February 25th, 2010

Afghan flag raised over war-torn Taliban stronghold

Authorities raised the Afghan flag over the battle-scarred enclave of Marjah on Thursday, a ceremony symbolizing the presence of the Afghan government in the Taliban stronghold. The red, black and green banner was hoisted over an area where U.S. and other troops have been fighting the Taliban in Operation Moshtarak - the biggest offensive of the war. Full Story

1. London escort brazilian

I definitely want to read more on this blog soon. BTW, pretty nice design you have here, but don’t you think it should be changed once in a few months?

October 20, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Katie

Daniel,
    I've read several of your comments where you use the phrase filthy creeps or filthy thugs. You need some Meds to get with reality. When the Taliban stops all these suicide bombings than life can go back to normal. In case you haven't noticed, the Taliban kill a lot of civilians

March 4, 2010 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  3. Daniel

I suppose that the filthy thugs in WashingtonD.C.must by extremely giddy by now about what's going on in Afghanistan and Pakistan just like Adolf Hitler was in 1940 after the fall of France.Now I know how that Frenchman I saw in that 1940 news clip felt as he watched the German troops parade down the Champs Elysee in Paris.It makes me sick to see these people gloat while the people in Afghanistan and Pakistan suffer.But like JFK once said,life is not fair.

March 3, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jarhead

I am an Active duty Marine currently assigned here in Helmand Province. I truly feel that some of the people writing in on this blog are out in left field. To truly get a firm grip on what is happening, please assist me with my daily presence patrol through the local bazaar. The people of Afghanistan are not bad people, however there is a bad influence that interfers with local government. I hope that the media corporations do a follow up story to tell of how the schools will be built, ecomomy will grow, and people will establish and maintain jobs. This is the only way for the American population to truly get a firm grip on what is happening out here. I will be here for a few more months, and I am looking forward to my return a few months later. I have a job that I enjoy. It was nice to meet you Atia. – Gunny

March 3, 2010 at 4:49 am | Report abuse |
  5. James

The only way the US is going to win the war against terror is if they use my wonderful ideas on how to deal with it. Although I am very optimistic, but I am afraid the new plan and increase in the number of troops will not change the momentum of this war. Let's hope and pray that things get better.

March 2, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Eric

The invading American and NATO forces have announced that they are clearing the last pockets of resistance in Marjah but this is no more than an eye-wash. The fact is that the invading troops are now entangled in a long war in Marjah. The battles are going on in Marjah according to the tactical plan of the Taliban. With the passage of every day, the American/Nato forces suffers life and material losses.

From the first day of operation February 13, 2010, the American/Nato troops have not been able to extend their writ to other areas of Marjah except areas, which were evacuated by the Taliban at the beginning of the operations as per a tactical plan to encircle the enemy forces. When Nato’s new strategy faced fiasco, they ludicrously announced to have cleared the areas. However, the ground realities are contrary to what they are claiming.

March 1, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Daniel

I feel quite nauseated every time I hear all this bravado about the "great" success of Operation Moshtarak.It makes me feel like the Frenchman I saw in a 1940 newsclip crying as he watched the German Army parade down the Champs Elysee.One would that killing people was the greatest accomplishment one can achieve.It goes to show that bad guys do come out on top every once in a while and this turns my stomach upside down!!!

March 1, 2010 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  8. Daniel Boone

Wonderful!! Now what? I do not see many of the 85,000 residents jumping for joy! Looks pretty sorry and staged, this is just more propaganda from the NATO Stooges?

February 28, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  9. Bruno Parisien

I think that the level of casualty would be a subject that would interesse me to know.What where the objective and also when are we going to control there borders so that no re armement is done .And yes that is the right move the afgan flag and the blue of the UN should be their. we should look at building up the infrastructure for that contry is the only way to make sure that we will not have to come back in a couple of years.
    – education for both sex
    -steady developing economies
    -control borders .
    -building agriculture and export market(no planes helicopter heavy lifters0
    That all i have to say about that ...

February 28, 2010 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  10. r mcnertny

well done brits,as ever,the spin that the afghans are leading things but have almost no losses is an insult to the nato military doing the fighting here.

February 27, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  11. Maiwand

Raising the flag in the part of the country is just the beginning of a long battle for the area. Winning a war isnt that simple, especially when one has to deal with insurgents and terrorists. It is the years that follow that will determine the faith of this region. Although I would like to see that flag on its place for ever but Iam afraid the Karzai government is not able of defending that flag for a long time.

February 26, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. A. Smith, Oregon

Mission Accomplished, time for the American soldiers in Afghanistan to come home. There is very little that is going to be further accomplished in Afghanistan. Pull out now, call it success or whatever makes you happy.

February 26, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Harley Roy

Reference "they should have raised the U.S.A Flag, but it's still alright..." just in case you have'nt noticed mate " The Brits" are up the "Sharp End" as well.!!! Best regards from an old former " Tommy".

February 26, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. j

They should have raised the U.S.A Flag, but its still alright....

February 26, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  15. Anderson Clayton

How many Afghan civilians had to dye for us to create this photo opportunity?
    With those apparent successes we are breading more terrorists than we are taking out of action. Are we doing something we are going to regret in the near future?
    Are we going to cry over the dead of a new 911 just to find that we are suffering the consequences of the actions of our incompetent government?
    It is time to concentrate ALL our efforts in America, in our ailing economy and eroding job opportunities.
    It is time to leave this people alone to decide their own future, and realize we are not welcomed in their land!

February 26, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  16. James

The biggest challage to me is that the local Taliban in Marjah would hide their guns and pretend to be civilians as long as the pressure continues to exist. They would stay dormant as long as the atomosphere is not in their favor. This is what makes the operation last a lot more longer than one expects and makes the casualities go up.
    Directly or indirectly the locals will always support the Taliban and there is a good reason for that; they make 100 times more money by growing poppies rather than wheat.

February 26, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  17. Freshta

Thanks Atia jan. You are a great role model for other Afghan women! And you are so stunning!

February 26, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  18. Dan Nelson Lafayette,IN

Your doing a great job Atia and it looks like are troops are doing well too. I think that this new strategy is working. With Pakistan arresting top leaders of the Taliban and our drone attacks along with our troops on the ground we are turning this war around. Keep up the GOOD work and we will win this war! Thank you Atia and all the troops for all you do for freedom in Afghanistan!

February 25, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Mary Davis

Thank you Atia Abawi for bravely reporting from the war zone. If it weren't for you CNN wouldn't even know there is a war in Afghanistan.

February 25, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |