will really save things in Afghanistan........

The argument works for DQ, BK and Pizza Hut at least as everyday available. I don't agree with it, but the argument works. When you take out the first run movies then the whole thing stinks

March 25, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Val

This is a shameful decision by military leaders. If you seriously need to make some changes to accommodate additional supplies and troops, you should reduce and not remove entirely the few things that give our troops a respite from the rigors of war. These are small but necessary comforts of home. Your comment "this is a war zone – not an amusement park" is a disrespectful and callous statement to make to the men and women who are stationed there and know first hand that they are in the war zone. They live it every day and don't need the likes of you to speak to them with such disregard. If current military leaders can't provide for the front lines then someone with more skills in logistics and organization needs to be put in the position to do so.

March 25, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Leisa

As a wife of an active duty soldier who is going on his 7th deployment since 9/11 I find this a morale buster!!!!! What stupid idiots in the White House think that it is a good thing to take a little bit of home away from the soldiers who are willing to die for their country! You politicians in DC and the Pentagon have to be the dumbest individuals on earth! Way to "kill" those willing to volunteer to serve their country without an IED or bullet!!!! They only have AAFES which is supposed to charge the same price for all items in all stores around the world....what a joke! They charge at least three times as much in a combat zone. Way to stick it to the fighting men and women of our Armed Forces!!! We all know where the priorities are in DC......

March 25, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  71. DH

I completely agree with this policy. All efforts should be focused on supporting maneuver forces, and in order to accomplish this, certain sacrifices must be made. Access to fast food establishments is completely unnecessary. I understand the argument that it hurts morale, but I do not agree. Our soldiers have access to exaclty the same kind of food at DFACs on larger bases...the same bases you find the fast food. So many soldiers spend an inordinate amount of money at BK/DQ it is disturbing.
    Bottom line is that to foster an environment conducive to maneuver support, sacrifices must be made. Turn these areas into ranges.

March 25, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  72. kyle R

To everyone saying, "these soldiers are force away from their families and face horrible work days, etc" , Boo hoo hoo! They signed up for it. They knew what they were getting into. Do you honestly think anyone joined the Army to watch movies and eat junk food? That's just absurd.
    I support them in there efforts, but this is a serious waste of tax money. They get better food in the mess hall than any of our children get in our public schools. This is ridiculous. have any of you ever met WW2, korea, or Vietnam vets? Do you know ludicrous it is to them that this is an issue?

March 25, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Kelly

These men are putting their lives on the line every day for us...AMERICANS! Give them a few simple luxuries...yes...DQ and BK would be considered luxuries in the hell hole they are stationed in!

March 25, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Rich

Having served in Iraq for several months, one of the biggest morale boosters next to having a phone call to the U.S was eating at BK or Taco Bell once a week. As I have read all 695 comments on here, if you haven't served in a WAR ZONE, you have nothing to criticize or complain about us having BK or DQ in the region. You naysayers sit back while you enjoy the comforts of us protecting your butts, while we are away from our loved ones, in harms way, and you want to take away a hamburger or sundae? As for the dumb A** Sgt Major making that decison or whatever the case may be, I have a question for you. Are you trying to gain something by taking the morale away from your soldiers, airmen and marines (okay navy too)? You are a complete and utter idiot. Since your probably not working those long hours or because you aren't capable of being married (or maybe you are but don't care about them) it's easy for you to take aways the simple pleasures of life away from home. So I say to all you naysayers, don't throw rocks if you live in glass houses cause something special may come your way and shatter your world like those military who GAVE UP their lives so you could be FREE! Get a life folks!

March 25, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  75. James Capelle

I am not sure if this SGT Major is playing with a full deck. I retired from the Army as an E7 with 20 years. After serving in Afghanistan (in an E8 Ops SGT postion) in 2005 /06, I have learned to hate Mexican food. KBR and their policy of hiring foreign nationals from Eastern Europe and every Tuesday night was Mexican food night and it was the worst food I have ever tasted. When a unit would pass through the our base (Camp Phoenix) and said that they liked and looked forward to trying the Mexican food, we would laugh when they came back from the mess hall and wanted to put a finger down their throats. We thought maybe KBR was doing this intentionally to save money. But when the few (under 5) American cooks on the KBR staff showed up at Subway later that night, you knew something was rotten in the mess hall. But why should the troops go to the Green Beans Coffee outlets, the KBR mess halls should be providing 24/7 free coffee anyway. I forgotten, we had to have coffee shipped from home to make it in our offices, rather than pay $4/5.00 per cup at the Green Beans Coffee outlets after KBR kicked everyone out of the mess hall after supper. The Burger King at Bagram was in a trailer, as was Subway at Camp Phoenix in was in an even smaller trailer. Movies have been a moral builder from as far back as WWII with a bed sheet strung between two trees in on an island. At Camp Phoenix movies were shown on the outside wall of the fire house. When I stayed over at Bagram a few nights, the movies were shown in the Moral and Welfare and Recreation facilities in a room that held other functions during other hours. As a matter of fact, on many state side base the movie house serve many other functions (briefings or large meetings) then showing one or two movies per week. I could go on with my comments but space maybe limited. Whoever is serving with this over the top SGT Major and he has gone far over the top and should be watching for PTDS, as he is going to allow himself to have any outlets for the daily stress that he will face over there.

March 25, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  76. may t

I reallly think its time to leave the soldiers alone. Quit forcing them to be politically correct in their associations and diets. The new administration has taken the term 'control freaks' to an unprecedented level. Soldiers can't have Dairy Queen?? Red blooded American boys can't fight a war on tofu a arugula.

March 25, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  77. RecentlyRetired

I wondered who gave this order and..............BLOG ! ! >>> This is a warzone – not an amusement park. From the moment GEN McChrystal and I arrived in Afghanistan last summer, we began looking for ways to do things more efficiently across the battlefield – the optimization of ISAF.

General McChrystal ! !

Enlisted whether it be corporal to CSM of the Army are for their soldier(s) who realize "Take care of the soldier and he'll take care of the mission". Commanders only want to look good and don't care who grumbles as long as their supervisors smile on them and their exceptional PowerPoint slides. This is why I retired at 20 rather than sticking it out for 30 due to these types of politics.

March 25, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Eddy

Don't forget, the picture of the Burger King might just be the one from Bagram Air Field in Afghanistan, this is the same one (since I was there) that served Burger King outside the Pentagon right after 9-11, the reason why we moved it from Washington DC to Afghanistan.
    Lastly, when you work 18 hours and the chow hall is closed, many times the only place you could get some calories for the next work day was at the Burger King. Food, water, variety are essentials, I'd say get rid of the flatscreens, microwaves, and rows of DVDs taking up space vice the Burger King; the commissary TV dinners are garbage.

March 25, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Delia

As the wife of a solider who served in Afg. It was nice for my husbad to be able to get something other than "chow hall' food. It's mass prepaired & not very good. Some of these guys live in tents for 18 monthes, They risk their lives. If they want a whopper no harm no foul.

March 25, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  80. E

Look guys BK and DQ is not the problem. I've been to Afghanistan as a Vet. I never see any wrong with eating burger or drinking shake. Because we PT everyday and other recreational activity and I'm still fit for duty. Don't take away that most of soldiers looking forward after mission is to eat burger and drink shake. It doesn't hurt the morale of soldier at all. PX is more candy that you can imagine but no one seems to care about that!

March 25, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Robert Terry

Ray Clark your full of it. You said "The guys serving in these places have no choice but to be there. Many of them are no volunteers but have been ordered to go there in other words." It's a volunteer military dumb azz. They know whats going on in the world when they signed up. I don't agree with them taking these thing away either. I was always looking forward to getting to one of those bases and eating good when I was in Iraq.

March 25, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  82. davec

Let's see...drop Burger King food so they can ship in army food instead? Doesn't food = food? Where is the savings in shipping volume?

Drop first run movies? First run movies help the soldiers stay connected to the US culture as well as gather as a team for some fun.

Drop favorite beverages for bulk water? Bummer.

It sounds to me like we are stretching the military supply chain and have to drop all but the basics.

March 25, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Phil Gibson

What does the removal of BK and DQ have to do with paying more attention to the Taliban. Thge Commander that made this decision needs to be relived. I thought that arrival of Jiffy Popcorn was a great treat during Vietnam.

Phil

March 25, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Tamarind

I was there on two tours. never really had time to go to those spots, but it was nice to know they were there. Made me feel like I wasn't completely alone out there. I guess it's more important to be miserable than to support troops on the line.

Enjoy your coffee SGM..

March 25, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  85. hopie

This war will never be won. I feel bad for all the soldiers and their famlies for doing the job of the political elite. Let them have their DQ, Woppers, and movies here at HOME. This was a non-needed war.

March 25, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  86. ngneer1

With all due respect to the Sgt Maj, it appears they are treating the sympton rather than curing the disease. The disease seems to be a broken logistics system...not MWR activities at main bases. I suggest the Sgt Maj focus his energies in forcing the loggie mafia to meet the combat outpost requirements. By the way, if this the kind of advice the CG gets from the Sgt Maj then heaven help us all!

March 25, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Tomoyo

I understand and support providing niceties like first-run movies to our troops, but to be honest, we never should have been shipping over fast food in the first place. It does them no benefit; that's like sending out a camera unit and smearing lard over their lenses. You want to talk about raising morale, what's wrong with cutting out depression-causing edible garbage?

March 25, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Phillip

Hey people

It is spelled morale, not moral.

March 25, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  89. SSGnomore

The saluting of officers everyten steps at Bagram is the real amusement park ride. Has anyone else gotten scolded for not saluting an officer? There are so many ways in which there is a lack of attention over there. To have a lazy contractor that makes 5 times your wage living next to you, coming to work hours later than you and leaving hours before you is a slap in the face.

March 25, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Wade

"The beatings will continue until morale improves"

March 25, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Morvegil

Men have been serving in wars for thousands of years. I find it appalling we show an image of an amusement park to people who we are trying to protect.

March 25, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  92. eighteen yrs in

I recently served in Iraq for a year sans all of the "luxuries" they are talking about taking away, (except for the last week when I returned to Baghdad as I left the country)... I lived. I served in Afghanistan in 2001 and did not have any of those "luxuries"... I lived. I'm getting ready to return for a second tour there... I will live. And not miserably. Part of our kickarsery is our ability to adapt and overcome. Unfortunately something about selfless service has been lost.

March 25, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  93. oda155

As a retired US Army Veteran I say... they'll get over it. They're in a warzone and it's time they understand that. To me it's funny how soldier now complain about deployments and everything that goes along with it... soldiers in WWII were there until it was over, they got that Million Dollar wound or they were killed... which ever came first, and those that were killed didn't come home. So, please don't whine about BK and DQ, do your job and come home. And yes, I have seen ground combat... Grenada, Somalia, Panama and Iraq during the first Gulf War.

March 25, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  94. miketaylor

"We did not have these kinds of brand name Americanization luxuries in Viet Nam and what we did have only served to make the Viet Cong’s political case for them." Hmmm, seem to remember we did. And Bob Hope. Hell, I remember one of my captains who was a salvage diver remarking that the FIRST priority when recovering supplies off a sunkan boat was the beer.But, I agree with the CSM. Close the BKs on the big bases. Fly the burgers straight from Kuwait to the FOBs. REMFs have enough luxuriy simply be being where they are.

March 25, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  95. S

I was hoping this was going to be a story about healthy eating choices. I think it's pretty cool that we can push the supply chain and provide soldiers DQ and Burger King in far away places.
    Logisticians Rock! Don't move this mountain, keep DQ and Burger King alive!

March 25, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Robert

i was at an outpost that did not have any of these commodities, but when i did go to a larger base it was nice to have a little something that reminded me of home. I understand their reasoning behind this decision but I still think a soldier's morale plays a big part in winning this war, and this is just another set back and making us mindless zombies that just execute orders.

March 25, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Paul

I presently work on a Air Force Base and watched them close the Mess Hall here.The only food services here are mostly Fast Foods. I don't know how the Military here stay in shape with the foods that are availible. I'm a Vietnam Vet and spent three years there the only extra foods we had availible was C Rations. From what I see at this base compared to the Military that I was in is that we didn't have all the over weight soldiers that I see here. Good for them they should removed all the BK and any other Fast Foods it's a good healthy choice.

March 25, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Andrend

I don't think I can appreciate any of the "right on" posts in this thread. I don't care how you relate yourself, as a vet, as the dad of a forward troop, whatever, these things are something us to look forward to. When that forward unit pulls into a base, they are no longer short on food or water, and would be overjoyed to get a whopper, trust me. Vets, I understand not all of us had the amenities at some points. My first time in the sand box it tents and cots, chow hall, and open showers. movie tents were an amazing get away if you could get there. Second time around, it we were more established, and upon returning to base, you really appreciate, these things provided. Think its too much luxury? You leave you family, your home, your country behind for a year, 2, even 3-4 for some of these folks. Tell me then that having a dairy queen on post is too much luxury, too much of a distraction. Lets just leave these guys and gals to stew on their already gutwrenching situation with no release for a 2 hour movie, with taste of the little things that all who are back home get fat on daily. This is a pathetic, and a very transparent disregard, showing just how many in this country still are hypocritical about standing behind the troops.

March 25, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Tom

I would be willing to bet my next paycheck that the people making this decision have never served one second of their lives in a war zone. The men and women serving there know their lives might END tomorrow and still do the job. So let's take away some little pleasures that make it somewhat more bearable. I can say been there done that and speak from experience.

March 25, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Mike

There guys are over there risking their lives – we should give them a Mortons Steak house, have the actual actors recreate the movies live for them and all the hookers and blow they want.

March 25, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |