March 25th, 2010

U.S. bases in Afghanistan say goodbye to Whoppers, DQ

Whoppers, Dairy Queen sundaes and the latest movies will soon disappear for U.S. military personnel serving in Afghanistan, according to a blog posting by Sgt. Maj. Michael T. Hall discussing changes to morale, welfare and recreation facilities on U.S. bases there.

In an effort to put more focus on fighting the Taliban, the military is cutting back on "non-essentials" in Afghanistan, Hall announced on the International Security Assistance Force Afghanistan blog this week. Hall is the command sergeant major for ISAF.

On large U.S. facilities such as the Kandahar and Bagram air bases, that includes closing restaurants such as Burger King, Dairy Queen, Orange Julius and Pizza Hut, dropping first-run movies from base theaters and cutting the amount of canned and bottled goods imported from the States, Hall writes.

“This is a warzone – not an amusement park,” he writes.

“Supplying nonessential luxuries to big bases like Bagram and Kandahar makes it harder to get essential items to combat outposts and forward operating bases, where troops who are in the fight each day need resupplied with ammunition, food and water,” Hall says in the blog posting.

Hall says eliminating the restaurants and other facilities will free up space to accommodate more than 35,000 U.S.  and allied troops who will be arriving in Afghanistan in the coming months.

But troops shouldn’t feel neglected, Hall writes, as the military plans to increase fitness centers and Internet and telephone capabilities.

And they’ll still be able to get a good cup of coffee as the Green Beans Coffee outlets at bases across the country will remain open, Hall writes.

Post by:
Filed under: Troops
soundoff (1,607 Responses)
  1. Christopher

I really feel for our men and women who are serving overseas right now in the war. I am a veteran myself and I know what it's like to have those little creature comforts. Morale and welfare is the only thing you have when thousands of miles from home and loved ones. Sometimes, it's nice to run across the base to the DQ and have a burger or an ice cream. Those are the little bits of home that our service men and women have over there. Ask yourself, if that were your son or daughter, would you want them to go without those comforts that made them feel closer to you?

March 25, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Cynical Randy

As a Viet Nam vet, all I can say is there are alot of idiotic statements here. Far too many for me to comment on.

March 25, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Julian 10yr Vet

Last time i checked, the military is still a voluntary force. Some of these comments are ridiculous. Military members are well paid, pay no taxes, free health care for entire family and so many more benefits. We need a Patton to come around and slap all of you in the head!

March 25, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. txkboy

This SgtMaj needs a kick in the pants. He's there to support his troops, not take away from them. Is he running for political office when he retires? I agree with some posters here. These guys are working long hours, and believe me, their thinking about the war, and all they want when they get off is a hot shower, decent meal, and maybe catch a movie or sack time before loading up again. They should cut back on the three times overpriced fighter jets and let the warfighters keep their piece of civilization.

March 25, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kate

WOW! I thought maybe they were doing it for health reasons but to say its a warzone and not an amusement park? Way to go, denying our hard working men and woman the little luxury of a burger and ice cream when they are working their butts off to protect this country. As a military wife, I know firsthand how they suffer over there and now they are going to be treated even worse, getting what little they had left taken away to accommodate MORE troops. Didn't the president promise to end this war?!?!

March 25, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. deryk houston

This is a great move. Get the fast foods out of Afghanistan. The next step is to load up your soldiers and get them out as well. They have no idea why they are there in the first place. They are not making a difference... in fact they are the problem. They are dying and being sacrificed for pipeline roots of the oil companies and peoples egos.
    America will eventually admit defeat and get out, There will be no way to bring back your son or daughter. And unfortunately, no one will remember or care about them. Not really. The world will just go on about it's business....no idea of what they have lost.

March 25, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mike (a vet)

Oh, please. These posters are insane. Did they take away hamburgers? Movies? No. They removed a bunch of corporations that have no business profiting off our military women & men in the first place. Besides, we know those restaurants serve god-awful garbage that no one who is concerned with their well-being should eat anyway. They'll still be able to get a cheeseburger, folks. Maybe you all should march on Washington & demand that Burger King has a god-given right to make money off our troops.

March 25, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. David

I have served over in the desert 4 out of the last 5 years spending lots of time away from my family. Now I was never the one to hit up Burger King or DQ or Pizza Hut or whatever they may have there, when I got to spend some time in at my base after being at a FOB for however long. However, when at a place that has these types of things it is at usually not at a FOB or base of similar size or function but normally at a place like Baghdad or Bagram. Also, with that being said BK, DQ are normally located at the PX/BX. So "incoming troops" is why they are removing them is a lie. Two, these places of morale do not impede supplies from getting to troops, again another lie. They are two different missions, this is just another excuse to get rid of something a General who doesn't know what it is like to be in the "suck" doesn't like looking at. This is a major boost to morale when troops have some R&R from the combat zone that so many see.

March 25, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. William

As a military member having served a few rotations in the 'theater' I can honestly say this is a decision that makes absolutely no sense. I echo the sentiments of the other military posters that this decision only serves to harm the morale of those at the FOB who look forward to the taste of home when they get an R & R rotation back to the main bases. The argument that this decision is required to free up space for an additional 35K troops is total crap! When the fast food locales are not placed directly in the BX complex they're placed in trailers near it. I've yet to be at any of our bases where the BX complex is actually part of the housing area for the personnel.

Saying that the military is having problems keeping the FOBs supplied with food and water is absolutely laughable. With reporters embedded in units and troops communicating on a somewhat regular basis with family back home are we truly expected to believe that something of this magnitude hasn't made it into the media limelight?

March 25, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ken Kilby

Unbelievable! One of the first thing an NCO learns is to take care of the troops, their physical well being and morale. I am sitting her trying to put my thoughts into words and all I can think is unbelievable!!

March 25, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. question

I love reading everyone's opinion on this subject. I think it sucks that they are taking these things away, but if they are removing them, there's probably a good reason. I think this is proof that our troops need us now more than ever. How many of the people who posted on this story have actually sent a letter or care package to a solider? We may not be able to send Whoppers or Ice Cream, but we can at least send a little piece of home to them. If the government needs to divert funds used for fast food to water and basic essentials, then we need to pick up the slack and do our part to show the troops that we support them whole heartedly. Set politics aside and do whats right!

March 25, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ed

Hey I'll bet if we work really, really hard we can find just one more idiot educated beyond the scope or their intelligence to place in a command position. The President, yes the President should get involved with this. Don't worry, he won't. He just critisizes cops. Hmmmm..... I suppose we could say that the Afghan civilians are mad because the they feel discriminated against. Im sure he'd get involved then!

March 25, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Scott

For starters, I was stationed at BAF for six months in 2009. I also served in Iraq in 2007. The spaces that these establishments take up is minimal, and the location of the Pizza Hut/Green Bean/Popeye's Chicken was all in one old building there.
    I don't understand why they would take these things away from all of the troops that are stationed there. My outfit got one day off a week, worked 14-15 hour days, six days a week. We all looked forward to going and having a sundae or even some pizza on our day off. It's a place to unwind.
    As for not military aircraft being used to bring in the food that these establishments serve is complete B.S. As one person wrote on here, "in Iraq it was contracted out to commecial companies". The same goes for BAF. There were all sorts of contracted airlift coming in and out of there every single day! From IL-76's, 747's, AN-124's...and so on. What was on those planes? The food that was served in these restaraunts to the food we ate at the chow halls. This is also how most of our supplies for the BX would come in too. So are they going to start taking away CD's, movies, and lets not forget the PS3's and XBox 360's. As for the FOB's not getting supplies, it isn't the fault of the establishments on base, or the latest copy of the newest movie. It's a warzone folks and airlift gets cancelled...this is MILITARY airlift I'm talking about. Any rations that go to the FOBS are taken out and delivered by 1) convoy or 2) military airlift. Military aircraft break down, weather cancel, etc. It happens on a daily basis.
    I understand that this is a warzone and that there is a certain mindset one must have when there. But, at the same time, people need to decompress and get their minds off of the things they see and the things they do while there.
    Green Bean's Coffee...wonder why it is still sticking around? Because it is run off of donations folks.
    This coming from a Sgt Major who more than likely is sitting in the HQ building with his Green Bean coffee and the only time he goes out on the "front lines" is when he is escorted by "X" or a contingent of bodyguards for a publicity photo op. *thumbs up* Sgt Major

March 25, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. 503d INF March or Die

Well, I agree and I disagree! First the SM in the COB are the ones who don't even get the treat of having DQ and ect... The FOBITs are the one who abused this! Just like anything in the Army one person is messed up then guess what we all PAY. 2nd, From my two tours in iraq I had more issues with SM on the NET all night before mission! DQ BK and other canned soda ban is cause instead of losing weight in country SM are gettin HUGE! AKA FOBIT POG"S. So I say if the Men and Women in the COB can't have it then why should the FOBITs. To include rooms with internet. Make everyone go to a cafe like us in the COB's!

March 25, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. nrml_guy

Take it away! Take it all away! They should be living a spartan lifestyle anyways its the dam military. Besides there is some crackhead in jerkwater, iowa that needs free healthcare and someone has to pay.

March 25, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jumoke

I believe that this is a very sagacious idea. Being that fast food resturants are the cause of obesity. They are in a foreign place and should not be distracted by such things as first-run movies. They should be allowed certain things but honestly this is sending the wrong message in a war zone. Why would we want our troops to be comfortable in a place where anything could happen at any second. You wouldn't want them to be blown up while they're at a Pizza Hut or Burger King, even though the location does not matter. This is all coming from a 16 year old, with a lot more common sense than the average American.

March 25, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  17. michael hardinger

Sad.
    I am going to Afghanistan on 31st march for 10 days to entertain the danish troops with some hard rock, and I guess we will have to cook some camel burgers ourselves...

March 25, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  18. MechGunner

Lol I was there I ran missions everyday somtimes 3 a day! I ran more missions on the security team then the grunts did and I maintained there stuff!!! I shouldn't get a whopper cuz they complain or a CSM or general or who ever else thinks otherwise! They should of rolled with us OUT of the WIRE! That kinda stuff kept me freaking sane for god sakes it does raise moral! Who ever agrees with this decision is a moron and can go F*** themselves greatly.

March 25, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Chopchop

The food comes from the same place as the chowhall gets theres the class 1 yard so in all reality if a soldier decides to pay for his food, it is one less meal at the chowhall and probably didn't make a bit of difference. They aren't sending Burger King "Reefers" in the military planes, no bread truck pulls up. This isn't Burger King as we know it in the States. The Sergeant Major has a vendetta against soldiers eating "Fat pills" as many senior ncos do having "not had that luxury in my day".

This is not even a debate as he has his mind set. The V.A. will point out that being stuck on a base and having to work long hours to support the troops in the field can be every bit a hardship as actual fighting which most of them would probably rather be doing. Most everyone gets to choose the job they do in the Army, and does there part. The senior NCO's need to fix the logistics issues and make sure that everyone gets some MWR.

There shouldn't be an issue shipping ammo to these FOBS either, this should be the first priority with troops. Many other things can be convoyed from Fob to Fob, with a better established hub and ring concept opposed to driving across the country with supplies. You will see the Army become more like Walmart in the future, with pinpoint deliveries and automatic stock reording, rerouting, etc....

I recollect Iraq having ammunition shortages too...Now they are having trouble shipping connexes full of unused "forgotten about" ammo off of the newly closed bases.

March 25, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Former USAF

WE should be taking responsiblity for the necessary decisions made by the commanders (removed from the front-lines as they obviously are) by not taking up the "war effort" back home like we did during the wars of yester-year. Nowadays our only passion for our heroes comes when we read an article like this and flame our disgust via our keyboards from the comfort of our homes. How about instead of making our troops on the front line do without, we impose a "give back to our troops" tax on the purchases made by us back home at any of the afformentioned fast food establishments who are making money on our bases so each of us remembers each time we make a fast food purchase during this time of war that every burger we buy and consume in the peace of our home is made possible by the efforts of our fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters and children who have volunteered on our behalf to fight over there? With the amount of fast food this country greedily consumes this would allow us to support them not only in order to finance their seemingly tiny but impactful creature comforts but to buy our troops some decent armor and vehicles. I recognize the Army's stance that cheeseburgers don't stop bullets, Kevlar and other equipment does. However, cheeseburgers do stop troops from going nuts and using bullets on themselves, other troops or innocent civilians. Taking the time to write an angry comment flaming a necessary command decision in support of finishing this war is certainly thoughtful and sweet but what do you really do on a day-to-day basis to support our troops? Ask yourself that as you zip through the drive-thru tonight on your way home to eat with your loved ones or friends.

March 25, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Shocked Swabee

What a sorry leader who doesn't know morale if it hit him in the face. I used to work for a First Sergeant while on NATO duty that was as thick-headed as this bozo. My God, soldiers in Afghanistan actually want something similar to home while facing death?

If he was in France during WWII, he would have forced all the women out, saying they were 'an unnecessary distraction', or would have taken away all of the beer in Saigon and barred soldiers from the bars, saying that Vietnam "wasn't an amusement park'. Ohh yeah, REAL smart. I'm SO glad I joined the Navy if the Army has leadership like this. Veterans and active duty servicemembers know all too well this kind of leader- office bound, bored, and looking to make a name for himself/herself. Congratulations- you are now vilified for your short-sightedness.

March 25, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Raleighracer

Here is a solution to the problem; just bring the troops home, every last one of them. We have no business being there in the first place and imagine the amount of money we are wasting every single day. We could use this money to better the country, like create jobs and repairing the economy

March 25, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Andrea DeSisto

Wow, its not like our wonderful soldiers are being treated to steak house dinners and top of the line gourmet restaurants. Its Burger King & Dairy Queen for gods sake! Heaven forbid our soldiers have a little creature comfort while they are away from home and their families. You are right they are "fighting a war" fighting it for all of us at home.....let them have a freaking cheeseburger or an ice cream cone. Sgt. Mgr. Hall, I don't beleive it is taking anyones mind off of what they are there for.....I don't remember a draft, I do beleive those men & women are there of their own valition, not to mention love of country. Shame on you sir, and I use the term very lightly . Shame on you and anyone who has backed you in what for this Mom feels is a ridiculous decision. Shame on you!!

March 25, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Bill Howerton -

This has got to be one of the poorly thought-out ideas that the services have ever come up with! I spent 20 years in the Air Force, and I thoiught I'd seen some stupid decisions while I ws in, but this one beats them all.

Have these people ever heard of something called morale? When you send people to a war zone, you want them motivated. Taking away the few luxuries they have will NOT get them home faster; it will not "yhelp us relate" to the Afghan people, or any of those other moronic things some people in this blog have written. And for those who had tougher assignments – yeah so did I, but how does that make it a good idea to make this one tougher?

All this is going to accomplish is bring down morale, retention rates, and mission effectiveness. DUMB DUMB DUMB!!

March 25, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Nancy

This is stupid. Our service men and women are putting their lives on the line for our country. The least we can do is give them the opportunity to buy an ice cream. Once again Uncle Sam shows us how much our service men are appreciated. URGH!!!!!

March 25, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  26. disappointed troop

Being deployed at the current moment, this news strikes hard. I will probably not ever eat at the burger king or dairy queen and i may never step foot inside the theater, but there are a lot of people who value those things to maintain the idea of home. It is bad enough to be separated from your family, but to have the few small reminders of home stripped away seems unfair and unnecessary. I am all for having more fitness centers since the ones we are provided seldom have the amount of equipment to accomodate the personnel, but there should be a fair trade off.

March 25, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  27. kay crawford

Looks like the government control of our health has begun already..

March 25, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  28. 85th Airborne

This is a good thing. Removing artery clogging fastfood will keep our soldiers fitter and keep weight problems down. We need harden soldiers not fatty slow pokes in our forward operating area. Pigging out in a warzone is not gonna help soldier's dodge bullets, in fact it would slow him down. Why should the soldiers need to be reminded of a taste of home ? It's not very encouraging to be reminded that 2/3 rd of American are overweight.

March 25, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Archeoptimist

I am an old vet who has a son who is a two-tour vet of Iraq. I enlisted in the Army and my son enlisted too. I would like to say that it reminds me of 1972 to read dumbass comments from shirkers who think that "volunteer" is synonymous with stupid, and that working 12 hour days and getting shot at and blown up is somehow all that a soldier deserves. The only thing that calms me down is the certainty that the jerks that write these mindless comments will one day shoot their mouths off in public and promptly get their mouths filled with knuckles. These sorry, ignorant, ingrateful, greedy tea sippers will be doubly surprised when they are knocked on their asses by 70 year-olds.

March 25, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  30. MarkWB

I was in Afghanistan, a having lived on a FOB that was in quite an austere part of the country, I so loved the rare opportunity to get to the larger bases because of the amenities they had to offer. To remove these, is to definitely put morale on a diminishing path. There is plenty of space in Afghanistan, and there are plenty of Afghans willing to help with expansion. The SGM should find something else to occupy his time, having seen how those guys live; maybe he can give up some of his gorgeous living space to a few soldiers.

March 25, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Andy

I feel fast food is trash and should not be served to people especially who need to be at their peak performance.

– A

March 25, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  32. retired 57

Having eaten MRS and T-rats for days in the field.. it sucks.. don't worry about ever having diarhea. They are sort of tasty.. but terrible for the digestion.

Fast food and movies are not a luxury.. they are a break.

Our service people deserve any break they can get.. particularly when they are in a war zone.

Bring them home.. there really is no honor in what we are doing in Iraq...

Focus on Afghanistan.. finish the job and leave.

March 25, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Sean

What bothers me the most is that Seargeant Major Hall says "This is a war zone not an amusement park."

Seriously, is everyone sitting around saying "it is so good to be hanging out in this amusement park." Obviously not. Keep in mind that this is the person in charge of morale, welfare and recreation facilities on U.S. bases over in the war theatre.

I use to say "unbelievable" when I hear things like this. Now I just sigh and say "believable".

Also – The military doesn't spend any money to provide these restaurant foods. All they do is allow them on the bases.

Let's keep our eyes on the prize and not treat our soldiers so poorly.

March 25, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Phil Dikeman

OK...somebody tell me again...Why are we even over there?

March 25, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  35. ARMY MP

Well this is an interesting move, Morale will crash and burn. Low morale=low performance=more casualties and soldiers left to their own devices. I love all the Vietnam vets talking about they didn't have any luxuries. Lets see there was beer, we can't drink in the modern military in a war zone. There were lots of drugs, again frowned on in new military, I believe you could go into town and they had clubs, bars, resteraunts, etc just like living at home, your only allowed to leave base for missions now. I know not all Vietnam was like that they had remote loactions just like we have now. The above mentioned luxuries were at the large bases. If you were lucky you might visit a large base once every couple of months. As far as the MARINES go, you guys are tough and don't need this stuff, plus you are only in country for 6 month, barely long enough to miss home. 🙂

March 25, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  36. RC

You know what...I have a good idea for these war chiefs....get these miserable countries and bombard them with cheeseburguers, pizzas, hotdogs and veggie burguers...you'll become their next best friend....If bombs and ammo wont scare them off, the scent of a nice greasy burger, fries and dripping pizza, or chilli dog, will definitely make them run out of their caves...who need to shoot anyone? No more violence!!!!

March 25, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Adam

To the people on this blog who think current military members are getting spoiled...I invite you to come on a tour with us to either Iraq or Afghanistan, your choice. I worked for 123 days straight without a day off, 15 hour days, and extreme heat with no a/c. Now we may have different ideas of being spoiled, but i am pretty sure this does not make me spoiled. On the contrary, I believe those that have never served in the military are quite spoiled and those on here that did serve an enlistment or two must have forgotten the constant sacrifices military members and their families make. Seriously, to call any military person spoiled is quite insulting and repugnant, especially when it has been us, the military alone, that has shouldered the burdon of 2 wars, without any sacrifice from those that continue to thumb their collective noses at us from the safety and comfort of their homes and communities. The very safety of your homes and communities that WE continue to provide for you. Try sacrificing like we do on a daily basis, just for a day? Now try for a week. A month. A year. Let's see how you do.

Adam

March 25, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  38. TMcMillan

Now what they need to do is get rid of these facebooks and myspace that these soldiers have acess to 24/7. Then they are consumed in what their spouse is or isnt doing.

March 25, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Robert in Louisville

I was torn to learn the news. First, I found out that our soldiers had these amenities and was happy, then learned that they are being taken away and became sad. Someone had to make the decision to put the establishments in and for a good reason...morale. Now, that someone, maybe the same person, maybe not, has decided that its time to take the "amusement park" out. You dont have to look far at all to see that our leaders, here and abroad, can't make a decision and stick with it. Sorry to all of you over there that have to put up with this sort of leadership-Maytag washer leadership-Hot and cold

March 25, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  40. randy shumaker

If you want to improve morale the answer is simple : Reinstate the draft. The problem is that many of our kids are serving 2, 3 4, and even 5 combat rotations...This is unheard of in our history.
    Of course our cowardly politians will never suggest anything that
    would cause them to lose their jobs ...They are counting on these heroic vounteers to carry the weight for all of America.
    May God bless our soldiers and may God d–n our cowardly politicians.

March 25, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Bubba North

Idiots, they are just trying to save money. Give the troops and my SON back their food. Its what most of them want !!!!

March 25, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Jason

I agree that our troops should be treated like the heroes that they are. I do not believe, however, that providing our troops with an incredibly unhealthy menu serves to honor them.

March 25, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  43. John

I'm pretty sure these guys realize they're not in a amusement park. As someone who has served overseas it these little pieces of home that mean so much after a day, week, or month out in the field. Such a small luxury to afford our fighhting forces who give so much. But as we have learned from the past morale really doesn't much anyway so their should be nothing negative coming from this decision. Good call.

March 25, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Diana Allen

It's bad enough that they are stuck out there, now they have to go and take the few things that remind them of home. Way to kill morale.

March 25, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Old Soldier

So, as in past wars, where do the soldiers go for R & R, remember that?

March 25, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  46. jason

You ali singed up to be "warriors", not so tough without your burgers and ice cream huh? No wonder the US got rid of all the terrorists...oh wait, you didnt. Maybe you should fire your weapon and not stuff your face with popcorn at the latest showing of The Bounty Hunter. GO USA!!!

March 25, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Adam

I think they can survive without stupid burger king and dairy queen, its a war zone, not a vacation.

March 25, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Infanteer

Already done multiple tours in Afghanistan and I can tell you, that the ones doing the fighting don't really get anytime to hit up the Burger King or Pizza Hut anyway.

March 25, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  49. 1st SGT Retired

I can't beleive that slop that we are served out here Sgt. You think they would send us some of them Whoppers from camp. I know I'm complaining but it aint right. They have all the comforts of home and I am the one being shot at. What Sgt. we going back to base tomorrow, HOT DANG I can not wait to get some frys with my Whopper, what you mean quiet down that the best news I have .................................., is that ketchup on my face, I didn't order ketchup.... hay SGT why you covering me up.

What the CSM is doing is removing distractions and treating the troop in a more consistant manner, that will save lives. I would go ahead and remove the Green Bean as mess hall coffee was good enough in the past. I salute all of our fighting troops as they have volunteer to serve our country. If you want to make it easier on them enlist and take thier place.

1st Sgt Retired

March 25, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Sandy

What a poor decision and lapse in judgement. Everyone, including contractors are adults and find the conditions especially in Afghanistan (vs Iraq)unfavorable and certainly a warzone; NEVER A DISNEYLAND or VACATION spot! When you mess with military or civilian options for personal meals or entertainment; as a RESPITE from an seemingly endless war....you are impacting their hearts, their esprit de corps –
    General, I pray you reconsider – and apologize for the actions you obviously did NOT realize would impact our warriors (contractors included)quality of life (QOL). However, it is not surprising to me, since I know the Air Force typically and historically has made QOL an important issue and tenet to provide a healthier emotional and spiritual ;mileu for their troops. YOU are making unreasonable decisions for our troops – Take this challenge to limit yourself in the future 6mos to 1 yr; to chow halls (and no restaurants at all in the USA)and no movies and letsee how you fare.

March 25, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  51. jeff

WOW.... This has got to be the biggest lame brain idea that they could do. Those boys are fighting for us. They are thousands of miles away from home and ducking bullets and bombs everyday some of the things that help remind them of home that they are fghting for are being taken away. Being ex army I would have to say it was nice to have a memory of home available to me after I served my country. To think that this is a good idea is as stupid as being there any longer then they have to be. I just two days ago read an artical on the depression our boys and girls are dealing with over there and now some SO CALLED leader thinking this is better for our troops is going to take away something that reminds them everyday what they are fighting for..... I will end with this one comment ... To our boys and girl THANK YOU for what you do everyday for us and to the mind numb leaders thinking of making it harder on you........ GO STICK YOUR HEAD IN YOUR COFFEE

March 25, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  52. LannieC

This kind of thing just shows why we are still in these countries. This is the poorest leadership we have ever had. If we had intellegent military leadership, this war would have been over several years ago. I'm retired military and the ability to have some fast food once in awhile, instead of rations, makes for a happier fighting man. if they are having trouble feeding our forward troops, that is the fault of leadership not doing their job, not fast food outlets.

March 25, 2010 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Frank

I believe the Sergeant Major is right on!!! But he stopped short.

As a verteran of OIF 1 and 2 (shortly deploying to Afghanistan in June), I know what haardships, danger and isolation are all about. Still, war is war! We need to be clear on what our objectives are, and use every resource available to turn around this mis-managed war that has gone on for so long. Burger King will not make life more secure for the Afghan population (which ultimately is the goal that will bring us home). Using resources to provide security for civilian employees pulls soldiers and resources away from the primary effort. Lastly, these over-garrisoned, sergeant major-infested concession areas become hotspots for senior NCO's who, instead of spending their working hours managing the efficient flow of personnel and equipment to forward operating bases and taking care of the welfare of soldiers, seem quite content to merely walk around and bark at soldiers for wearing sunglasses around their necks! Send them home, too. There's too many of them not doing anything.

SGM Hall has the right idea! We need the room for the warfighter. The major bases DO have huge mess halls that are secure, inspected, and certainly do provide burgers and fries. The electricity-generating resources, demands on water and other critical needs (not to mention transport capability, does not justify the existance of these institutions on our critical bases, they simply attract a lot of non-critical people. I think the Sergeant Major would seriously entertain ideas about improving OUR mess halls (though they are pretty good, and I remember when we didn't have them), as well as be open to other suggestions of giving soldiers stress relief within the scope of accomplishing our mission!

Right on!

My name is Staff Sergeant Devine, and I accept full responsibility for my comments.

March 25, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Cyndi

YES GET BURGER KING AND ALL THE FAST FOOD CHAINS OUTTA THERE. Trust me, all that junk food is doing is poisoning our troops...Get real everybody!!

March 25, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Matthew Kramer

I am a Spc in the United States Army. These things increase moral of us soldiers. It feels like the higher you go in rank some people seem to forget these things. We need a break from the DFAC and to get our minds off the things we go through over there!! How would you keep coffee but get rid of everything else? That just doesn't make sense. If you really need the space for more troops here is an idea.. Quit sending so many of us over there! Give us a break we all deploy like freaking crazy! Just makes things worse then they are already!

March 25, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Hufdaddy

Well, they finally did it. I just arrived home last month from a tour in Afghanistan. This year I served in Kandahar. The tour before I spent on one of the more remote FOBs. Gen McCrystal rolled through our base a few months prior to my departure to come home. He was said to be disgusted by KAF's lack of focus on the battlefield. He stopped 90% of all MWR activities sponsored by US Forces. The rumors were abounding that BK was soon to go. I saw one poster mention how she was appalled because her son was on a remote FOB where food and water were a big concern. I understand her feelings having been in that situation myself in the past. What a lot a people don't understand is that Kandahar is a major HUB of activity in the south. Many visitors arrive from the "frontline". Those visitors, while envious, are eager to get just a bit of that taste of home before heading back to their FOB. Lets be realistic, we are talking about three food trailers barely able to put lettuce on there sandwiches. A KBR run DFAC can produce a higher quality of food then what I have gotten at these places. These are "teasers", a way to encourage a soldier who has had a long tour, and not just the fat cats that spend the whole year on KAF. I wish that General had shown up at this SGT/E-5's office to discuss the impact of this on a man to man level , rather than a peon to general officer level. If I had been able to put my two cents in I am sure it would have been written off as just another soldier who doesn't have the proper "perspective" on the war effort.

March 25, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  57. wildcats1

So many have all ready said this, but it bears repeating: The only people that will be negatively impacted by this decision are the Soldiers at the COPS nad FOBS that are gone for weeks or months at a time and only want a break from the mess hall food or MRE's. Unfortunately, this decision was probably based on the fact that all the support personnel, the ones living on Bagram and etc, are probably eating there everyday and abusing the right to do so. Yes, this will effect Moral, Soldiers need a break from the rigors of being out and off the base. Who do you think all those people are on TV getting to watch the stars as they come vist the bases? It is not the front line combat troops, this is in the same vain. I challenge the CSM and CG to go for a year with eating only the messhall food and MRE's.

March 25, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Mills

I can't help but be upset about this.

The military gets so much and yes they are out there for us but they signed up for this and if they in no way wanted that then they shouldn't have committed. Many of us here fight daily in our jobs and our lives for freedoms here, how should they be any different??

We all know people in the military, i even have a friend here who brags about all they get for free and how its their privilege. I can't help but disagree. We all give and we all risk our lives daily, even teachers get killed at their job and working in a hospital for me, i save people daily.

Take away their fast food, its not healthy anyway. I would hate for one to gain weight and fail to be fit in a situation.

War is War.
    Do your work and be done.
    Just like the rest of us.

March 25, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Adam

Oh, one more thing. If space is such a premium and airlift can no longer carry supplies into the AOR because of all the non-essential goods, how is all the new gym equipment getting over there? Anyone? Whether it is gyms or fast food, the front-line guys are still not going to get a chance to enjoy them so let's actually start working together instead of against each other.

March 25, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  60. AfghaniSarge

War zone? Only for the enemy! Saluting, reflective belts, etc...but yeah don't take away those things, things that prior wars were fought and won without...things that the ground grunt knows will get you killed in a heartbeat...take away the small slice of life a troop in a war zone can enjoy for a fleeting moment before going back into the hellhole...kill the troops mentally...way to go Sir!

March 25, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Angry

This is such a crop of crap to do this to our men and women fighting for our very rights to have a DQ and Whopper!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How low can someone be to take this away from them as this may be the highlight of there day when times are tough. The people that are in charge of making these types of decisions have a cold heart!!!! Can someone tell me the difference between watching a new realease movie and them saying they plan to have more internet available? Geez, come on, leave these men and women that may never see another movie again alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 25, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Deborah Liberatore

People, I just read yesterday that Saudia Arabia stated that all companies doing business in the country must be owned 51% by their country or something like that. Out of country businesses can only do business in a small area. Obviously, these companies did not want to play by their rules. Chavez uses these rules in Venezuela.

March 25, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Gerry B

I will miss this. I always looked forward to having some Burger King. It reminded me of having a burger back home. What a shame.

March 25, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  64. laneyluv

These men and women work very hard trying to keep the peace. I think that they deserve a little "luxury" in the face of all the horrors of war. this is just wrong and I hope that they rethink this before they take it all away.

March 25, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Adam

So many morons on this blog I do not even know where to begin. To all the retired and former military members: thank you. Thank you for your sacrifices. However, do not compare your military experiences from the 50's through the 80's with today's military. There is no comparison, deal with it. To all those that have never had the honor and pleasure to serve our country: you missed out on doing something bigger than yourself. Unfortunately, the vast majority of you confuse volunteering with indentured servitude. Yes, we are volunteers but does that mean we deserve less? No, it does not. Deal with it. For all those on here that are trying desperately to blame Pres Obama for this, please, please pull your heads out of your asses. Look at the bigger picture and you will see where the problems started. Bush tried to privatize the military which is why KBR and company have the most lucrative contracts. We are paying a mint to have our dining halls cook our food because our service personnel are no longer allowed to do their jobs. That did not start with Obama. Deal with it! To all of you who think eating fast food is a luxury: does that even require a comment? There is no luxury in eating fast food. But it is a nice thing to have after a 15 hour day. And not sure about any of you, but after working in 120 degree heat in Kandahar, an ice cream really hit the spot. didn't make me fat or make me forget I was at war. To all the "PC" folks on here with your sniveling about "if he doesn't get it, then no one should." Nice rationale. Front line troops run out of toilet paper. Should the rest go without too? So before anyone else comments, please do us all a favor. Reach down between your legs and pull your heads out! And last but certainly not least, for the troops at the front lines, in the FOB's and all their families: God Bless You All. Be safe and come home soon.

Adam, AD USAF, E-8

March 25, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  66. youngmoney

Sounds like the food court at the local mall. If they wanted to hang out at the food court at the local mall, they should have never enlisted. I don't want my tax dollars wasted making sure they get their fix of junk food or the newest release of Twilight. What would General Patton say? Pansies that's what!!!

March 25, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Madonna

How horrible to take away from the troops. For God's sake, the last thing we need to be doing is taking something away...and comforts from home, that keep them feeling a little connected? Come on! OK...junk food is not all that great, but there is some mental comfort that comes with eating a DQ sundae. There's a connection to home when you can't call all the time, and are constantly reminded of what a crap hole you have deployed to. These are not resorts the troops are living in...why treat them as if they are at the Ritz. Throw them a bone. Geez.

March 25, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  68. BRS

Way to keep the troops focused. Let's make sure they're absolutely as freaking miserable as possible. I mean this is war–and this will help them understand that.....because getting shot at and blown up just isn't doing it.... WHAT A DAMN IDOT!

March 25, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Mike

This generation has such a sense of entitlement. Back when, things like a BK and a DQ in a war zone were unheard of and now it seems they are expected to be there. Just because they are at all the bases at home, they can't be part of of landscape in the warzone.

March 25, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  70. cc

Seems like prisoners get more privleges. Hope the morale of the troops stays up and someone does not go "postal".

March 25, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  71. EdNY

The "pogues" didn't necessarily eat at burger king or pizza hut when I was at Kandahar because it isn't the same quality as the states but a good stand in as the chowhall sucked catering more towards european style food. The combat arms teams that rolled into Kandahar did frequent it as they should as a way to relax. Strategically it seems like a good move because there are times when it is tough to ship essentials where they need to go, but as some troops are deploying for their 4th, 5th, 6th and so on time, they need certain comforts all the more. Furthermore, the two aformentioned bases are where casualties are initially sent(and recover from minor injuries), hubs to fly back to kuwait, and potential places for quick R&R when needed. A better proposal would have been to limit when they are open as there is usually a "fighting season" centered around the poppy season.

March 25, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Nikki

So, they can die at any moment but they can't enjoy crappy junk food and a first run movie? When you know that you might die at any moment, I'm pretty sure that the mission is never far from your mind. In fact, I'm sure that knowing where they are and why, those burgers and movies are appreciated a little bit more.

March 25, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  73. m

i always buy my enimies triple chese triple bacon burgers and double cheese nacho,legal slow like sinide

March 25, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  74. TxRebel

As I am on my final days of my Iraq tour I cannot express on how "Dumb" this decison is. As a convoy operator I can't believe the leadership is ready to yank away morale and "so called "nonessential luxuries " is ridiculious. There are times when you go out the wire and make it to a FOB and miss the chow hall times due to mission requirements so you are thankful for BK, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, etc etc.. It's either that or starve until the next avaiable hours of the dining facitlity as long as mission does not cut into that time. Yes some FOBs don't have those luxuries here in Iraq and yes some in Afghan but same goes for the movie theatre. i say if you;re going ot take those things them take them all to include Starbucks and Coffee Bean and see who all endures on those "nonessential Luxuries!". I now I will be experiencing the Afghan tour witiin the next year and to know that I will not have a leadership that supports morale then I can block it out during post briefs and enjoy those luxuries when back home and save the coffee for when i am in the WARZONE...

March 25, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Steven

Ok, this is good. We are starting to remove the food that is making Americans obese. We made a Rec. Daily Allowance of calories for a reason. We know what essential nutrients are. This was a smart nutritional move. Great job!

March 25, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Eric

That last thing we should expect from our soldiers over there fighting for us, in the hot, dusty, dry sand day in and day out is to actually enjoy themselves with a burger or an ice cream sunday. Is it a military base or a prison?

March 25, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  77. CW

I'm stunned. The media and politicians have crammed it down our gullible throats that our brave fighting men and women (sic) have been in harm's way all this time. Now we hear that most of them are on safe bases with Burger King and Dairy Queen (was that a Title IX requirement)?
    I feel sorry for the men who are really doing the fighting over there (Army Combat Arms and Marine equivalent). They never got the Burger King et al.

March 25, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Teresa

Crap. That's right - Crap. If the government can not afford the few 'elements from home' for the troops then where are all of the corporations that 'support our troops'.

Let us get McD and BK and Pizza Hut and DK and even Wendy's to bring in their own staff and supplies. This will make jobs for more Americans AND give some comfort and support to our troops.

I am a MOM (hoo-rah) and if my child was currently in harms way I would want every possible comfort. I know there will not be fast food and movies on the front lines but when they get a few days of R&R – let it be R&R!!

March 25, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  79. bradley s gelder

I saw the headline and thought it was a health decisionl. We're not doing anyone a favor feeding them Whoppers or DQ sundaes.

March 25, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Darren

I would understand removing them from the bases if the taxpayers were footing the bill, but we don't get to eat at these restuarants for free. They are run by AAFES and we have to pay to use them. I've been over there 3 times already in 4 years and it is nice to have something from home.

March 25, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Mike M

Wow, and it's command decisions like this that made me get out of the military. I know first hand what it's like to be out there, working 12+ hour shifts, getting shot at and rocketed on a daily basis, being away from my family and friends. It's the little things that get you through the day. Taking these "Luxuries" away is the worst thing that can be done, morale is already at an all time low. I'm disgusted at most of the comments on here, I understand that we volunteered for the military but that doesn't mean that we should have to live like scum when we deploy. I don't get it, we're out there doing what 95% of "Americans" don't want to do and then we get a slap in the face like this. I truly feel sorry for all my friends who are out there or will be out there, the military is broken just like most of this country. Hopefully one day we'll get some true leaders who know what the hell they are doing.

March 25, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Tanner

Not the whoppers...

March 25, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Tracey

Amazing. I am a retired Officer who has seen both conflicts. If the logistical problem is so large that having storage for hamburgers affects the amount of ammo for the forward troops, the XO at the Division Level needs to be fired. Your logistics folks have pissed away all of the training and senior officials, including you CSM, need to be re-evaluated. Troop morale is essential in that type of environment. Of course, many units are not in a position to take advantage of the extras, but cut the entire force off from the extras, then we are in a logistical position that is so bad, it is time to figure out how to get enough gas to get the hell out of dodge. Gentlemen, you greatly disappoint me as my daughter is currently preparing to enter the military academy. I hope she gets there quick enough to save you guys.

March 25, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  84. LT

In response to the earlier comment by Ray Clark... EVERYONE who is in the military volunteered to be there. When you sign the dotted line you sign up knowing you may go to places you dont want to go to and that war is a possibility. Joining the military is dedicating yourself to serve your country, whether or not you agree witht the decisions and orders your superiors make. Going to war shouldn't be a shocker for service men and women, thats the business they joined up for! It would be nice to know what they are going to do to keep morale from dropping after this though...

March 25, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Sean Kazmierczak

I was in Iraq in the Spring and Summer 2004, working out of Al Taqaddum airbase as a Military Policeman.

TQ is a cozy place, but when I was there it didnt have anything but a regular chow place.

As a Military Policeman I drove around thousands of miles through Al-Anbar province through Ramada, Fallujah, Hit, Haditha, Rutbah, Baghdad....the few times we got to stop at Baghdad International Airport (BIAP) and grab a cold whopper from BK it propped by morale up so high it wasnt even funny. It had no effect on our combat effectiveness whatsoever and really cheered us up to eat one after getting mortars lobbed at us and pot shots when we drive around.

Should be able to keep the stuff...I know all the paper pushers and pay people and what not that never leave the wire might abuse the stuff, but the military that actually leave the wire and put their lives in the line could use some of this stuff theyre getting rid of, brings a little dose of civilization when its sorely needed.

March 25, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  86. over9000

only in America people will complain about getting spoiled when its taken away
    they don't need it my grandfather was in WWII and they got ration packs with food water and cigarettes he would be appalled

March 25, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Ryan

Makes sense, this food will just make our soldiers fat and sleepy. Send them real food at least, not processed crap.

March 25, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  88. GrammaRock

You people need to learn the difference between moral and morale k thx

March 25, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  89. jdontom

We treat our death row inmates here in California better than our fighting forces.......Geeeesh

March 25, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Justin

Based on what my friends have stated since coming back from Afghanistan, these type of "luxuries" don't even touch the real people fighting. These luxuries end up being used by people who stay on the base all the time anyway. The people who are out in the field for days straight never get to enjoy things like movies and USO tour events. Usually the people like cooks, etc are the ones enjoying this stuff and not putting their lives on the line on a daily basis.
    Don't get me wrong, anyone over there is a hero in my eyes, but I would rather my tax dollars go to the people out in harms way so they have enough MRE's, water, ammunition, and body armor, or and of course any marines best friend, the all might REDBULL!!
    This is a great decision by the military brass.

March 25, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Deployed

Why stop at BK in Afghanistan? Why not shut them all down in the AOR and go ahead and shut down the dining facilities and start handing out MREs to everyone. They can enjoy them with a hot cup of flavored coffee.

March 25, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Alan

Great, first we extend our troops tours then cut back on the kinds of things that can help ease the long deployments. What else can we do to crap all over them? 😦

March 25, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  93. David B

Like most have stated before, "If you thin morale is low now, just wait"...
    The little "luxury" that is being some fast food is just wat the Troops, Marines, Airmen and Navy members look forward to. More space for fitness and internet cafes...Cross fit training involves tires, chains, ropes, water cans...everything there is plenty of laying around on any given base. No need to take away a little slice of happiness to improve something else. It should not have to be compromised. Its not one or the other, they should be given both. Yes they raised their hands to join. But we asked them to go overseas. Gave those before them the opprotuinty to have a little down time with shomething they are used to back on the home front, and then just as you see the morale improve and plateau out, BAM, AS Emeril would say, SHOT DOWN!!!!

March 25, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Dominie

This has got to be one of the best command decisions made in quite awhile. I have done 3 tours in Iraq and each time I return I see more and more Support personell that do nothing but get paid to hang out at BK for 12-15 months and see how much weight they can gain. I absolutely love watching this after 3-5 days off the FOB (base). I am a big fan of air conditioning, but when deployment gets more cush than home there is something wrong. Lazyiness leads to carelessness, which leads to being a soft easy target. Kudo's to the Theatre Commander and every one else that made the decision to treat Soldiers like Soldiers, not like kids at fat camp.

March 25, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Sad Again

Wow, nothing says moral like misery! If you can't get supplies to forward troups, insn't that more of a logistic problem. I agree with other postings...another upper officer with numerious comforts trying to earn a new star! Heck I'd send cigaretts and hookers if that's what those kids wanted. Yup ban the burgers and shakes and win the war.

March 25, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  96. chock

It is about time. Having that kind of luxuries in a war zone sends the wrong message to the impoverished people we are supposed to be helping and diverts resources to getting the job done and getting the ____ out of their country.
    We did not have these kinds of brand name Americanization luxuries in Viet Nam and what we did have only served to make the Viet Cong’s political case for them.

March 25, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  97. LB, an OIF Vet

And "John"–we all volunteered to die for our country when we joined the military. Do you think we all should? Then why then can't we have a burger just because we are there?

March 25, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Mary

I come from a multi-generational family whose grandfather – uncles -brothers and nephews have all served for their country. Unfortunately I never had the guts to enlist (even though women at the time could only basically be a nurse) I would gladly give all the whoppers and movies I could afford to those serving us so unselfishly. Some enlistee families return to poverty levels and even have to apply for food stamps to support thier families WHILE in service. To think these simple items could provide a "taste of home" for those defending our country is such a small price to pay ... I say take away the private helath clubs and other perks of the DC politicians to pay for it.

March 25, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Charles

It is what it is, soldiers in combat I'm retired Military and yes some duty stations have Mcdonalds and other accomodations, People please dont get caught up in a move such as Dq or any other "luxury" as some has put it. It is a war zone it is the military, yes they are our troops fighting and voluntarly I might add, No one has been drafted that I know of. Stop whining and crying our troops will prevail they will have victory. Remember it is the Military not HOME. Once they make it back home they will be proud that they served to the best of their ability, those that parished did not die in vain. So do make it seem as though all hope is lost because of some possibly needed command decisions. I'm not there commanding the battle group and niether are you.

March 25, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Jerry

This is one of the worst choices that anyone can make as I was a soldier for 13 years and just got back form Iraq where I was a civilian for 6 years and am getting ready to head out to Afghanistan in the next month. I was on some bases over in Iraq where we had no fast food places to eat and you just deal with it because you usually end up at one of the bigger bases while you are over there and the first place you head to is BK because you want some good old american junk food. When I was on a big base for a few years over there I got sick of BK and stayed away from it so really do not think it is good to take this away because this can really lower morale. I understand it is a war zone but is this going to stop the mission not at all and as log as the people are passing there PT test let them have a Whopper when they come thru to one of the big bases coming and going out for R+R.

March 25, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |