KABUL, Afghanistan - The Taliban has claimed responsibility for what it called a suicide vehicle attack that ripped through an area near a U.S. military base in Kabul on Tuesday, authorities said.
The attack came as Afghan security forces arrested a man over last week's deadly assault on key government sites in the heart of Kabul.
Afghan authorities said Tuedsay's blast injured as many as five people, but Taliban spokesman Zabullah Mujahid claimed the strike killed 25 soldiers and damaged three tanks.
The NATO-led command said the explosion occurred around 5 p.m. outside the main gate at Camp Phoenix in the outskirts of the capital.
It said initial reports indicate that the blast was caused by a vehicle bomb, but did not release any casualty figures.
Abdul Ghafar Saidzada, an Afghan security official, and an Afghan Interior Ministry spokesman said the attack was a suicide blast. The ministry spokesman said initial information reported five injured.
Detailing Tuesday's arrest over last week's attacks, the National Directorate of Security identified the suspect as a 29-year-old man named Kamulddin and released a video of him confessing to the coordinated strike.
Militants wielding bombs and firearms killed at least five people, including two policemen and a national security staff member, and wounded more than 70 others, many of whom were police officers.
The January 18 strike started as members of Afghan President Hamid Karzai's Cabinet were to be sworn into office.
About 20 Taliban insurgents entered the presidential palace; the ministries of Finance, Mines and Justice; and the Serena Hotel, an Afghan government spokesman said.