January 8th, 2010

CIA suicide attacker's wife 'shocked' but proud

Amman, Jordan - The wife of an alleged suicide bomber who killed eight people at a U.S. base in Afghanistan last week says she is shocked by his actions but "proud" of what he did. Defne Bayrak, the Turkish wife of Humam Khalil Abu-Mulal al-Balawi - a Jordanian doctor identified as the attacker - said she doubted accusations her husband had been an intelligence agent, but was satisfied he did not die in vain.

"I am proud of my husband. My husband accomplished a very big operation in such a war," she told reporters. "If he is a martyr, may God accept his martyrdom."

Al-Balawi has been named as the suspected bomber behind a December 30 attack on a U.S. base in Khost, in southeastern Afghanistan, that killed killed seven CIA officers and contractors, and a Jordanian army captain.

Bayrak, speaking from their home in Istanbul, told CNN Turk television she was "shocked" to hear what he had done. "It is impossible for me to make a guess if he was an agent, what was his reason going there," she said. "I am not saying whether I am believing or not believing. I am trying to say, we were not expecting something like this."

Read more about the reaction from the suspect's father, mother and brother

Filed under: CIA bombing deaths
  1. confused from Kentucky

Dear, Tawab Afghan,
    You are unbelievable. First of all, what information did you receive that led you to believe that the CIA is in this waste-land for their benefit? Do you just have a blind prejudice against those who try to help you or do you have a tangible information to base your judgment which is that the CIA is performing something illegal or anything to the contrary of justice and freedom. (do you even know what it means to give up the only and most precious thing a person can give for the sake of freedom, yeah its one's own life,) Second of all, you try to down-play the fact suicide bombing go on all the time in Afghanistan and the fact the media is covering this incident because Americans were killed. Again, I sense some prejuidice here because you simply don't want to believe that the CIA is there for you. The least we can do for these precious lives is to recognize and remember them, if not carry on the work they've started. You see, our worldview says to do what is right in the face of unimaginable evil and we value the life of each and every person in this world. Even those who try to harm others. So please, don't create conspiracy theories to downplay or justify these evil acts. You have no bases in your accusations. Try a little truth and some sound judgment!

January 12, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Roberto

Got an idea... lets get out of Afghanistan right now and let them enjoy their medieval style Taliban government for a while, that's right. Instead we can bring out boys home and protect our borders and use that money to research and development, better education and ways to create new innovations that will place us again in the vanguard of technology. We have right now the know how to protect our borders, why we don't use it. We need to get a better perspective to fight this war. What we are doing is called nation building. In the process in our nation schools go to hell, roads gets ruined, unemployment increase and we are going to implode from the inside out. Who cares how they live...let them do what they want. No more democracy for those countries, they don't want it and don't appreciate what we give them. Lets work on our own country before we fall apart too.

January 12, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tawab Afghan

In my undrestanding these are all performances of CIA in order to not reveal its secrets.
    I'm an Afghan it is just a few years I see suicides in my country, before this no one knew this issue.

January 12, 2010 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. Walter

Dear Ms. Defne Bayrak,

I am an American Citizen and I can only imagine your feelings. I can only imagine what I would do, if a woman I loved was threatened by an opposing force so great, that I felt her life and way of life was being obliterated.......... for whatever reason, I am just beginning to understand what that kind of love is.......and it helps me to sense what you must feel.

May you find and have peace.

May your husband's death be the last one of it's kind in this horrible conflict.

May the wives,husbands,uncles, aunts, cousins, daughters, sons, and friends of those who died near him find peace as well.

May we all find peace.

Can we agree that no one wins in war? All of us just get to live with the memory of the dead and the suffering of the living. And though my hand has never touched a gun and I have never struck another person with the intent to do mortal harm, I would feel like an accessory to murder if I did not speak up.

I would feel like a killer for sitting here and letting you think I am your enemy; for sitting here in my room while a war is going on and doing nothing to stop it.

I do not know if my words will stop this war. I do not know if I have that kind of power but God knows I want you to have peace and know that there is one person in the United States of America who is not your enemy.

I hold nothing against you and I seek nothing from you.

Peace be with you,

January 10, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ty

Proud eh?
    I say we let her take the brunt of the murders. Why not, you support terrorism your just as bad as the one who did the crime.

January 10, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Gary

Those he killed weren't a threat to his country. He will never see the God he thought he died for.

January 10, 2010 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mike Murray

Until religion (along with greed and lust for power) is exposed as the real enemies of humainity we will never progress beyond tribes chucking spears and rocks because our diety is the right one, I'm afraid huminity is doomed to extinction.

January 10, 2010 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
  8. Rick from Portland

Steven – "Backyard BBQ pit and beers" eh? Let me tell you that as a former Officer in the United States Marine Corps I have seen plenty of this world. I have in fact been shot at on 3 different continents, 2 out of 3 by Muslims. I am acutely aware of the mindset of the enemy, and the fact that they don't think like we do. That iis why traditional diplomatic, nation-building and even millitary efforts have failed. You are correct that this enemy is different than any other we have faced, and that we view them as cowards because of our perspective, but that from their perspective they are heroes, and yes, like us in the past, they use religion to justify their actions. Your post precisely makes my point, that we need to fight them differently, and that doiing so is not lowering ourselves to their level it is in fact evolving our methods in light of an unprecedented danger. If we continue to treat this enemy as we have those in the past, we will lose. We need to wake up and realize the rules have forever changed, and in light of that we must change too or perish. Fortunately, there are men among us willing to do whatever it takes to protect this country. I wonder if you have ever served, for this country or any other? If not, perhaps you should ponder the fact that today while you watch football and enjoy beers and bbq there are men like me standing in harm's way so that you and those you love can sleep in peace. Enjoy your hot dog pal!

January 9, 2010 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  9. stephanie

she is a slave to her own culture,she has no life,no purpose in life,animals have more feelings toward one another.

January 9, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  10. stephanie

shame on her,her family and everyone that believes he did the right thing,he killed innocent people that did nothing to him he took so many lives for what? what has he done but take someone brother,sister,mother, father,why,why,why is this what your told to do how to live,this is no way,you will stand before God and he will reward all terrorists with the just punishment of hell,mo mercy,no virgins,no rewards,she has to live with herself and explain to her children what a evil man,a murderer their father was,he took innocent lives for what? what did they do to him?they were his own people.why................................did he make his country better?Did make her safe?what did he accomplish................nothing.Only God can take ones life . humans that take lives are punished in our court system.

January 9, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  11. Steven

Doesnt any of you understand? The extremists are fighting a holy war? They are killing in the name of God, and you upright Christians don't seem to remember a time in your history when that was common for you? Or the Jews? There is a whole Testament devoted to the wars the Jews fought to establish their homestate. The Muslim War in the name of God never ended. They are fighting for their homeland as well. There is a difference in thought among the masses when a country is at war: they lose the ability to be able to place themselves in their enemies shoes. We have been 'civilized' in the sense that we view their warfare tactics cowardly, but in reality they never progressed and evolved. I know however that if I had their mindset and circumstances to deal with, I would probably say the same thing of a close relationship. He died for his God, and he died for his cause. Men could but hope to die for these worthy causes. What is it for us to say that what the man believed in was worthy enough to die for, and why shouldn't his wife be proud? You guys are just close-minded one sided thinkers. Transcend the opposition mindset and realize there is a world outside of your backyard bbq pit and beers, Only when you understand the enemy can you hope to fight them or win them or help them.

January 9, 2010 at 5:24 am | Report abuse |
  12. Rick from Portland

Thank you "Afghan Muslim" for validating all of my points. You and those like you are cowards, and we will fight you with everything we have until you are ground into the dust. You want to blame America for the Palestinian problem? Blame the Arab countries that carved up Palestine in 1948.. Palestinians have been scorned and crapped on by their fellow Arabs for centuries, read your history books. We did not start this fight, we did not "create" al-Qeada. Yes, we gave arms to people we believed were "freedom fighters" trying to resist Soviet occupation of Afghanistan, and how has that helping hand been rewarded? Afghanistan has been nothing forever, because your people have no concept of a nation. You are tribal, feudal, cousin against cousin, you care only for yourselves and have had that attitude for centuries. You want us out of your country? Well I want us out too, and if we left the world would quickly see you descend back into the hell of the Taliban, and their mideival mindset. I frankly wish we would leave you all to rot in hell, not a hell of our making but a hell YOU have created for your own people. Would you accept that deal as "peace"? If the US pulled out of Afghanistan would you leave us alone? I doubt it, because you need a "Great Satan" to focus your hate upon. You make me sick. And by the way, are you living here in the US? Reading CNN, living the good life while at the same time you say you want to destroy us? You are a hypocrite and a cowardly SOB.

January 8, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. No RELIGION

A martyr!!!!! You gotta be kidding. Now those two poor kids have no father. What a waste of human life. The wife needs psyco evaluation. She should not be raising the kids.

January 8, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  14. A. Smith, Oregon

Obviously this woman loved her husband very much and despite the condemnation by the western people, wishes her late husband well.

I believe this attack upon the CIA base commander and several Xe CIA contractors was the result of a midnight raid by the Xe contractors a month previously that allegedly slaughtered a large number of Afghanistan children and youngsters that was fingered specifically by President Karzi as conducted by the CIA.

I also believe this Jordanian Doctor worked for the CIA in the secret rendition CIA prison there in Jordan where he later became a CIA field agent before being placed in Pakistan to help the CIA track down al-Qaedas number two leader, Eiman al-Sawahiri.

Do I think Eiman al-Sawahiri is a extremely evil man? Yes I do, he is as close to a anti-christ figure as Christian's will ever find. However committing extremely evil acts upon civilians including murdering innocent children among them does not justify finding and ending Eiman al-Sawahiri's reign of evil.

Because Eiman al-Sawahiri has directly caused the murder of numerous children denote it is right for those that seek to end his reign of evil to do the same in order to find and kill him?

January 8, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. confused from Kentucky

I had to learn English as a second language so my vocab is not as good, but how can a person be considered as a martyr if he basically commits suicide in front of his "enemy". The "enemy" did not do him any harm, in fact they left their families to help him. Is there another name in the dictionary besides a coward? If not, why don't we skip the political-correctness and call him what he really is – a coward.

January 8, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  16. AFGHAN MUSLIM

palestinians and afghans and iraqis die is nothing nobody talks about it but when AN AMERICAN OR ISRAELIS die everyone talks AMERICANS makes u do this everyone know that al qaeda was created by CIA and OSAMA BIN LADEN was PRESIDENT BUSH'S business partner. USA started this game and we gonna finish it. AND PEOPLE DIE IN WAR so take it like a MAN

January 8, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Vicious

Amen Rick

January 8, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Rick from Portland

I used to take a "Love thy Neighbor" attitude toward everyone, regardless. Then, my wife was at Ground Zero on 9/11. Thankfully, she survived. As I have watched the events since then unfold, I realize that unfortunately, sometimes you just have to stand up and fight evil rather than turning the other cheek. These people don't think like we do, that do not value life as we do, and they have no respect or recognition of the concept of "non-combatants" like women and children.

It is nt lowering ourselves to their level to fight this evil, it is simply folly to not fight evil with all means possible. We need to quit trying to bring democracy to these countries, that has never and will never work. Democracies are born when people stand up and fight for themselves, you cannot give anyone that gift, they have to want it, as our young nation did in 1776. We need to get out of Iran, get out of Afghanistan, and instead focus our efforts on hunting down and eliminating these enemies to our existence wherever they reside. If Pakistan won't deal with the terrorists within its borders, we should bomb them ourselves, or use other millitary means unilaterally. "Sovereign" countries lose that status wheen they allow themselves to be used by terrorists as havens. Same with Somalia, Yemen, etc.

Pull our quarter million troops out, let their countries go to hell, and when those people are in enough pain they will make changes themselves. In the meantime, use the troops as strike forces to nail terrorism wherever it rears its ugly, regardless of borders and sovereignity. It's the only way we'll win, we will never change their hearts and minds, they must change themselves, and in the meantime we must protect ourselves from them.

January 8, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Dave

I agree Michael, I have been saying this since 9/11. Ban them all from this country.

January 8, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Cory

It's obvious when reading between the lines that this woman is a card-carrying jihadist. First of all, she's trying to say her husband didn't "work" for the CIA which is a lie; that he was just an average joe that managed to somehow sneak into a CIA base and assemble the top 7 CIA experts on al-Qaeda into the same room as him. Give me a break!

Oh and by the way Mrs. Bayrak, there IS a verse in the Quran that says DOUBLE-CROSSERS will be forsaken by Allah on the Day of Judgement. So it looks like even if Islam does turn out to be the true religion, his soul will be roasting. Hurrah!

January 8, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Eric

I keep hearing the phrase "Good Muslims". When are the "Good Muslims" going to put a stop to this?

January 8, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Joe

Major Hasan's family is here in the United States. When thry heard about what their son or brother did, they were all in schock. If they were in Jorda their statement would have been different, they would probably be in schock but also proud for waht their son, or brother did. The majority, specially Muslims that come from the Middle East or around that part of the world are very attached to their hoeland, politically and religiously, they come to America because their economy is bad. They do prosper here but yet they maintain their religious and political hatred against this country.

January 8, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  23. kylie

It is a sad commentary in our global society when brutally murdering innocent people is conisdered a "proud" act (as quoted from the bomer's wife). And please, leave God out of it, he has nothing to do with such evil acts!

January 8, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Shane

well the wife is just sayimng that to make herself noticed in the media ,deep down she must be so relieved that she is rid of this useless husband maybe now she can marry her lover !!!!!!!

January 8, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Mike

The Koran is peaceful. It's just the extremists and ultra-nationalists that misinterpret it. It is wrong that Defne Bayrak thinks that her husband was a marytr. As mike said earlier, this is definately not an act of marytrium. This is an act of cowards in Humam Khalil Abu-Mulal al-Balawi and in Al Qaeda.

January 8, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  26. David Marc Werdegar

Do these delusioned fanatics ever ask themselves why they have to do the dirty work for their deity? In the name of Allah? Please. If the CIA infidels are commiting heinous crimes against humanity, how impotent must be their god if as the creator of the universe it can't manage to carry out the necessary executions.

January 8, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Brian Cruz

I wouldn't hit a woman, butI really feel like I want to slap this stupid lady. Seriously? She is proud? We should bomb her house, or just, I don't know, make her suffer. Or, she should just go to a mental facility. It's people like her that make me more proud of being an American and makes me proud that we are fighting them. May her husband rest in peace in hell.

January 8, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Jim

That's the spirit Defne, share him with 72 virgins.

January 8, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  29. dan sheehan

In this case this ignorant wretch of a human being should be helped to join her husband in hell . Pretty easy to get someone in Turkey.

Obama is right in not proclaiming a "crusade " on the entire Muslim population. At the same time we must send a message to the segment that wants us dead starting with this women
    who no doubt will raise her children to be suicide bombers also.

January 8, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  30. MICHAEL STALTER

If Defne Bayrak is so proud of her husband, maybe we should just permanently ban her and all her family from ever entering into our country. As a matter of fact, maybe we should just not let ANY person from the middle east into our country until they clean up their act and quit hating Americans. We dump alot of money into these regions and we should just stop.

January 8, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Marc

What I find particularly offensive about his bomber and Major Hasan is that they were both doctors. They swore a hypocratic oath which should transcend religious beliefs. Their oath states that they will "do no harm". These idiots don't realize that he has brought shame to his family, his country and profession.

January 8, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  32. mike

those who die at the hands of others rather than renounce their beliefs are marytrs , those who commit suicide and kill others in the process are insane fanatical murders, those who continue to insist that islam is a religion of peace have not read the koran.

January 8, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  33. kevin

frank, you cant actually believe that drivel you just wrote. talk about sheep

January 8, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  34. Jim

I hope she joins her husband very soon, thats what she deserves

January 8, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  35. Frank B

Fred...Our politically correct leadership isnt going to let this stand! They will pay for this action! Are you still upset Obama is in office?What would McCain and Palin done?Start shooting off bombs and continuing a war because they are trigger happy?Give our leadership an opportunity to work.What would you do Fred? We all need to ban together to fight these creeps and stop blaming our leadership on not executing these guys when ever it wants.

January 8, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  36. buckwheat

I am happy for him too because he is one of the dead. Don't many of us get our last wish granted to us. Religion does take its toll of the good and bad.He must not have taken the doctors oath seriously either.Can you get to heaven if you lie also?So much for the peaceful beliefs we are told that are taught to many here in our own midst. It is no accident that preachers refer to his people as his flock ,as in sheep. Sheep very seldom make the honor roll in academics as the brightest.

January 8, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  37. Tower

Does this not show that the Koran that all are trying to say is for peace is not per this woman's reply to her husbands killing people of another religion. All know that not all are killers my question, why allow it why not rise up against these people. Where are the Muslim countries to help rid these parasites from their midst. Why all over the world they kill. I am truly confused If there is profiling so be it because now we are at WAR.

January 8, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  38. al

"may god accept his martyrdom" ? Seriously, what god would be in acceptance of the killing of his children for whatever reason.? Is this ignorance going to continue to prevail in God's creation.

January 8, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  39. Fred

Then she should be executed the same way her coward husband executed his victims. How can anyone be proud of such actions? Hey America! These folks want us DEAD and your liberal (politically correct) "leadership" is saying... HEY, COME ON OVER AND KILL US AND DON"T WORRY WE WON"T OFFEND YOU.

Whatever.