March 18th, 2010

'Shaming' her in-laws costs 19 year old her nose, ears

"When they cut off my nose and ears, I passed out," 19-year-old Bibi Aisha of Afghanistan says with chilling candor.

Her beauty is still stunning and her confidence inspiring. It takes a moment for the barbaric act committed against her to register in your mind and sight.

Wearing her patterned scarf and with roughly painted nails she shares her story.

"It felt like there was cold water in my nose, I opened my eyes and I couldn't even see because of all the blood," she remembers.

It was an act of Taliban justice for the crime of shaming her husband's family.

This story began when Aisha was just 8 years old.

Her father had promised her hand in marriage, along with that of her baby sister's, to another family in a practice called "baad."

"Baad" in Pashtunwali, the law of the Pashtuns, is a way to settle a dispute between rival families.

At 16, she was handed over to her husband's father and 10 brothers, who she claims were all members of the Taliban in Oruzgan province. Aisha didn't even meet her husband because he was off fighting in Pakistan.

"I spent two years with them and became a prisoner," she says. (Watch more of the interview with Aisha)

Tortured and abused, she couldn't take it any longer and decided to run away. Two female neighbors promising to help took her to Kandahar province.

But this was just another act of deception.

When they arrived to Kandahar her female companions tried to sell Aisha to another man.

All three women were stopped by the police and imprisoned. Aisha was locked up because she was a runaway. And although running away is not a crime, in places throughout Afghanistan it is treated as one if you are a woman.

A three-year sentence was reduced to five months when President Hamid Karzai pardoned Aisha. But eventually her father-in-law found her and took her back home.

That was the first time she met her husband. He came home from Pakistan to take her to Taliban court for dishonoring his family and bringing them shame.

The court ruled that her nose and ears must be cut off. An act carried out by her husband in the mountains of Oruzgan where they left her to die.

But she survived.

And with the help of an American Provincial Reconstruction Team in Oruzgan and the organization Women for Afghan Women (WAW), she is finally getting the help and protection she needs.

Offers have been pouring in to help Aisha, but there are many more women suffering in silence.

The United Nations estimates that nearly 90 percent of Afghanistan's women suffer from some sort of domestic abuse. This in a country where there are only about eight women's shelters to provide sanctuary from the cruelty they face. And all of the eight are privately run.

"Bibi Aisha is only one example of thousands of girls and women in Afghanistan and throughout the world who are treated this way - who suffer abuses like this, like this and worse," says board member for WAW, Esther Hyneman.

In 2001, the situation of Afghan women and Taliban brutality received plenty of attention. Now organizations like WAW say the international community is strangely silent on the issue.

Hyneman says not enough is being done to help the women in Afghanistan and that feeds into the hands of the insurgency.

"When you have ... 50 percent of a population on their knees, it's very easy for extremists, tyrants to take over a country," she adds. "They have a ready-made enslaved population."

Aisha is reminded of that enslavement every time she looks in the mirror.

But there still times she can laugh. And at that moment you see her teenage spirit escaping a body that has seen a lifetime of injustice.

- This story is part of CNN's Impact Your World project.

1. David Max

What sort of creature condones this behavior?

August 13, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. David

My question is why does all the time such barbarism is only seen from Muslims and not from other religions. It seems looking and reading there must be so much hatred muslims have for people who are not muslims and not following muslim customs even by the their own folks. At the end muslims never helped the girl. The other religion did and of course not muslim physicians.

August 10, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mike

If this is Ala's will, has his approval or simply condones it, then society does not need him or his followers. Shame on you Islam! This is your mess to clean up! Centuries of unfair treatment of women, also Ala's children, has given birth to the Taliban.

August 10, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aubrey

Nobody should be talking about "Children of Allah do this". The only three monotheistic religions, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, all share characteristics. Jesus of Nazareth was Jewish; he was the Son of God. Muhammad was a merchant. He didn't highly of the religion of his tribe. Because of associating with many monotheistic peoples he founded Islam. Those ideas came from both Christianity and Judaism.
      Even you don't believe Allah, God, and Yahweh are the same one God, they do share similarities. All three religions do have Abraham as an ancestor. Please, do not be so ignorant about the unknown.
      I'm a 15 year old Christian in the US.

October 12, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
      • Aubrey

*didn't think highly. Sorry.
        And also for many years Christians have murdered Christians. Have you ever heard of the Crusades? Why do you think there are so many different forms of Christianity. At one point, people killed neighbors because they were Protestant and his neighbors were Catholic.
        Do you really not recall when women couldn't vote. It was only a hundred years ago. Or when the colonies had slaves? Not just Muslims have been genderally* or racially unequal. America is a very young country. We know things and have come a long way. The Middle East holds the oldest civilizations. When people are set in their ways, they do not want to see the better parts of anything else. Even China holds men to a higher status. Baby girls are murdered – even though it's illegal. But if a pillow falls on a baby's face and they suffocate... Please, read a little more history on the world. And even times of today.

October 12, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Heather

As sad as this story is, it is not justification for keeping troops in Afghanistan. This happened on our watch! War is not going to solve the root issues, which are poverty, inequality, and just plain ignorance. Address those problems, and maybe Afghanistan will become a productive society. Until then, it's one of the worst places on earth and I feel for every woman that is stuck there.

August 7, 2010 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. mr. mark

If anyone needed proof why we have to stay in Afghanistan and send every last Talib to meet their maker – here it is. Absolutely shameful. Her husband and the leaders who signed off on this deserve a nice, shiny cruise missile filled with napalm.

August 6, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  6. Caroline Leary

Those barbaric backward stoneaged monsters should be nuked off the face of the earth. I have no respect for such Cromagnon behavior!

August 5, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. WhatGODwants

These people are wrong, like a lot of other places in the world. Believe it or not when we show them how we are a lot of those people want to come here but can't so they hate us for showing them the light and taking it away. But instead of fixing their own country they poin the finger at us and thus Islam isn't to blame, the idiots using any religion or any flag as a shield for their actions. Lets see if a book can stop a bullet. Better yet, a nuke. KILL THEM ALL

August 5, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. E.P.

I'd still hit it.

August 5, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • WhatGODwants

Damn straight, I bet she can really deep throat now her nose isn't in the way 🙂

August 5, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Then you are equally heartless EP. The Taliban already "hit" her enough. Would you say the same if she was your sister, mother or daughter?

August 10, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Unknown

I'd like to hit you.

December 26, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. saudi girl

This fanatic islam is a SHAME. I feel so sorry for this lady and honestly most women living in the middle east. I am a saudi young woman...I have stable rich life and many educaitonal chances and lots of moeny but I lack the most importnat thing: FREEDOM. I don't wear what I want...I don't walk talk or live in any way I want. men have all the say and we have no say but follow. We are much like the afghanis but only difference is that we got cash.

I am sick and tired of people saying this is not islam...tell me then why are you not practicing the good islam? why are you taking more than one wife and making all women feel threatned ..scared and worried that their marriage lives will come crashing as their husband bring a lady to share his bed and money. why are you telling women to marry whom ever you like but she has no say in choosing her mate. why can\t she travel whenever she likes and why can\t stay at a hotel or rent apartment unless she has a male or a male approval ..why she can't own a property and manage it as she wishes like men ..why do you ask her to always has a male to take care of her bussiness. why are you telling us to cover our face and walk behind your asses. many many whys....no decent life for muslim women.

I am so very sorry for you Aisha. I wish from the botton of my heart that you fix your deformaties and find a man who loves you for you. Try to find a NON AFGHANI MAN...

August 5, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Mohammad

Your comment brought tears in my eyes ,unfortunatley ture muslims are rare in the itime ,where is the time when a woman called for help from mu3tasem and he lanuch a whole war for her life and dignity ,we don't deserve this great religion i swear ..

August 5, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • saudi girl

I can't find this sweet islam you are describing. Culture is ruling and no one is standing up to it. thank you so much for your words.

August 7, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • mermaid

My heart is sorry for you Saudi Girl. Freedom is a precious gift that most of the free world takes for granted. It is nice having the feeling of being free, but don't kid yourself...none of us is truly free. I am from America and all day long I hear statements like "I have rights". Actually, no one is born with rights, especially in this day and time. We are given rights by the government we live under and they can take those rights away simply by passing of legislation (ex: Iran and Venezuela). Keep heart and stay strong.

. I agree that money cannot by happiness.

August 7, 2010 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
      • saudi girl

Thank you so much, Mermaid for your lovely comforting words. I agree freedom is by in large relative but I also know that we ought to ask for it no matter what. In my country people do not follow cultural change as quickly as needed. So, anything new is precieved threatening.
        I have been to the US. It is the best place. I wish you all the best.

August 7, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Jemal

Saudi girl, I felt sorry with what i have read on your commnet on Aishia case, i am surprised that why you are trying to decive the readers of the commnt, here Ayshia case is different from what you have described , if you are relay wanting freedom, it is only in islam you will get it. have't you heard a hadith that femels were burried alive but islam abolished this , a war broke out because a women was attcaked on the way and of course you are seeing everything with westren eyeglass and that is why you are confused with the principles of those legislation in islam, don't see the present muslim rullres of your country , may be you have to go back to the origional source of quran and hadith and ask why that is so.. . then you will understand the wisdom behind. none of the cases you have mentioned are not meant for heping men over women. pls i a advice you to clearly understand the principles. regarding the Ayshia , ofcousre it is very dsigusting to see such picture, let alone on face ,even if it were on the other parts , don't blame islam with the wrong doings of the people , have you herad any thing similar on the prohet time ? Always the media is trying to show as if everything is related to islam.
      Thanks

August 9, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  10. Ryan

We are obviously not killing enough ragheads. I suggest we nuke Pakistan and Afghanistan, Iran then worry about the consequences later.

My heart goes to this young girl. She does not deserve any pain at all. Children should be protected all the time.

August 5, 2010 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Amrullah Yousafzai, Margalla Hills

If you nuke Pakistan, we will nuke you back. Even if you do take out Iran, Afghanistan, and Pakistan, using even one nuke can create atmospheric differences and increased cancer risks in some form for people as far eastward as Hawaii, not to mention that China is within that distance.

People like you should be barred from holding public office for you unimaginable lunacy.

August 8, 2010 at 5:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Victoria

Really.... really.... Ryan. Your comment makes you sound like the weird kid sitting in the back of the classroom eating glue. If you cannot handle a conversation with grown people then you shouldn't be leaving comments in the first place. This is a harrowing tragic situation. If you were not the Tin Man then you would have seen that. Using a racist term like that is a terrible way to start any debate or topic. It also shows your true face, as a person that cannot be trusted or taken seriously. That is shame because I am sure your family raised you better then that.

December 13, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sho-me-girl

First i want to say this is the nastiest group of people on the planet, their "god" is Satan! This is why they behave this way! There will be punishment for them in the end when they stand before God Almighty in judgement and their fate will be far worse than that of the woman. Until then there must be something done. I recommend that our military draw a line in the sand and say if your on the right side step over, if your into slaughtering your people, strapping bombs to them stay on that side of the line and we will send you on your way OUT! I would hold on to my seat people because it is in our country now, oh, but I forgot this is supposed to bring us all close together said one New Yorker....
    As for the person who posted about the womens rights on abortion. I can't see where that is even a topic. It isn't a woman's right, that baby didn't ask to be concieved and there are a bunch of people in this country who would love to adopt a baby. Did the baby choose to be killed?? I think this as a method of birth control is sick, sick, sick, and is as bad as what the taliban did to this poor girl. For the person who said that Jesus word was changed over and over.....I would like to know where that came from, my KJV is the same for 100s of years. God is Great, Jesus loves me, and praise God he is coming back soon. These are the signs of the times and YOU BET I am a bible believer Christian and proud of it!!!!

August 3, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. PassingThru

I hope those involved get wind of this thread:

"That was the first time she met her husband. He came home from Pakistan to take her to Taliban court for dishonoring his family and bringing them shame" Ur religion, culture, so be it, but you are whack jobs. You disgrace yourself in the eyes of the world. Torturing others to make yourself feel better. Good job, not!

August 2, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Johnichen George, Kanjirappally

Down with Taliban rule over Afgan. World condemns over such brutality against human rights.

July 24, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. windsorcat

see no evil!!!!!!!!!!

July 9, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mark 5

This article made me cry. And it makes me angry. If I was young enough I would enlist in the army to go there and fight these barbarians to save these poor women and children. Anyone cruel enough to cut off an innocent childs nose and ears does not deserve to live. The entire free world should descend upon Afghansistan and wipe out the Taliban once and for all. Or we should allow all the women and children to immgrate and leave all the barbarian males to fight and kill each other.

July 1, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Susan

The Old Testament is also full of barbaric acts. However I believe that was the culture during the time the Bible was being written. It mustn't be associated with religion otherwise cultures will never grow, mature, or learn from past mistakes. That's probably why the Taliban is still living in the stone age.

June 23, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  17. makmaster

I just want to say that this is the most disgusting act that was done to this poor girl. However, there will be many to blame religion, just want to clarify that this has nothing to do with religion. The area where this girl is from has its own cultural rules that they apply. Its horrifying to see that these things actually happen, clearly those men are not men rather cowards how impose their jurisdiction on those who are weak and helpless. Nonetheless a filthy act.

June 13, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  18. dp1053

How on earth can you even begin to deal with a country that is 2000 years behind the rest of the world. These "men" are so afraid of women, it's pathetic.

June 11, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Kate

These girls are denied an education and treated like chattel. Why are grown men so afraid of little girls that they burn down their schools, sell them off in marriage, and beat and disfigure them? "Honor crimes" are about men not losing face among other men. Apparently, girls and women are a powerful threat to male status. How very sad and barbaric.

June 11, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  20. jan

And these are the people we are letting into our country to bring this evil here? It is a slow poison and will soon be happening in our country if they are not stopped.

June 11, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Denise

This is barbaric. The Taliban and other overly-religious, backwards moronic men like them are a total joke. I hope she gets the care she needs.

Thank you for the article. It is amazing.

June 11, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  22. tina

how could a judge order this. instead of spending money fighting get rid of the power and put normal people in

June 11, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  23. Scott

Religious practice, of any faith, has no place in our government. I am thankful that we live in a country that does not compel religious observance. You will find no such tolerance among many Islamic countries. Religious fundamentalism, as history has shown us, is often irrational, barbaric and lethal. Even the so-called tolerant religions, such as christianity, treat women as second class citizens. (1 Tim 2:9-15, Eph 5:22, Col 3:18) Islam, in particular, must not be allowed to subjucate by force. It is by far the most backward, intolerant, and violent religion on this planet.

May 25, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  24. ASAUM

There are some that see future events. I will say no more. This man and his family will suffer a complete loss of their foolish pride and prejudice, worldly possessions, family members and ALL that is considered of importance to them. They will fall to their knees and beg forgiveness which will fall on deaf ears of their creator. Atrocities committed
    against nature or the natural world go neither un-noticed or un-punished.

May 25, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  25. abs

I strongly feel that Aisha's husband's family should be severely punished. This is serious injustice; I'm shocked even the court orders such inhuman punishments. Firstly, she wasn't even at fault, and secondly if she really needed to be punished by the unreasonable Taliban, she shouldn't have been sentenced such a brutal one. I mean why are only women wrong in Afghanistan??? In EVERY case I've heard of or read about in Afghanistan, it has ALWAYS been the man's fault. I don't think Islam is to blame for this; it's MEN in Afghanistan!!

May 19, 2010 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  26. pomswa

More of these horrific practices go on in other countries than we can imagine living in the United States of America. Thank God! Really – THANK GOD!
    We need to protect our Christian American values so this type of inacceptable law can never happen here. I read a post that said it is why we need separation of church and state – and I could not disagree more. To me it is exactly why we need to NOT have a separation of church and state!
    The ONLY reason we have the rights, freedom, and protection under law that we do is because this country was founded on Christian principles and laws by our fore fathers. Refer to our constitution, read the Gettysburg address, think about the words in our Pledge of Allegience, read ALL four verses of our National Anthem – not just the first verse and think about what they mean. The fourth verse says: "Blessed with victory and Peace, may this HEAVEN RESCUED LAND Praise the Power (god) that has made and preserved us a nation. And conquor we must- when our cause it is just – and this be our motto 'IN GOD IS OUR TRUST', and the Star Spangled Banner in triumph SHALL wave o'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!" Yes!
    WE ARE A CHRISTIAN NATION – that is why we have been blessed with the freedoms we enjoy, and we must not forget it. If we do not honor God and if we choose to leave Him out of our country, he will no longer honor and bless this country. Without our freedoms these horrible practices could become part of our world too. Thanks to and God Bless the US Military who fight to keep our freedoms, and GOD BLESS the USA!!

April 23, 2010 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |
  27. Sam Collins

Bless the person inside for the life they need. I condemn disfigurement of anyone. Even faiths in conflict have a peaceful disagreement that is possible. As a Chrisitian, if I were to disfigure myself, it wopuld be because of my desire to be acceptable to God. I don't think that's the point, but the severity of God's judgment against lawlessness is what I think that is all about and where our fear is placed. Long live.

April 11, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Bagong

I live in a Moslem dominated population. Fortunately, the Moslem in my place is dominated by the local culture which is quite different to the one in Middle East and Pakistan. This kind of barbaric act will never happen in my place, but without a constant watch I would say it is easy to digress into what is believe to be correct by the Moslem.
    This kind of Barbaric act has nothing to do with Moslem, but it has all the element of Arab culture in it. The Arab culture put very little value in women and using the religion as a cover for the atrocities they have done to everything. The Western countries should realize this and stop helping those people in the Middle East. Let them kill each other and be done with it.

April 8, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  29. dakota

I think that she should get a free ride to a college and be sent to america

April 1, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Sara

The taliban should all suffer for waht they do. But this has nothing to do with the muslim religion. islam is all about peace all of this stuff is considered a major sin. Just becase the taliban are extrimist and do not know what the hell theya re doing doesnt give anyone a right to point fingers at islam.

March 30, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fred

I don't have a problem with any religion, but it bothers me that people claims Islam a peaceful religion but unfortunatly I don't see any muslim nation at peace. Why is that? To win this war in Afghanistan we need to be the wolves not the sheeps, play offensive not defensive.

May 20, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  31. susan

this is not a religious based attack. this is the taliban and they are extrimists and thats all. people like the taliban should suffer. but do not bring religion into this. they are just ruining the muslim name. and the taliban should all suffer.

March 30, 2010 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  32. zack

The taliban are evil people that should be erased from everyones mind some of the horrible things they do, there are some bad people in the world especially the people who abuse there wives!
    zack-11

March 30, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Susan

Seeing this story truly made me angry and sick. I am muslim, but I could never, ever condone such actions. Personally, if I had the power, I would create a prison ran only by women (doesn't matter what their nationality is though some Afghan women should participate). They should send all the taliban and cruel men to this prison for their punishment. Aside from whatever the female gaurds chose to do to these taliban prisoners, they should be forced to watch movies and programs where women are treated with respect. They should even watch the movies where women look tough. These movies should be played all day every day so they can't miss them (of course they will be translated for them). These men should spend many years in this prison being reformed by the all female gaurds and workers. I could go on, but I think you get my point. We can't change their thinking in a day, but years of torture by women might help!

March 29, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Michael

This is exactly the kind of pathetic action, spawned by religious belief that humankind has evolved enough to shed – not that many of us ever needed it in the first place! Whether the rape, incest and murder promoting bible or the various other immoral acts from the self-proclaimed 'moral' religions, it is time for people to stop ignoring the evidence and to stop believing everything the disgusting media spoon-feeds them! Pick up a book (one based on truth, not a religious book) and educate yourselves! Either that or we'll just have to let NATURAL SELECTION weedle you out for your weak minds! Ha-ha!

March 26, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Idiots

Could you idiots please stop tarring all religions with the bloody brush of Islam? There is nothing in the Christ's doctrine that condones the mutilation of a wife's face, there is no test for dishonoring in-laws in Buddhism, there is no call for dead infidels in Hinduism. Why not reign-in your own cowardice and immorality and condemn Islam because Islam is cowardly and immoral?

March 25, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  36. evansusmc

TO ALL THAT SAY THIS HAS "Nothing to do with Islam or religion" How about telling the whole country of Afghanistan that!!! Because they think it does. (among many other middle-eastern countries)

It does no good to say "Islam is not to blame" when its only said by 2% of the islamic population. Not to mention its always the 2% that will never put themselves in a position to do correct it.

March 25, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  37. haider

To the world from Pakistan: These taliban are the filthiest and shameless creatures on the face of this planet with no regard for human life what so ever. Its a shame that these brutal animals associate themselves with a noble religion like islam. These taliban are nothing but a bunch of diehard criminals, morally and ideologically corrput and crooks. They and their mullahs are the biggest enemies of islam and Muslims.

March 25, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Nathanael [desert voice]

For those who say that these atrocities have nothing to do with Islam I remind that, in 2,000, Bello Jangebe's right hand was amputated for stealing in Nigeria by an Islamic Court. Jangebe's hand was cut off after he was convicted of stealing a cow, To this day, the authorities in Nigeria ban any public discussion of this case on the Internet. Why? Are they afraid that someone might question the validity of the Sharia Law? Is this law Islamic, or is it not? If it is, then there is something wrong with Islam! For no peaceful and humane religion should condone such atrocities!

March 25, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Sean

Its amazing that people will go to thease lengths. As much as i dispize and feel like we should do the same to him, I don't think we should (Two rights don't make a wrong ).
    No one deserves this, Im only 16 and i can think in other peoples perspective. Thease extreamest think their doing the right thing but truthfully its like saying "I prayed for a bike but i didnt get one, so i stole one and prayed for forgivness"
    Hopefully they will evolve and relize what their doing and we/or themselfs, can give their future children an edecutation.

P.S feel free to comment on my bad spelling

March 25, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  40. Lev from the Philippines

how can these people's practices be stopped? do we need another Holocaust??? If it needs be...

March 25, 2010 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  41. Anyta

For "Free"
    If as a muslim woman you have any compassion or empathy for this young girl who has been so barbarically treated, instead of being defensive, please take some action which at least makes people of yes, your religious tradition aware of and speaks out against this inhuman atrocity.

March 25, 2010 at 4:18 am | Report abuse |
  42. YMC

According to Germaine Greer and all the leftist feminists in the West, we should negotiate with people who like to torture Afghan women.

March 24, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Momieux

This story brings to light many issues. Foremost is that religion should never be allowed to dictate law, nor should religious belief be accepted as a defense. It is not Islam that is at fault here. It is their belief that Islam condones such practices and that an Islamic cleric has the right to approve such an action.
    Secular education is key. This allows a population to develop and free itself of archaic thought and custom. Tribal law and social organization was a stepping stone. The majority of the Worlds cultures have evolved beyond it. The belief that the human female is the property of the human male has also been abandoned by most of the World, where this is not so: atrocities such as this may continue to occur.
    It should be mentioned that our Government supported the Taliban with weapons and money in it's dispute with the U.S.S.R.. That allowed the Taliban to recruit and grow in numbers. Now it is out of control . We bear some responsibility. I, as a flag waving deeply God fearing American, hope we can provide some productive solutions.
    Momieux

March 24, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  44. L.Baksh

This type of behavior is absolutely despicable. Women are not bewitched and they are not property to be owned. To believe that a man can do as he pleases (no matter what the behavior) and a women would have to pay for the mans behavior is idiotic and speaks volumes of the people who share in these beliefs.

For example: a man rapes a woman and his behavior is forgiven/pardoned because "he must have been possessed by the Gods" and the woman to be arrested, take lashings, acid burnings, beatings, mutilations and death is SICK!!!

All who practice these beliefs and all who stand by watching and doing nothing bring SHAME to your family, your country and GOD!!

March 24, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Bruno

These people are really sick, no human being should 'belong' or 'use as an object' to another human.
    Who do they think they are?

March 24, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Free

I'm a Muslim woman and I'm reading these comments that are so far from the truth. Islam has liberated woman we are not oppressed. This is a cultural act. Pick up the Quran and read for yourself. You will never find that is says to treat women this way. Don't criticize the our way of life without viewing the whole picture. Also why is that when something happens to a Muslim women from cultural or gang related practices people come down on the whole religion. I never see when other crimes are committed right her in America that are extreme. Never do I hear people come down on all Cristians,Jews,Catholics,Budist etc. That person is prosecuted all by them self’s like they should. Although, when a crime is committed by a Muslim (failing to practice correctly according the Sunni and Sarah Laws) the whole religion is at fault. Sounds hypocritical to me.

March 24, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  47. LH

Islam did not call for this kind of treatment. Anyone that believes this is "Islamic" really needs to start reading up. These actions are cultural (and still wrong) and if they dare call this so-called "justice" as Islamic, then they are doing a huge disservice to the image of Islam. These cowards are just that, cowards. There is no room for this in Islam, and the Prophet Muhammad would have never allowed for such injustice. As some people have mentioned here, in regions where there is extreme poverty, you'll find just about anything. One day these criminals will have to face the Creator, for misrepresenting Muslims and for carrying out these horrific actions.

March 24, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Garcia's class

My class and i just read and watched Aisha's plight and were appalled that she had her nose and ears cut off for being a prisoner of her husbands family. We were also talking about the importance of respecting the opinion of others but it was very hard to do when we read some of the comments that others have made. Some called afghani's animals and others said that we should take care of our own before helping others. Either way we are glad that others are taking the initiative to help others that are in need.

March 24, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  49. jsa

It is wrong to judge the entirety of Islam based upon this incident. This act was perpetuated by members of the fundamentalist extremist Taliban. To judge Islam by the acts of the Taliban is like marking all Christians based upon the actions of violent extremist fundamentalists of that religion. We really need to think about these things before we paint everyone with such broad and irrational strokes.

March 23, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Hatim Kader

Only Miss DC Made comments that makes any sense in this very upsetting story. If any body thinks that this is "Islamic justice" needs to educate themselves. Please do not even for one moment suggest that this has anything to do with religion. The people who do such things are not human beings let alone Muslims. The level of ignorance displayed by the vast majority of Americans about countries they have any dealings with in what ever form is astonishing. To say that this barbaric act has anything to do with Religion, is just one example of that ignorance. That same level of ignorance is what caused this woman to suffer.

HK London, England

March 23, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  51. saints

It really makes no since, we have all these killings going on in The United States but yet we focused on killings outside our state. The president need to do his part that's why we voted for him.Where am at there are killings everyday but they are not all over the news this lady was just really lucky she didn't die. . . . we need to be worrying about the USA

March 23, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  52. al epidendio

Anyone who treats a fellow human with such disdain, should have the same performed on them. In the case of this young lady, He should not only lose his ears and nose, but his manhood as well. Perhaps you could also remove his hands and arms. This way he could harm no other person. Basically rendering him into third base.

March 23, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  53. One Solution

There really is only one solution to this problem: genocide. We should finally admit that Islam will never be anything but antithetical to freedom, humanity, intelligence or anything that the West stands for and use our nuclear arsenal to make ALL of Afghanistan, Taliban occupied Pakistan, and eventually Saudi Arabia and Iran into an uninhabitable wasteland.

Nothing else is going to stop these parasites. Saudi Arabia will continue to spend hundreds of billions of dollars promoting Wahabiism and the WEST will continue to pay them to do it. Until we recognize what we're really fighting, this behavior will increase until it's everywhere.

March 23, 2010 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  54. laffitoff

Can anyone offer her some reconstructive surgery, like Operation Smile does? This is terrible.

March 22, 2010 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • AmeriCanadian

That's what I was wondering, though noseless, no pig-men three times her age will probably want to marry her, eh?

June 11, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  55. John Ramsden

When I hear of this kind of barbaric behaviour, I wonder what God must think of us? In some way, we are all repsonsible as this type of treatment continues around the world. The judge, relatives, and anyone who was witness to this action, must surely be held accountable. May God forgive us all.
    The abuse even reaches into our society ,as acts of violence escalate and we witnes the Islamic negative influence permeate our land.

March 22, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Pandora

What has this world come to? It's one thing for the Muslims and other Middle Easterns to be angry at the US, but taking it out on innocent women? That is utterly uncivilized, and improperly targeted. There is also something to be said for: WWII? Patriotism at it highest? Anyone remember? Oh, those were the times... Did Muslim terrorists even exist back then?

March 22, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  57. mingo the outlaw

I think we should only use arial attacks on the taliban and the hell with the innocent peoiple that hangs around with them. If these innocent people are so innocent why are they hanging around with people like like taliban. Save ground troops lives and bomb the hell out of them. Lets get the job done quicker

March 22, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  58. sam

To all the Muslims who try to defend Islam on this site. I have lived in different Muslim countries and everywhere I have seen parents forcing there girls either to marry at 10, beat them up because they laugh in the street, there were beaten up if their hijjab was not proper, they circumsied the girls when only 6 years old, they were beaten if they talked to a male, they were forced in to marriage against their wishes and in a case the voice of another woman was used instead of the bride for agreeing to marriage, in another instance a friend of mine was under house arrest for 4 months because she did not like the chosen husband.
    I have seen cruelty in Islam . everywhere it is as if it is ingrained in their culture all over the world.
    No matter which country they live in they cheat, stead, mislead, abuse, and lie the government, and the society for their own selfish purpose.

I agree there are these kind of thugs all over the world and amongst all the religion But i have never seen a savage law and backward thinking in the world. Except if you go deep in the Amazons and pygmies in Africa but then they have an excuse, they have no law to follow. But Islam claims that these laws are for the world to follow!!! I think Muhammed failed at educating these savage people with sward.

March 22, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Islam?

I don't understand this, in a Islamic country, when a man commits a heinous crime, it is the religion. When a priest molests a child it is the priest never the religion.
    How intellectually backward, hypocritical and gullible we are, when you take these crimes as If Islam is sanctioning these crimes. What if I tell you Christian is a evil religion because they kidnap 11 year old girls, rape them and keep them captives for 18 years.
    Come on you people, you cannot hold an institution with billions of followers, scholars, scientist, doctors, engineers and common man hold accountable for the crime of individuals. A lot of patriarchal societies treat women as animals or worst, although they became Muslims but they stick to their old backward ways.
    The crime against this girl and thousands of other girls are crime against humanity. Criminal elements should be brought to justice and funds should be used for such programs not for supporting the Taliban than killing the Taliban..., Our Tax money was used to create this monster in the first place which has killed hundreds of thousands of people.

March 22, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  60. cece

He was NOT a husband. He was a soldier turned animal that attacked an innocent girl who waited for him for 2 years. He should be beheaded.

March 22, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  61. cece

Where is the plastic surgeon without borders to help this girl and make mockery of the Taliban? Shame on the plastic surgeons the world over that did not come to her aid or offer her a new life. Shame.

March 22, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  62. pistof

There is nothing that anyone can say in defense of this that justifies it. Cultural or not, this is just sub-human to treat a young woman like that for trying to get away from you. That poor girl. Disfigured for life because she tried to escape from a slave lifestyle.

March 22, 2010 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Louis

God will judge and condemn this evil act.

March 22, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Randy Sexton

Yet another story and another reason why there can never be, nor should there be, any type of negotiations with this barbaric culture! This should NEVER be condoned by any civilized culture, including the U.S. and its allies...Where is the outrage from the U.N.? Their silence is deafening...

March 22, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  65. m.crawford

islam is a death cult

March 22, 2010 at 5:14 am | Report abuse |
  66. Sudhir Maharjan

It is terrifying practices of the Talibans. Very inhumane and disgusting.

March 22, 2010 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
  67. Franklin

There seems to be a sure measure of propaganda in this article. CNN wrote this to pull at heart strings and drum up support for a war that has been lagging for eight years with no clear end in sight. Think about this, young boys that were eight and nine years old in 2001 are now old enough to pick up weapons and fight against the US. We have fought two generations and still have achieved nothing. What happened to this woman was and is just that; what happened to HER. Things like this happen in the USA and no one is outraged. Where is your indignation to the suffering of young girls in the USA. Every two minutes a woman is sexually assaulted here in America. That's four to six women in the time that it takes you to read this post. Where is your outrage? Why don't you ask for justice for these women? Worry less about religion and zealots and those who live their lives as they have for times longer than this country has been in existence, and worry about fixing your neighborhood, town, city, state and country.

March 22, 2010 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  68. Victor Dykes

Best way to get back at those taliban animals is to get this brave girl get a chance to get educated and lead a happy life here in America. Bet – no one from middle east will even bother to care of her education and well being.

March 22, 2010 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  69. Tushar

Everyone in this world should have the right to live as they please. It's a total disgrace to take away this right from someone.

March 21, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  70. nwachinemelu

this is barbaric! no wonder america its not relenting in fighting against the taliban.

March 21, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Rico

Horrible thing to do do another person. Makes me appreciate living in a free country that much more

March 21, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Zoe Brain

And no, I don't mean Islam. In most of the Islamic world, such a thing would be unthinkable. I mean specifically any culture whatsoever that would do this. Just them, not others who may seem like them to the ignorant.

March 21, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  73. Roco

I feel so so so sorry for that young lady, and to those mungrels who have committed such a wicked act, your day will come ! you can run but you cannot hide from the AL Mighty, but hey this just proves that you have NO VALUES, no not even for your own you dogs. You know Even DOGS protect their own, even in the eyes of animals it's logical and ethical, but to you, HELL TO YOU TALIBAN, and everything you stand for.

March 21, 2010 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
  74. rima

afghan all time lived in peace after the arival of americanthis country turned to a monster. the same thingIn Iraq Palestine. this one of the system of intruders who make political troubles religious problems and then emergence of extrimist and terorist

March 20, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Naseema

im am an afghan girl living in america...and i want to THANK god i live in america!!!!!!!!
    God Bless America...i feel bad for all the girls in afghanistan..that have no rights,,,,i feel bad for my relatives there...anyways what happened to Aisha is sooo messed up..im the same age as her...and if i was in afghanistan i would already be married and have 5 kids.!!
    gross....

now i hope her father wont be stupid and give his younger daughter to the in laws since its arranged already.......omg

March 20, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Karl Shiu

Atrocities committed all in the name of religion, all in the name of communism. Fortunately the rest of the world live in the name of freedom and self expression.

March 20, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Dziude

This is not Islam! this is a twisted and barbaric interpretation by people who do not understand even their own religion... My thoughts and prayers are with the women of Afghanistan...

March 20, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  78. tensai13

It is not fear of offending "political correctness" that restricts secular countries from fighting back against barbaric injustice such as this, it is fear of offending"religion".
    Hideous cruelty and evil will thrive as long as religious delusion continues.

March 20, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Sam

Ghazali Ridzwan, you're funny... where are you writing the statement about CNN demonizing the Taliban, somewhere in a western country safe at home sitting on a couch expressing your right of free speech?

How about you come over to Afghanistan and I'll be more than happy to take you on a walking tour through Lash Kar Gah or even down south. And where are your facts saying that CNN is intentionally doing this? Being deployed, I see things first hand... what about you?

March 20, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Sam

Danielle, you're correct, we do have Christian extremists in the US, but you dont see them going around and chopping people's heads off, deriving car bombs into civilians, giving children a hand grenade and telling them to walk into a crowd of children surrounding a coalition force convoy who are trying to build schools and hospitals and stuff, do you?

March 20, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  81. haim

Still want to negotiate with the Taliban?

March 20, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Kolawole Ajao

When will religious intolerance end on earth.This act is dehumanizing.Cases like this are rampant in central Nigerian city of Jos where religious intolerant Moslems have taken human life for that of a chicken,killing Xtians in tens of hundreds.

March 20, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Coni

I feel so sorry that this is still happening in our time. I believe that the very basic thing that we should do is to help the people to have a basic education. When the people are educated they will be empowered and be able resist wrong ideology whether it is cultural or religious.

March 20, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Kevin Sauer

What happened to this poor girl is just apauling. No one in there right mind would have ever commited such a crime. This is why the US is trying to run the Taliban out. I do believe though that the people of Afghanistan have to start taking action of their own or the problems of their nation will never be fixed. I feel sorry or this young lady, and the fact that she was put through this at the hands of her own family. Also I read throughout the post people blaming George Bush? What the heck are you thinking. How did Bush have anyhting to do with these people's screwed up religious beliefs.

March 20, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  85. glynnis

this story is sickening, but a testament to what life is like for many women in afghanistan. i wish bibi refuge in america, and whatever reconstructive surgery she needs. mutilation to women's bodies happens all over the world... and while i don't agree with the wars we are entangled in if we are able to help women like bibi it will be good to hear about it. please update us on her story.

March 20, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  86. Adam

My name is Adam and i am a 43 year old Afghan living in the United States. I am also a Muslim and a Pashtun. I find it so weird that when i was in Afghanistan from 1966 to 1987, the society i lived in had advanced human rights and facilities. I don't count these inhumane disgraces to Afghans and simple humanity, as Muslims.

Afghans are not as backward as you may have read above...

March 20, 2010 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  87. NK

They should hand over the business of governing the country to women not men. Women will never have justice as long as the men have the power. The world will be a much better place if women are to rule.

March 20, 2010 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  88. OldGirl

Darkness. Awful darkness. What can penetrate such incredible cruelty and ignorance?
    How can you teach people like this love and mercy?
    Horrible. Horrible. Horrible.

March 19, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Rob

To those of you who claim this is not religious as such, you need to learn the type of Islam practiced by these men. It was created in hatred of British, Indian and western culture. The clerics are trained for a maximum of 3 years to recite verses that they can not read for themselves, and the implementors of Sharia are not educated. This is merely one type of attrocity committed by these men. While I was there, one insurgent (I prefer not to use the term Taliban because it literally means "student of the Quran" and thus it infers we are waging war against the Quran) went through after a medical assistance visit gave all of a village's children a polio vaccine, and cut off all of the childrens' arms. The Deoband Muslims detest all things not of the Quran, which they can not read; all things Western because we are clearly the infidels; and distrust all other forms of Islam which they believe have [wrongfully] made too many concessions to an evolving world.

March 19, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Jim

Horrible thing to happen. We are trying to bring these people democracy?
    Now I hear W's old friend King Abdullah will not stop the execution of a Lebanese guy for sorcery! He was caught predicting the future on TV!

March 19, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Lauren

This is awful! To want to be free from enslavement and then have your HUSBAND do such a cruel thing is monstorous.

March 19, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Jane Collins

Disgusting. They are animals. No...worse than animals, because no other species would torture its own like this. I despise them all. Muslim extremists and fanatics believe completely that women should be treated as slaves and tortured and murdered at will. They are monsters.

March 19, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Abdulla

totally against our religion (islam)... brutal and baberic act. they sould get the same punishment as in islam ( Qisas).

March 19, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  94. James -- Atlanta

This is as barbaric as it gets!! This has been going on forever and it is traggic. Will there ever be a time of normal living after the fighting is over???

March 19, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |