December 7th, 2009

McChrystal's war

Since the announcement of a troop increase, observers are calling Afghanistan "Obama's War." But really, the war is in the hands of Obama's commanding Gen. Stanley McChrystal.

Related: McChrystal talks to troops

1. Richard Rankin

Yes it does work that way. If you don't vote it doesn't. CNN says "fewer than half of Americans agree with the president on issues important to them". Who does the term "Taliban" refer to? Certainly not the same people it did on 9/11/ They forbid opium growing. Now there's a 100,000,000 pound surplus and more people die from Afghani heroin in a year than have died in the war.

Maybe it they're called "Al Qaeda". But McChrystal's strategy is flawed. It took Alexander the Great took 1 month to conquer Persia and 3 years to subdue Afghanistan. The there was the British in the 19th century, the Russians in the 20th and Operation Anaconda in the 21st.

McChrystal is a nice guy. The strategy should be simply complete surrender or complete destruction. No surrender then we go in, we kick ass, we get out. No more Mr. Nice Guy. I like thermobarics, but precision weapons are good all around. We can stop every once in a while and ask everyone alive through the ringing in their ears if they've had enough.

And torch the opium.

December 14, 2009 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. http://twitter.com/whybs

"(the President and Congress) do report to me"

Richard, sorry but it doesn't quite work that way. Besides, the majority (at least for now) supports President Obama's strategy in Afghan.

Iraq was a misguided war. The Taliban & Al Qaeda are the right target. We'll get them.

Just watch!

December 14, 2009 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Richard Rankin

I'd like to get the General's email if anyone can help me. I disagree with current policies and I'd like to discuss it with him. I'm just an armchair general and he's doesn't take orders from me. But the people he does get orders from (the President and Congress) do report to me. I gave them their jobs and I can fire them. I'm a citizen of the United States of America and this is a democracy.

December 13, 2009 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  4. AJM

God Bless the men and women who serve our country with valor and honor. Please keep them safe and bring ALL our troops home.

December 9, 2009 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  5. http://twitter.com/whybs

McChrystal,

You ave very capable! Trust your instinct!

My only suggestion… "walk softly and beat the crap out of the Taliban & Al Qaeda!"

Good luck & make our country proud!

December 7, 2009 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. http://twitter.com/whybs

That's true - it's McChrystal's responsibility to win in Afghanistan! He is very capable. If he can't do it, it's highly unlikely that anyone else could!

Obama is strategic and have outlined soft, achievable goals, helping assure success! Remember our goal is not to destroy every Taliban or Al Qaeda. Our goal is to weaken them enough to break their back. It's like keeping the mafia at bay - we can't sock every mafia but we don't want the U.S. to be like Sicily!

Obama is strategic and effective. McChrystal is a capable executioner.

Prediction... we'll see Mullah Omar and/or Osama bin's heads by 9/11/11!

Just watch! -