December 31st, 2009

Canadian journalist killed in Afghanistan, remembered on blog

(CNN) - A day before her death, journalist Michelle Lang posted a blog entry about a woman from Canada who, like herself, had voluntarily signed up to work alongside the soldiers in Afghanistan.

Lang, 34, died Wednesday along with four Canadian soldiers when a roadside bomb struck their armored vehicle in the southern Afghan province of Kandahar. The soldiers' names were released Thursday: Sgt. George Miok, Sgt. Kirk Taylor, Cpl. Zachery McCormack and Pvt. Garrett William Chidley. Read more on the Canadian reaction

Watch CNN.com's interview with Calgary Herald reporter Colette Derworiz as she remembers her friend and colleague

Lang's "combat barber" blog post for The Calgary Herald elicited dozens of entries expressing shock and sadness over her sudden death.

Read Lang's blog

"I remember being overseas on a military tour at the age of 35, one year older than you were," C from Ontario wrote. "Like you, back then I was unafraid to be in harm's way, and the adrenalin of working at such an exciting job and the camaraderie and intense job satisfaction compensated for having to leave my loved ones behind.

"You died doing what you loved and your death is not in vain, because of your writing, which kept us in touch with how you portrayed everyday life with our troops. I wish you everlasting peace and send my condolences to your family and friends."

She was remembered by her newspaper as a journalist who "never took the easy way out," and who yearned to leave the main military base in Kandahar and talk to the troops in combat.

She had been working with a provincial reconstruction team made up of soldiers and civilian social workers who were working to rebuild parts of Afghanistan, according to the Herald.

Two days before her death, she wrote an e-mail saying she hoped her assignment would "produce some interesting stories on the civilian-reconstruction side, as well as some military ones," the newspaper reported.

Lang, who was recently engaged to be married, is the first Canadian journalist killed while covering the war in Afghanistan. There are more than 2,800 Canadian troops supporting the NATO-led mission in Afghanistan, one of the largest contingents. Read more about Wednesday's bombing

CNN's Atia Abawi, who recently returned to an assignment in Kandahar province, said the military convoy carrying Lang was traveling in an area outside Kandahar city that was considered relatively safe.

Abawi, who did not know Lang, said her death struck a chord.

"I can't imagine ... I've lived here for over a year, others [journalists] come in and out," Abawi said. "We've been lucky, and this poor woman died on her first assignment."

1. Paul

CNN=unbiased, honest information about what's happening in a war zone.
    ___________________

First, condolences to the youung lady.

Secondly, the fact that CNN and most mainstream news networks just continue the lie that these wars are about "our security&freedom", is proof that it's not unbiased. Iraq and Afghanistan are about oil=$. Nothing else.

Doesn't take a rocket science to find the truth.

January 2, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. malu

that war is in vain..what is canada doing there?? come on canadians, you support your country no US, those US politic people who want to control the world, it is their fault..come on

.. it is stupid when they say "fight for us" please YS fight for control, for money, not for us,,you jerks.. poor soldiers they just go to war like lambs.
    Lang just die IN VAIN,

January 2, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rich

My deepest sympathies to the reporter and troops killed, and to all those lost. I believe with the other posters that don't believe we should be there. Let them all blow themselves up over there, they don't need our help. If they all blow themselves up there will be no one left eventually. It sickens me, and who is over there? Many of the poor immigrants and lower class people who need jobs, but I am not saying they are not brave, neither are those who believe in this thing. It's just a sad state of affairs. Obama can stop this, and he should.

January 2, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Deborah Groenheyde

This was a tragic loss...may the Lord comfort those who have been scarred by this.....

January 2, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. David

My condolences to Ms. Langs family and my salute to all soldiers and civillians who fight for us. With, or without arms. I hope and pray for peace. Too many of our loved ones have perished.

January 2, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. J. Gourley

Thank you CNN for providing this coverage–Canadians grieve and bleed in the same manner as our American neighbours/neighbors and I see no reason to turn my lament into a criticism of CNN for not providing more Canadian coverage. As a Canadian, I don't feel I need any kind of media endorsement to recognize and appreciate the large sacrifice Canada is making in Afghanistan despite our smaller population.

The post-9-11 world has changed the WEST and that's a fact. We must continue fighting the good fight because terrorism is not going away. I always worry more about our troops–indeed all ISAF troops–during Christian religious holidays. That's because our enemies–yes they are enemies–are extremist religious fanatical ideologues who will not tolerate religious "otherness" and want to wipe out Christianity and Judaism.

December 2009 saw Canada lose 6 souls to the taliban: 5 soldiers, one journalist and many injured. And, our American neighbours/neighbors simultaneously suffered even more casualties. So, it's with a heavy heart that both nations greet the new year. I offer condolences to the families, friends and Comrades-in-Arms of all whom have made the supreme sacrifice–including ALL of our allies; journalists and civilians who fight to tell us the stories and civilians who support the troops in the theatre/theater of war.

I especially thank the brave soldiers, sailors, airmen and airwomen of the Canadian Forces. Canadians can never thank you enough; your sacrifice is a debt we can never repay. I am fortunate to have been born in Canada.

May God Bless all of our nations: keep us strong and prevent us from bickering amongst ourselves–the more solidarity the West demonstrates, the more irritated our enemies–taliban and al-qaeda will be... they may have killed our soldiers but they did not destroy the spirit of the Christmas season.

Thank you CNN. Canada grieves your losses America ...

January 2, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. tony gomes

My heart goes out for the families and close friends of these brave men & women for whom no sacrifice is too big. This they do for our benefit.

May God give their families & friends the confort and peace that only HIM can give.

My heartfelt gratitude.

Tony Gomes

January 2, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  8. irish-expat

My heartfelt sympathies to all the families who lost loved ones in this "war on terrorism". We no longer receive news from CBC on TV here in the U.S., and I am finding it increasingly difficult to locate a radio station that broadcasts Canadian news. In my opinion we should leave this tribal nation and let them sort out their own miseries. With the technology available today why can't we (NATO countries) observe what is going on and respond accordingly without sending good men and women to their deaths, or worse to be maimed forever, for a country that has been fighting amongst them selves for centuries???? Perhaps this is a naive outlook, but, the western world needs to mind its own business first, instead of interfering with ancient cultures .

January 2, 2010 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  9. Anil

Sorry no condolences but a reality check – She died in vain in a war that has nothing with Canada. Its not your war. It was G W Bush's war

January 2, 2010 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  10. Gerard Rozario

My heartfelt condolences to all the families of the soldiers and Michelle who have braved it to be there in Afghantistan in their fight against a part of Global Terrorism.U r heroes and will be in our prayers always

January 2, 2010 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  11. MJ

To: AngryG.I. - when you pointed out how silly it is to be angry because "... someone cut you off in line at Starbucks...", it made me realize something:

I SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF MYSELF.

Thank you AngryG.I., for pointing that out.

We civilians back here in North America have a life that is too soft. Too easy. We forget the misery that our soldiers - both U.S. and Canadian - have to endure 24/7 over there, 10,000 miles away, in the most miserable conditions you can imagine.

Young men and women, holding the fort in Afghanistan, putting their lives at stake every day so that the rest of us back here can continue to enjoy our double-decaf-no-load lattes. What a pathetic bunch of softies we have become here in North America. I grow more ashamed the more I think about it (doesn’t help that I’m Catholic to boot; “shame central”).

AngryG.I., please keep writing. We need to hear the words of people like you.

January 1, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. JJ

That was too bad.Heartbreaking...May their souls rest in peace,Amen

January 1, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dr swapnil porwal

deep condolences 4 loss of 4 soldiers and michelle lang.bt we shud never forget that their sacrifice won't go in vain.we got something 2 learn from.and also terrorists must know that we r not afraid by such cowardly behaviour of theirs.......adieu

January 1, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Justin V

I worked with Michelle covering City Hall meetings in Prince George, BC in 1999. She was paper, I was radio and we both were new to the business. She made my Monday nights fun. I'll remeber her smile, inquisitiveness, dedication and her great sense of humour. My condolences to her family and fiancee.

January 1, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rochelle Herman

As a fellow journalist, I admire Michelle's commitment & dedication. Her intense passion & courage to aquire firsthand, the raw reality of war through our soldiers in the combat fields, will forever be remembered....... Rest in peace Michelle! May god be with you and your family!

January 1, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Troy

To the loved ones of those lost.... know that your loss is being felt around the globe, that your grief is shaed by many that you will never know... you are in our prayers.

January 1, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  17. MJ

This shows that civilians are sacrificing as well as military, women as well as men. The commitment by the West to try and bring change to Afghanistan is all-encompassing. It is just so difficult to accept that it is mostly young adults who are making this sacrifice when it should be us old farts. Why does war always take the best, while the older generation sits comfortably in their living rooms back home?

I hope this message gets across to the Afghan people. They need to know that we Westerners are not just soldiering there, but building and communicating. This message needs to get right down to average Afghani, living in every village, in every region.

And thank you CNN for covering this story about Canadians. Nice to know we are on your radar. Especially for the sake of our young people.

January 1, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  18. Paul from Toronto, Canada

My heart goes out to Michelle and the 4 soldiers who were killed. They died with honor and valor. Canada has never taken the easy road by being in a combat free zone, we've been in the thick of it since 2002. Any Canadian with true patriotism is hurt deeply every time a Canadian or an American is injured or killed in war. Our countries have been the best of friends and allies since WW1. The Pacifists say that we should not be there and that North Americans should be peace keepers. Well, sometimes there is war to accomplish peace, just like WW1, WW2, Korea etc. We didn't start the war. If you let political correctness rule your agenda, you become an easy target. Let us make 2010 a better year.

Cheers,

Paul from Toronto, Canada.

January 1, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  19. Gary Betts

It took long enough to do a story on this Canadian journalist, considering she was killed on Dec 30. I'm still waiting for CNN to mention that 4 Canadian soldiers were killed in the same blast.

January 1, 2010 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  20. remote

They have really died in vain. They definately have died with great belief and faith, but have inadvertently sacrificied their own souls for demonic imperialism. They fight for the wrong side, apparently.

January 1, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  21. Robert S

My deepest sympathy to the families of the 4 fallen soldiers as we know their choice would never had been to place their children in harms way, for any reason. And while It's sad that Ms. Lang has lost her life, it is a choice she made for her own reasons, with obvious risks accepted... and sometimes, in my opinion, for the wrong reasons.

I think the medias' priority focus on highlighting any journalist's misfortunes, in such a scenario, is self serving, but more importantly, relatively lessens the value of military lives lost.

As with other human misfortunes, the media has taken the opportunity to promote their own, and their own interests, through "glamafication" of misfortunes on the "battleground stage". It's not just enough to report thoroughly and accurately of the occurrence, and focusing on the tragedies suffered by the soldiers, but the media has literally created "stars" of war correspondents and glamorized their recognition status, for obvious self interest.

Much of the reporting and "production values" through which these star correspondents broadcast their information, is trite and lacks real substance. Christiane Amanpour is is the "poster child" for shallow, self serving promotion, "reporting", on the backs of fallen soldiers.

If these high-profiled journalists really had courage, and want their reporting to have some real impact on avoiding the tragedies of young women and men losing their lives needlessly, then these correspondents should be investigating, openly, in the "battlefield" halls of our government buildings in Washington, and asking some tough questions of the decision makers. But that's a battlefield a bit too dangerous for their careers and their employers. I would suggest that these star journalists show some real bravery and follow the likes of Michael Moore.

Ms. Amanpour, and the likes, have missed an opportunity to show real bravery, and to make a positive difference in the world, as they should have produced real and honest investigative reporting in Washington, particularly of the Bush administration. But at the end of the day, it's about fame and money, not the fallen soldiers.

I'm in the media business.

January 1, 2010 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  22. im wellie from iraq

i live in iraq and i heard every day that some jenoilist killed in this country .those who sacriface in their lives just to let us know what is goining on in the ground should never been forgotable becouse these guys try to light the kandils in front of our ways
    i feel sorry for Micheel and offer my condonlces to her familly

January 1, 2010 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  23. wellei

hey i feel sorry for those who fall in action particulary the joleanists the problem is that we r facing acruicial enemy the enemy whic dosnt recoginise between what is jeonolist or kids or soliders
    but those who still fightjust to get truth and spreading it among people will desrrve much appriciats

January 1, 2010 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  24. Rick

When I use to work in Michigan (roughly 8 years ago), it seemed no one even believed that Canada did anything worthwhile internationally. Therefore the roughly 4 seconds of coverage on CNN regarding the 4 Candian soldiers killed alonside the jounalist bothered me. They all and we all (regardless of nationality) really deserved more.

January 1, 2010 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
  25. RPizarro

Our sadness continues to grow knowing that people, our people who were there working to protect us or to bring us the news were killed. The sadness stems from the fact that those who were killed were, in many ways trying to do the right thing, in a manner that they saw fit. May God bless them, their families and our countries, the US and Canada. My condolences to their families. My prayers to their families. I am so sad and sorry about your loses. My prayers are with you.

January 1, 2010 at 3:34 am | Report abuse |
  26. Damon De Marco, Calgary

I agree with #54 – if we don't deal with these terrorists quicky and mercillesly, they will deal with us (Canada and US and the rest of the free world) with no mercy. The people of the free world must show these extremists that they have no place in this decade – 2010 is a new year and a new decade, Eradicate all forms of extremism – cut off the head of the monster. Let all the good people in the free world enjoy a beautiful new decade and let the people of USA, Canada and Zionist State of Israel (Holy Land) be blessed to ensure this can happen

January 1, 2010 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
  27. Bill McMahon

To the famiies of Canadian and American soldiers who have been lost since 9/11, I can not express my gratitute enough. The burden you shoulder is far gretaer than the rest, and I can not even begin to undestand. Many of us in the "North" do not understand that our way of life is under attack, but I assume they soon will. Fanatics are fought with actions and not words! My justice always prevail! Thank-you to all our allies and may we stand together always!

January 1, 2010 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  28. Sten Habiloff

Now, the world can see what Israel and its soldiers have been facing up to – they are on the front lines of FUNDAMENTALISM and have been for a long time. These people are heroes and maybe the US and Canadians can take solace in the face of adversity. Long live freedom, may the soul of righteosness prevail and the scourge of the decade, FUNDAMENTALISM die a quick death.

January 1, 2010 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  29. friday's mom

In Canada, we are heartbroken for all the brave soldiers we lose in Afghanistan. As much as I want all our boys home (yours and ours), they are doing what has to be done. CNN, thanks for noticing.

January 1, 2010 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  30. Glen

Canada is not mentioned because CNN still uses the Bush's Administration practices as we were not part of the willing when it came to war. "If you're not with us, you're against us" mentality. RIP, you did us proud.

January 1, 2010 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  31. Jean Claude Patenaude

Je voudrais dire que nous venons de perdre 4 jeunes Canadian qui avait le coeur d'aller représanté notre pays avec fièreté et courage , a vos quatres je vous salut et vous aller être dans mais prière pour toujours avec les 134 autres braves . Un jour j`espêre un monument en votre honneur sera elevé pour montré tous le courage que vous aviez . mes condéléance a tous les familles .JC Patenaude

January 1, 2010 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  32. Earl Stonehocker

Thanks to CNN for finally putting a story at the front of the news about our Canadian neighbors. You only have to look as far as to the origins of the nationality of soldiers that died to realize that United States is not fighting this war alone. A great thanks should go out to our neighbors to the north for standing beside us and sharing in our losses for a cause that must be won. I am one American that is greatful for all that Canada has done. Her soldiers have fought in the toughest places right along our own. Little is on the evening news here in the lower fourty-eight about our own soldiers efforts in Afghanistan. I notice when viewing Yahoo World news that the Canadian media has more stories about what is actually going on there than our own media. Incidentally, CNN, Where is your Afghanistan reporters? ABC was apparently the only Amercan network that had a reporter at the Battle of Now Zad. You are better at reporting the news from there than what you were but us Americans should not need to rely on the Canadian press to learn what our soldiers are enduring.

January 1, 2010 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  33. w.Deepani Gilroy

These Brave children of God have left their rented tent on earth to settle down in their permanent home where their is no sorrow, No pain, there fore no tears but ever lasting happiness just like the way My lord God of Isreal has shown me through two visions.I love you all forever for the remarkable humanity that has left.

January 1, 2010 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  34. ging

The loss of any person is – not acceptable. There is no reason for war. Yet, I totally understand the need to defend against aggression. My heart goes out to all the families of the fallen. By their grace and scarifice we continue on. May the future extinguish the need for defense against aggression.

Peace to all

January 1, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  35. Solival Menezes from USA & Canada

Sad, very sad .... But, people like Ms.Lang and all these soldiers, Canadians and of other nationalities, killed in places far from their homes, work and fight for the freedom of us all. Thanks for this. And our condolences to their families.

December 31, 2009 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Nora

To John from Alberta

You might have an inferiority complex, but why are you apologizing for the entire nation of Canada? You do not speak for me. You want to bow down to America be my guest, but we are a nation that can hold our own.

We can hold our heads up high when our news also covers the rest of the world.

December 31, 2009 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Nora

It is always a sad day when any soldiers from any country are killed. What is also sad is how CNN ignores other nations' casualties while they report on American losses. The U.S.A. is not the only country who has troops dying in the line of duty.

Along with Canadian reporter Michele Lang who died yesterday, there were 4 brave soldiers who also lost their lives. Yet this a.m. John Roberts reported there were 8 U.S. deaths.

Canadian losses count too. Bless all the troops who go over there to try to make the world better and we mourn those who lose their lives trying to do so.

December 31, 2009 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Marco

What is the mission of the Canadian military in Afganistan? The Afgan Folk has made it very clear that you are not welcome there. Please pull out of Afganistan immediately, no Afgan soldier ever entered Canada and started to shoot around.

December 31, 2009 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  39. John888

Get the troops out. Canadian, American, UK. (The rest of NATO – do some heavy lifting for change.). We can keep the the taliban and al-quaida on the run with air strikes and special forces raids and provide military advisors to the Afghan army (if there is one) – but that's it!! If the Afghans love the 12th century so much – leave them there. You know darn well the locals who are smiling and waving as our troops drive by during the day are planting roadside bombs at night (or turning a blind eye to it). They all know one day we're gone. Let's stop this now!!!!!

December 31, 2009 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Andrew Huestis

I would also like to extend my heart felt condolences to the 4 soldiers families and the young lady who was tragically killed. May your memmory live on forever. I truly appreciate your efforts in making our country and world a safer and better place to live. I have two nephews stationed in Petawawa Ontario who will be deployed in mid January 2010. I am scared for their safety but know that they are the best trained soldiers in the world with conviction and a sense of honor that knows no boundaries. They make me and their aunt Jacqueline very very proud. Jack by the way is my wife in todays article. She was concerned what kind of backlash she would receive if she printed her name as Jacqueline. I agree with her thought and she makes me very proud to say what she did, even though she was too shy to print her name.

December 31, 2009 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Canadian JK

This is very sad but we must carry on with our mission and support our troops and leaders

December 31, 2009 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  42. North

Thx for the small mention of the four Canadians killed, very big of your Merican media to acknowledge considering they only print or talk about what will make them money these days...

December 31, 2009 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  43. peibossman

i am astonished that CNN is covering this Canadian story...Canada is so left out of the American media...

December 31, 2009 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  44. calgarian

I know Michelles loving fiance Michael . I spoke to him a couple weeks ago .. and he talked about the list of wedding details he was taking care of while she was away. His list of responsibilities for the ceremony. So cute ! He talked about wanting children and how right they were together .. and this trip was the longest they'd been apart. When I told him she was a lucky girl after learning of their engagement .. he stated that HE was the lucky one.

I'm sure there are similar stories from the other four who died. God bless Michelle and the fallen four.

December 31, 2009 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Kelly

I was not surprised to see the headlines and no mention of our four Canadian soldiers died in the line of duty. For some strange reason CNN does not see this as an important news story. I watched a recent program on CNN regarding the situation in Afganistan and the panel of journalist did not mention CANADA as a participant in the war. Our brave soldiers are fighting alongside the US troops. Please make this an important story in the future!
    May they all rest in peace!

December 31, 2009 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  46. BEN

wait...fox news said Canadian soldiers aren't in Afghanistan... anyways respect to all fallen coalition troops

December 31, 2009 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Guido

The reason why CNN does not report on Canadian soldier deaths is because it's an American news organization, not a world wide one.

December 31, 2009 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Ian

My heartfelt sympathies to the families of all those killed and wounded in that conflict. It is not easy,especially at this time of year when people are out celebrating. CNN long ago stopped being a serious information network. Now it's mostly news as entertainment. Notice how anything that CNN finds "newsworthy " is played as if on rewind mode and they dig up any "expert" who is still breathing to offer his or her opinion on ther subject. For real news and serious commentary try watching the BBC.

December 31, 2009 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Dave Levinson

The loss of this outstanding individual should remind us of the risks that journalists voluntarily take in order to to give us some sense of facts we need to know if we want to try and make sense of a troubled world. Maybe some readers will hold back from accusations of press bias, in whichever direction, in recognition of the difficulties taken by our journalists in the free press we are privileged to have in our democratic countries like the US, Canada and other allies trying to deal with the Afghan mess.

December 31, 2009 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  50. John C

As a proud ex Canadian Military member I am once again saddened by the news of our fallen heroes. That hero also and without any hesitation includes my fellow Calgarian Ms. Michelle Lang. Like those fallen heros, Ms. Lang was also doing her job, regretfully she will never have the opportunity to do it again.

I have to apologize to my American neighbours who have hopefully read these comments. I don't wish for you to get the impression that we as a country are a bunch of "cry babies" who wine and snivel just because of the lack of CNN coverage. We tend to wine and snivel at just about everything. As a country we tend to find ourselves constantly under the glare of our "big brother" and at times we just wish to have our own time in the sandbox. Don't take it personally, it isn't a slight against you as a country or people....it's just us Canadians once again dealing with our own inferiority complex.

I will once again say a prayer tonight for my fellow brothers who have regretfully paid the ultimate sacrifice. They only wished to make the world a safer and much more secure place to be in, but regretfully there are people out there who just happen to completely disagree with our way of live.

As an ex Canadian soldier, I have had many opportunities to serve with my fellow American soldiers and I can honestly say that they are a wonderful group of human beings. I am also very sorry for the losses that they have suffered as well.

John, Calgary, Alberta.

December 31, 2009 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Sheena

I would like to express my sincere sympathy and condolences to the family and friends of the four Canadian soldiers and Ms Lang. I would also like to express my condolences to the family of the Canadian soldier who was killed Christmas Eve.

More could be said, probably should be said.

This is neither the time nor place.

My prayers are with you all.

December 31, 2009 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Kim

To: George Harrold
    Sir you could not be more wrong when you say that Americans don't even know that Canadians are fighting in this War on Terrorism along the side of many American soldiers as well as Polish, Irish, Austrailian and many other countries within the NATO world. Every solider, every journalist and every cilivain lost in this horrible war against extremism is felt world wide. God Bless the families that have lost loved ones.

December 31, 2009 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Karen - Canadian moving to the ATL in 2010

Thank you CNN for posting this. My sincere condolences to Ms. Lang's fiance and family. I will again show my support for the soldiers and give my condolences to their families, as I once again stand in sorrow with my Canadian flag on the Harwood Ave bridge as the repatriation convoy goes along the Highway of Heroes.

December 31, 2009 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Mark

My condolences to all the family and friends of the fallen. I am Canadian and proud and I spend alot of time in the US and i really like America. I have the same feelings of disappointment that our soldiers deaths do not get coverage in the US as well but I assure you that every American soldier knows we are over there. They train together and share levels of command with US and Canadian Generals. Does it really matter that CNN does not cover the loss? Not to the families I know that. If America could see a documentary on the highway of heros and see the line ups from Trenton to downtown Toronto the " 100 miles of mourning" It sends chills up my back every time!!!! Happy New Year to us all and I will say a prayer tonight for our fallen Canadian and American

December 31, 2009 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Shenna

As a Canadian from Ottawa, Ontario let me first express my deepest condolences for the families of the soldiers as well as Michelle Lang. Never does it become routine, for me personally at least, when I hear of one more caualty in this war. I am not sure how I feel about the war, should we stay, pull out, was it needed, is it still? I won't claim to have nearly enough knowledge when it comes to war and the 'reasons' for it. I only wish it did not have to be a reality in the world my 17 year old son and 4 month old twin son and daughter will have to grow up and live in. I often wonder what legacy we are leaving our children and grandchilren but to be honest, it hurts my head to think about that.

Second, the headline specifies Canadian Journalist was killed, I am not certain what articles CNN may have had earlier but I wanted to point out that there were also 4 soldiers, 2 age 21 and 2 age 28, killed with Michelle Lang and should have been mentioned in the headline. Our troops are there alongside your troops, as well as other coalition troops. We suffer loses of our men and women, we have families here whose loved ones are away serving their Country. We have men and women equally devoted to protecting our freedoms as any soldier from USA, Britain, etc. We too are proud of our Country and those who serve it. Too often when the war is discussed in the US, and allies are mentioned, coalition members are mentioned Canada seems to be left out. Too often Canada gets blended in with the US as though we are one, but we are not. I love the US, its land, its people, its politics, everything. However, Canada is my home and I am proud of it. We are like a 'little sister' to the US but we are a Country on our own.

Please mention our soldiers who died with honor and doing their duty when it was asked of them. And don't forget, Canada and our soldiers are fighting, and dying, right alongside yours.

I will pray for the 4 soldiers and Michelle's loved ones. Thank you for your sacrifice.

Shenna

December 31, 2009 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Abbie Aryan

As an Afghan i feel ashamed of this tragic lost of life. What a terrible news on this new year's eve, my heart goes out to the family. I am very sorry Canada!!!!!

December 31, 2009 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  57. fabian Anierobi

Ms Lang and the soldiers, may God almighty grant you rest in his Kingdom. Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!.

December 31, 2009 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Don Watson

this is very sad. the answer to these types of deaths : mind your own business and do not intrude on other countries holy lands. No one should be there besides who lives there.

December 31, 2009 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Jason

I agree CNN does basically ignores Canadas presence over there. It is quite a big deal up here. Everytime a fallen soldier returns to Canada they travel down the Highway of Heros. I witnessed it once and it really hit home. Google it, it is really amazing.

December 31, 2009 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  60. BRYANT

Thank you to the following posters #'s3 9 10 13 14 18 21 23 from a fellow Canadian. Some of the trivial stories that CNN covers as headlines is pathetic (Prince sleeps on the streets of London almost hit by street sweeper). The deaths of 4 brave soldiers buried in the middle of a story of 1 journalist"s(not downplayig her death) is pathetic. CHIMO.

December 31, 2009 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  61. scribe

May she and the soldiers rest in peace. This war is getting no where near ready for transition and I hope the people of Canada can do what those of us in the US seem unable to do: get out! As a vet myself, I know that when duty calls, one must respond, but the United States has obviously shown that foreign politics and crisis intervention are not her strong points (among the laundry list of the others).

Rest well, Michelle, you did your job well. May our governments do the same.

scribe

December 31, 2009 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Chad---USA!!!

If you want to be in the sand box, JOIN THE MILITARY! The camera doesnt show what really happens. It doesnt give the full truth. Ive been there and I know! STOP SENDING REPORTERS OVER, THEY DO NOT NEED TO BE THERE! With that said, im very sorry to the families of the canadian soldiers and to this reporter.

December 31, 2009 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Dakota from Canada

My heart aches for all our civilian and armed forces losses and those of all nations who are participating in protecting our freedom. I have visited the US a number of times and when talking to the citizens there I do find sympathy. Having said that it is disappointing to not see the US news media do a better job acknowledging the Canadian efforts in trying to achieve the same goals and objectives as the US and other coutries. Don't ignore us because of the size of our population, etc. but recognize our dedication and scarifice as we do those of other countries.

December 31, 2009 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Berhanu Bihonegne

My condolonces to the families of the solders & MS Lang. I was shocked when I heared the news but all those killed were doing something precious which can be remeberwed forever. May the Almighty God give peace to the immediate families

December 31, 2009 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  65. k ward

Although I am saddened by the loss of our troops and the reporter...we have NO business being in the first place. We are known around the world as a peace keeping nation. We wouldnt be there if it were not for the fact, that the Americans up and pulled out to go to Iraq.

If you want to support our troops...then pull them the hell out NOW!

December 31, 2009 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Canada

There were also ( Four ) 4 ! Soldiers killed as well !
    Least We Forget !

December 31, 2009 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Naftali

I also wish we could get out of Afghanistan. Instead of wasting lives and resources, we could just aerial assault any camp or establishment detected by satellite. Instead of 10 cruise missiles, there could be tens of thousands over a period of ten or twenty years. Establish a geostationary satellite orbit over all of Afghanistan and continue to pummel any sizable force. We have more important concerns, like regime change in Iran and stabilizing Iraq where the actual resource are located. An oil pipe line or poppy fields is no reason to lose American (US or Canadian) lives.

December 31, 2009 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  68. general Panyk

Ovidiu....

I completely agree with you...

December 31, 2009 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Ann Marie ( Newfoundland)

Michelle, God Bless you for all you have done and have tired to do to make this world a better place. My thoughts and prayers are with your family at this very sad time. My thoughts and prayers are also with the families of the four soldiers who also gave their lives for us to live in a better place.

December 31, 2009 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  70. William

God Bless you for your bravery!

December 31, 2009 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  71. D Gareau

I feel sad with the loss of many lives over the last 8 plus years. THE REALITY OF THE WAR IS UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW TO DEFEND YOURSELF AGAINST A PRIMITIVE MADE BOMB THAT OF WHICH HAS TAKEN THE MOST LIVES AGAINST ALL THE ARMOUR AND TECHNOLOGY YOU WILL NOT WIN. SECONDLY IF YOU LOOK AT THE RELIGION OF THE ENEMY THEY BELIEVE THE BETTER LIFE IS THE NEXT LIFE, THEY HAVE NO VALUE TO LIVE OR DIE. TWO BASIC CONCEPTS. I THINK WE NEED TO INTERROGATE GEORGE AND DICK BECAUSE THEY ARE THE ONES THAT PROFITED AN ORCHESTRATED THIS WHOLE SHERADE, AND STILL COULD BE INVOLVED INDIRECTLY TO THIS DAY.......... MY THOUGHTS ARE RUDE BUT I THINK MIGHT SPEED UP THE PROCESS, FEED ALL THE BOMBS AND AMMO TO THE TALIBAN SO THEY CAN TAKE OF THEMSELVES.

December 31, 2009 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Ryan from Halifax

Re: Jack & Ex Coelis
    While I share your sentiments, I do have to point out that you've both missed the 24/7 News Cycle Beat – after reading this story on CBC first, I immediately, as usual, jumped to the American news sites to check up because, as is usually the case, even our mostly worldy Canadian news stories have a trickle-in-effect with the likes off CNN & MSNBC.
    But guys, this one was different, and rightfully so. CNN main page had Michelle's image as their display, and the CIA employee story was within – WITHIN – the Canadian tragedy story; MSNBC coupled this story with the CIA headline, but it was granted front page status none-the-less.
    I do agree that American knowledge, at least from a newsstand view point, on Canada's (and all of NATO, for that matter) role in Afghanistan is very short sighted. And iIn my view, this is not only typical of the Canadian banter for years – Good work put in, and hardly a pat on the back from our friendly Yank friends – but also detrimental to American psyche, the one that believes it is solely their war and that they're in it alone.

We Canadians need not any American acknowledgment of our own actions – we're a humble nation without it – but rather our American friends need to know the efforts of the world in their bid to avoid isolation.

December 31, 2009 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Glenn from Canada

This is a very sad day. My heart goes out to Miichelle's loved ones and those of the 4 brave Canadian soldiers who lost their lives. This war needs to stop. Too many people, fighting for freedom, have died. There is a stretch of highway in Ontario called the Highway of Heroes. It is named in honor of our war dead from Afghanistan. Their bodies are taken along this stretch of road from the air port to the morgue in Toronto. Thousands of people line this route to pay tribute to these brave soldiers. Sadly this stretch of road is becoming very busy. Thank you brave soldiers for your contribution to world peace. You will never be forgotten. And thank you CNN for posting this story.

December 31, 2009 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Philippe

I need to agree with Jack about CNN's near reluctance to acknowledge Canada`s significant contributions in blood and effort in Afganistan. Rest assured that our media often carries news of American losses wherever they occur. Your viewers would think that the only troopps there are from the US, Britain, and some place called NATO, where most don't actually fight anyway. We all know that the US contribution is the largest and most costly but to have the loss of our own 135 or so men and women virtually ignored by our closest neighbours does hurt. It also reinforces an all too prevalent American attitude that Canada is a nation that it needs to defend itself against with Border controls that are somewhat over the top. Remember, Americans don't need a Passport to get into Canada, they need one to get home!

December 31, 2009 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Bernie Mccluskey

I meant to say that we have now lost over 140 Canadian Soldiers but CNN has nothing to say about it.

December 31, 2009 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Sean

Jack-It was on yesterday alongside the CIA deaths. Regards, Sean.

December 31, 2009 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Ed William

i feel sadness and very deep feelings that we losing our sweet people in a war in those places far from our blessed country Canada , i belive that our lord jesuis will bless her because she was doing something very great and useful to show how bad our troops face over there , please all canadian pray for the lord to keep our country safe and peacfull for all of us and bless the way for the united states to be safe from those people who threaten our life and peace with the name of thier relgion .
    God willing to keep his promise that he will never leave us alone till the end of days
    i wish our prime minister think wise and well how to keep our troops safe and get them back to our blessed land canada .

December 31, 2009 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  78. David

Tahnk you for ackowleding the efforts and intersts of our allies to the North. Canada for some reason has often been too neglected of it's abilities and support to all the Allied countries. We should be more acknowleding. My heart goes out to Michelle's loved one's, and colleagues around the world. May Peace come soon....

December 31, 2009 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Pam

This tragedy truely hits home with this Militiary Family. God Bless the ones who've sacrificed their lives and a special prayer to the family that's left behind. Your sacrifices are not in vain,

December 31, 2009 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Ex Coelis

Like Jack, I've never posted comment here before but today, feel obliged. Thank you Jack for putting my feelings into words. I too am a proud but heartbroken Canadian. I served three tours in Afghanistan and am very proud of that. Proud of the fact that I not only served with the finest army in the world but also proud of the mission we're accomplishing there. I am also proud to say that because of the work we're(all) doing there, these five people DID NOT die in vein(Bill Hatton take note). I am so tred of hearing 'Support the Troops but bring them home', Nothing more that morally bereft, gutless rhetoric from ignorant people. A huge thank you from a Canadian soldier to those that do support the mission and are proud that we're(all) there. Thank you CNN and thank you for your kind and cogent words, Jack

December 31, 2009 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Sara

To all those who say the media, or journalists, don't get it right when reporting the news of Afghanistan or Iraq, here is blaring proof that journalists yearn for the truth so bad, they will risk their lives for it.
    As an aspiring journalist I look up to Ms. Lang for her sacrifice, Cananda has lost a great journalistic mind.

December 31, 2009 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Mike a Canadian in NY

It is with great sadness that I send my condolences to the Families and Friends of the Canadian Soldiers and to Ms. Lang. Also my sympathies to Families and Friends of the Americans also killed these past days. Such a tremendous loss and sacrifice. Our Men and Women serving should be remembered with the greatest Respect each and every day.

December 31, 2009 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Tar

Yes, send your prayers.
    Another five lives snuffed at the altar of American imperialism.

December 31, 2009 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Quoc Nguyen

If you can't define winning the war ,then you need to get out to save the life of all Americans soldier. When you start a business, you always write a business plan . when yơu don't make a profit you then exit the business.
    when you go to war you also need a plan, if you know you can not win then you need to stop.
    why waist more money,more life,and more time to fails.?

December 31, 2009 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Peter Barrett

Remember-Politicians make Wars folks...NOT the average everyday man in the street ..and I continue to believe that there's a lot more people like myself who are NOT afraid to declare and step-up to the plate : WE THE PEOPLE HERE DON'T WANT THIS WAR !

December 31, 2009 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Ovidiu

Get out of that hellhole. If any country attacks us or support terrorism, bomb them back to stone age. Afghanistan should have been erased from the map in 2001 along with everyone living there.

December 31, 2009 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  87. George Harrold

Most Americans don't even know that Canada is over in Afghanistan helping with the war effort.
    I was quite surprised that this tragedy made it to the CNN site.
    CNN is so wound up in its countries' affairs as it never mentions Canadians dying overseas.
    This must be an anomaly for the CNN editors to let this story slip through. I'm happy it did.
    Condolences to the families.

December 31, 2009 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Tara from Canada

My condolences as well to all of their families. I agree with Ann and thank CNN as well.

December 31, 2009 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Jennifer

To those who think journalists don't belong in war zones:
    I am the wife of a CNN cameraman. My husband has been deployed to war zones, and it's not for the money. Honestly, he makes more money staying home and working overtime. He has a very strong belief that he must use his talents and skills to deliver information to people–unbiased, honest information about what's happening in a war zone. Freedom of the press is so important (look at what's happening in Iran!) and without these brave individuals we would all risk being fed information that was not accurate or true. Our whole family sacrifices when he goes to a war zone, but our pride in him living his calling and doing an honest, good job outweighs those sacrifices. My heart goes out to this journalist's family & I thank her for performing a service to those of us who can't be there to observe the war first hand. Of course my heart goes out to soldiers who have also lost their life–the death of the journalist is no more or less important than any other loss of life.

December 31, 2009 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Doug

My heartfelt sympathy to the family of Michelle and the soldiers killed in this action. Canada's population is relatively small and for every soldier we lose, we lose a great Canadian and the pain and loss is real.

December 31, 2009 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Hindusan

Jack, CNN doesn't even offer coverage when American soldiers are killed, what makes you think they would care about us. When its a human interest story is when CNN covers it and thats what makes them so popular.

December 31, 2009 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Jack

I have never posted a message on CNN before, but I feel I have to. Why is it that the only place it's mentioned on CNN's entire website that 4 Canadian soldiers lost their lives is buried within the story of the Canadian journalist dying?? Make no mistake, this is a terrible tragedy for everyone involved and my heartfelt sympathy goes out to the family of this young lady; however, I feel it would be respectful of CNN to at least have the decency to give this story some coverage. A gunman killling people in Finland gets coverage, but soldiers risking their lives to try to make the world a better place don't? Please don't forget CNN, your neighbours to the North, and the fact that a lot of Canadians access your website on a daily basis. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. Signed, a proud, heartbroken Canadian.

December 31, 2009 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Bill Hatton

Non-Armed forces have no business being in War-Zones! I so hate her loss for her family but, I've always said: Nobody should be in Iraq or Afghanistan to make a name for themselves or the money they get paid (which could never be enough). Ever so often you hear of journalist losing their lives over there. Keep them home or they all could face the same fate. I have a 60 year old friend that's been over there training dogs and dis-arming bombs for 7 years and coming home this year. He's made a lotta money doing so but, ah what can you say he'll be home soon. Just gettum home safely.

December 31, 2009 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  94. k Patricia Thrane

Sincere Condolences to the families of Michelle Lang, and the Canadian Soldiers who died with her.
    She was a brave girl with a big heart and a strong mind.

December 31, 2009 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Steve in Las Vegas,NV

My condolences to her family, co-workers,friends,all who knew her and her fiancé. This is such a tragic loss, Sadly she died doing what she loved. May God give them comfort and strength to get through this very difficult time.

December 31, 2009 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Hindusan

Im from Canada and this is just heartbreaking. Especially the fact a journalist has died. I think Canada and the rest of the world should stick to our own business and get out of Afghanistan. We have lost more soldiers is this coutnry than the people who died in 9/11. We have wasted billions of dollars. And we have just destabalized a third world country. Though I do not like the Taliban, I am sure that sooner or later democracy would find a way to creep into Afghanistan without our help, just like how it did in Communist China.

December 31, 2009 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Thanato

4 Soldiers were also killed. Do not understate the loss of that day.

Lest We Forget.

December 31, 2009 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  98. Ann

First of all, I want to send my condolences to the family members of Michelle and the soldiers that were killed, and my thoughts to all of the soldiers over there fighting for our freedom.

Second, thank you, CNN, for bringing attention to this story. Sometimes I wonder if the world forgets, or even knows, that Canadians are there and suffering losses.

December 31, 2009 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  99. Joe from Canada

My thoughts and condolences are with Ms Lang and the soldiers. I commend the work journalists do day in and day out in Afghanistan. I had the opportunity to befriend a few while I was there, and they are every bit as courageous as soldiers...they embrace danger, and dont even carry a gun! I was nervous even while carrying a weapon. RIP Ms Lang and the 4 troops.

December 31, 2009 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  100. Laurel, Canada

My condolences to the families of the Canadian soldiers and Ms. Lang. Your sacrifice will not be forgotten.

December 31, 2009 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |