January 13th, 2010

Inside the choppers

In Iraq and Afghanistan, the U.S. military relies heavily on helicopters, from tiny Kiowas to Blackhawks to Apaches. One of the granddaddies of them all is the CH-53E, or "Sea Stallion." Designed for moving troops or gear, the Sea Stallions are huge, powerful and sometimes fun to hitch a ride on. CNN's Atia Abawi and cameraman Scott Clotworthy recently took a ride for an inside look at the chopper in Afghanistan.

1. George Logan

Phillips

I know you're a great Marine. Inevitably. After all, how many Marines have a Mom like Denny? All the best. I sent you a couple of historical novels. Denny will be sending them on to you.

Chris Logan may look you up one of these days. He's AF, flies C 17s and will be deployed after April. We both enjoyed the books I'm sending.

Keep em flying. You guys are all in our prayers.

George Logan

January 20, 2010 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. st

Thanks to the 462 Heavy Haulers! All of you are heros. Stay safe, we want you back home.

January 19, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jo-Bess Grenga

Phillips, you don't know me, but I'm a friend of your parents. I'm so amazed at all that you do for our benefit, for our freedom. Thank you for giving these years in service as a Marine for America!!!

You are in our prayers and in our hearts! Thanks to you and all of your service buddies! May Our Lord continue to protect you and guide you not only in your helicopter maneuvers, but in your daily lives as you depend on Him!

Sincerely,
    Jo-Bess Grenga

January 18, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jacob, Afghanistan

There is so much fail in your comment...

January 17, 2010 at 3:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. A. Smith, Oregon

The Sea Stallion's are multipurpose and have a medium lift capacity, making it necessary to have a very large tail rotor. The large tail rotor is like a huge bulls eye for a RPG gunner. As such it makes the very capable Sea Stallion one of the most vulnerable air transport vehicles in a US war zone. Flying in one of these thru the mountain passes of Afghanistan would definitely be a white knuckle experience as many of the RPG ambush points in those mountains have long been established and carefully marked out.

January 14, 2010 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. Corinna

My appreciation to all the gals and guys who work so hard everyday for our/my country to enjoy the freedom gained by your sacrifice...be safe!

January 13, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |